Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2012, 01:22 AM
BAR

Default Been asked to give a 4H Aerospace talk... suggestions??

Hey folks...

I'm going to be judging the 4H county fair in Indiana next month in the county my SIL is the 4H agent for, and I've been asked to do a presentation to the aerospace participants relating to rocketry... construction tips and general information about rocketry. I know some of you guys and gals have firsthand experience with this... I've dealt with groups of kids but not as a presenter... I'd like some suggestions from anybody willing to share... not sure exactly what the participation level will be, the age group, etc... I think from past years it's a fairly mixed bag... from elementary to high school age kids, a lot of them starting out, but some that "know the ropes" from past experience.

Also, if you know of any GREAT online resources (such as TRF, YORF, and RP, which I already sent to my SIL to pass on to the aerospace kids) with building tips, hints, tricks, ideas, and such, I'd love to have a link! I'd like to put together a hand-out sheet with a list of resources that the kids could use when they needed it. I know I want to add the Apogee site and Tim's "how to" videos to that list...

Thanks in advance! OL JR
Old 06-14-2012, 06:56 AM
Gentleman Rocketeer

Thumbs up

I'm sure you already have the 4H Guide to rocketry that I think doug posted to Sven's site...also the Civil Air Patrol guide is on that website last I checked
Old 06-14-2012, 07:09 AM
Paper Rocketeer

Well, the two people I'd consider the best experts in this department would be Jim Flis and Bunny (Mark Bundick). Both have done a huge amount of youth outreach and can give you plenty of ideas. I'd write to both.

Greg
Old 06-14-2012, 11:49 AM
Master Modeler

I'd make sure everyone knows the difference between model rocketry and fireworks. Similar root technology, different INTENT. Building the model and showing skill is more important than the simple "woosh."

I've worked through in my head, but not really written down, a talk about stability using a stiff piece of cardstock, pennies, and tape. Rough outline: You can show air resistance with the cardboard, center of gravity by taping the penny to the middle and an edge of the cardboard, and stability by throwing the weighted, middle-weighted, and edge of the cardboard.

Props:

Bring some unbuilt kits of various types, like an Alpha III and a simple balsa-finned model.

The same models, built but unfinished. A really nicely finished model ("Here is what they can look like if you are patient and use craftsmanship.")

A launcher, motors, igniters.

A cut-away motor diagram.

The classic model rocket flightplan diagram.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM