Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Swap Shoppe > Wanted: Dead or Alive!
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2009, 07:21 AM
rocket crazy

Default hawk hobbies super orbital transport

I've been trying to find the super orbital transport for awhile,Hawk hobbies does not reply to my calls and all the e-stores that sell thier product don't have it in stock.Can anyone help? Is Hawk hobbies still selling/producing kits? Thanks
Old 01-31-2009, 09:33 AM
Master Modeler

If Hawk's hobby doesn't pan out, Semroc has the upscale cones and everything else needed. I scratched mine before Hawk came out with their kit. You may want to pick up the Semroc OT kit as a reference, they've corrected some of the little scan errors found on Jimz plans. Excelsior can do the decals, or can be done at home on the injet or laser printer. I know most people would rather have a kit, I don't blame you there, but scratching might actually work out cheaper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  OT-on-pad-777.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  63.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  OT-upscale-first-flight-777.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  78.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  OT-upscale-seperation.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  64.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Ot-upscale-chute.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  80.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  OT-upscale-orbiter.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  43.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  OT-upscale-orbiter-glide2.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  68.1 KB  
Old 01-31-2009, 11:09 AM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Check with Commenweath Display.

They may have some. I'd call.

http://www.commonwealth.net/rocketstore/

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 01-31-2009, 11:40 AM
Underachiever

You can check with Rocketry Zone as well. Their website is currently down, but you should be able to get up with Dennis Tinney via email: rocketryzone@earthlink.net
Old 01-31-2009, 03:45 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

They stopped production of that kit over a year ago and were supposed to start kitting it again but don't think they have started up production again yet.
They stopped producing all of their kits a while ago due to a move I think.
Not sure if they got started up again or not.
I have one of their Super Orbital Transport kits and it is a great kit, but have not started it yet. (No, it's not for sale)
I think Commonwealth Displays may have some still.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 01-31-2009, 03:50 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
They stopped producing all of their kits a while ago due to a move I think.

I'm pretty sure they got set back by one of the hurricanes last year. I imagine any move was in response to the storm damage and not planned.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 01-31-2009, 03:54 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

I've started a scratch-built, based on a BT-60 main tube. Here it is pictured next to an Estes model (but with green decals). I got the upscaled decals from Excelsior. The orbiter tube is a Quest, I think -- it is something I had that was the appropriate scale in relation to the BT-60. I turned the cone myself. The main nose cone may get replaced with a balsa cone that is a more pointed, like the original. This is not a hard model to upscale, just enlarge a regular fin pattern set ~167% (based on ration of BT-60 to BT-50 on the original). You may have to play with a copier to get the settings scaling it the exact amount you need. I measured the longest root edge of a wing, and then determined what the root edge would be on the upscale, and tweaked the copier to give me that measurement.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp

Last edited by LeeR : 02-01-2009 at 12:01 AM.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:34 PM
Master Modeler

Loretta is the Contest Director for the Hearts & Darts Open Meet coming up at JSC later this
month, so I would venture to guess they're up and running. Keep us posted if you haven't
heard anything and I'll ask her at the contest.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:31 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

I purchased a Super Orbital Transport at NARAM-50 from the Hawks Hobby tent during NARAM-50.

Bob
Old 02-01-2009, 05:57 PM
Lady Rocketeer

Hi Ya’ll know we haven’t been around here much lately but we do occasionally lurk.

Jpaw33, sorry for not getting back to you, but after reading this thread I went back and double
checked both my voice mail and email and could not find a message from you. The only message / email I have concerning the Orbital was for replacement decals.

Some of you have noticed that in the fall and again here lately there are no shopping cart buttons on the website this is because we lost a lot of our inventory in Hurricane Ike. We thought that putting every thing into our storage unit would be safer that it would be here but as it turns out the storage was flooded, we only had a few leaks here at home. Our home survived the Hurricane
but the shop we were in the middle of building was destroyed along with our new production equipment. Needless to say the last 6 months have been very hard on us.

We have not moved even though I would like nothing more, the only one to move was our oldest son and he did move right after the hurricane.

On a more personal / business front just before NARAM Mark’s hours at his “other” job was severely cut, what some of you may not know is that it’s Mark’s other job that helps finance Hawks. In hind sight we probably should not have gone to NARAM but that water under the bridge, because when we got back his hours were cut even more and then we got hit by IKE.
We were in the process of trying to recover from all that when Mark got laid off. The steel industry has been one of the first to take a big hit due to the economy. The good news is that he has a few job offers and should be going back to work this week.

Now due to all this we have had to shut down sales, we did have them up over Christmas, but have now shut them back down again. We were able to salvage about 29 kits and those will be on there way to Commonwealth Displays this week. There will be 2 Super Orbital Transports in this shipment.

We were gonna stop production of the Orbital Transport due to raising parts cost, which would mean higher prices for customers, but we were able to redesign the fins and keep it in production.
Kit planning and development are still under way while we recover from all these set backs, however to be fair to our customers sales will continue to be suspended till around this summer.
When we open sales again we will have some new kits for ya’ll as Mark has been busy with about 10 new designs.
Once Mark’s back to work we have a couple thousand dollars worth of tubes we have to replace plus balsa & basswood lost in the hurricane, we also have to replace equipment that was lost and one big bill that has to be taken care of before we can resume production. We will be using our income tax refund to help take care of this.

Sorry for any inconvenience this has caused anyone and for not replying sooner to speculation that has been posted, but we have always been very private on personal matters.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Sorry for the length.
Loretta / Lady Hawk
Hawks Hobby