Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2009, 02:44 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker01
Damon made other scientific products as well. so it kinda fits

I heard (joke) that Estes was getting into Pet Toys for dogs and cats!
They could also do a 'Rocket Frisbee'

Bob

I want one of these! My wife's Aunt Iris has this #^##!@&% Bichon............
Old 03-13-2009, 03:04 PM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
Even terminally hip people should know two Hee Haw references: BR-549, and the little song whose chorus goes:

I searched the world over
And I thought I found true love.
You met another and
Phbttttt...
You wuz gone.

It's important to "get" pop cultural references, and Hee Haw was definitely pop culture when it was on TV in the '70's. Plus, Barbi Benton and some other nice ladies were regulars.
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!
Old 03-13-2009, 03:52 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
The more time I spend reading bills, laws, NRM's, interpretations, letters, FAQ's, and other justifications for the existence of government, the more confusing this argument becomes:
-big snip-

Nice post Carl. Unfortunately some people will continue to insist that the new laws apply to model rockets in spite of the facts.

Mario
Old 03-13-2009, 04:20 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
The more time I spend reading bills, laws, NRM's, interpretations, letters, FAQ's, and other justifications for the existence of government, the more confusing this argument becomes:

From HR4040 Preamble:
To establish consumer product safety standards and other safety requirements for children’s products and to reauthorize and modernize the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
From the CPSC site concerning HR4040:
Q. What is a children's product?
A. A children’s product is one designed or intended primarily for children 12 years of age or younger. If a product is intended for adults or for general use by consumers of all ages, then it is not intended primarily for children.

If you still think a model rocket is primarily a children's product; from ASTM963 97.200.50 1.4:
1.4 Articles not covered by this specification are as follows: ... Model kits in which the finished item is not primarily of play value... Powered models of aircraft, rockets, boats, and land vehicles...

If there is still a question about whether it is a children's product; on January 15, 2009, the CPSC issued the following statement (and NRM):
Manufacturers, importers, distributors, and retailers should also be aware that CPSC will not impose penalties against anyone for making, importing, distributing, or selling a children’s product to the extent that it is made of certain natural materials, such as wood, cotton, wool, or certain metals and alloys which the Commission has recognized rarely, if ever, contain lead.

If you have made it this far... The new "classics" line is not designed primarity for children, they are powered models, and they are made of "natural materials" instead of plastics that have the lead and pthalate problems, particularly when imported from China.

It is very likely that WalMart (and other big stores) have imposed their own set of standards that are more restrictive than the CPSC. In other words, WalMart may be telling vendors that they do not want to be caught selling "adult" products in the toy section that is loaded with "children's products." In my local WalMart, model rockets are surrounded with real toys that are clearly designed for and intended for the 12 and under market. If the model rockets were moved to the gun shop area, there would not be as much confusion as to whether a model rocket is a toy or general market product, which would be exempt. WalMart is probably taking the easy route and forcing ALL their suppliers to test ALL their products and give them "Get out of jail free cards." It does not cost WalMart anything and it is a super insurance policy. If I was at WalMart, that is what I would do.

I had originally thought that Estes-Cox had designed the "Classics" to get around the problems with lead, pthalates, and other imported toxins. Maybe so, but it is entirely likely that WalMart had other ideas.

First of all, what is the age stated on model rockets?
secondly, there is a company in North carolina who makes wooden toys/products that the feds came after and made them test those products at $4000 per testt. Naatural wood, that makes no sense.
And, you don't know down the line what the feds are going to do, and, what their interpritation is. It's better to be safe than sorry and lose everything because of these laws.

Ask Mattel, 2007 how many items did they have to pull around Christmas, f rom what I understand, it was them who pushed for this law to impose on other because of their losses.

One last thought, just because a product is intended for a specific age group what's to say that anyone either older or younger will be using that product?
Old 03-13-2009, 04:46 PM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
One last thought, just because a product is intended for a specific age group what's to say that anyone either older or younger will be using that product?

Sure, but Carl was quoting the CPSC's own regulations, which they obviously should be following.
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!
Old 03-13-2009, 04:51 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Are we getting to the point that we have idiots creating legislation to protect idiots from themselves? Oh what a vicious circle......

I guess eventually marbles can't be any smaller than a softball so they can't be swallowed.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:02 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
Are we getting to the point that we have idiots creating legislation to protect idiots from themselves? Oh what a vicious circle......

I guess eventually marbles can't be any smaller than a softball so they can't be swallowed.

Your correct on that one, the only ones to make out on this are lawyers and judges.

And, if you contact the CPSC, their take on HR4040 is much different than those of a lay person.

You just can't beat the feds no matter what, if they say the sky is green, you better shake you head yes and forget it, as we all know they are wrong.

What about the ATF and high power motors, they say one thing while everyone else says something else, bottom line REGULATIONS and lawsuits.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:32 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mperdue
Nice post Carl. Unfortunately some people will continue to insist that the new laws apply to model rockets in spite of the facts.

Mario

The feds will interpret the laws for their own benefit,and those of lawyers.

How about the classification on motors that said "Toy Propellant Devices"?

We can debate the CPSCHR4040 issue until we are blue in the face, but, if the feds decide otherwise, watch out. With the feds using up all of their money in the stimulis package, they need to look elsewhere for funding.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:26 PM
MMXCVII

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRThro
It's important to "get" pop cultural references, and Hee Haw was definitely pop culture when it was on TV in the '70's. Plus, Barbi Benton and some other nice ladies were regulars.

So far Barbi Benton is the only reference to Hee Haw I do get and it's not from watching the show.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:43 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by billspad
At the risk of appearing somewhat dense, I have to ask what that means. I Googled it and came up with a country band and gave up after a couple of bars of the song.

Watch "HEE HAW" on RFD-TV... ghrocketman never misses an episode on his favorite network-- RFD!!! (ducks and runs) OL JR