Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Semroc > SVDT - Semroc Virtual Design Team
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2007, 07:41 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell
Launch magazine just did an interview with Irv Wait. Perhaps Irv either has some original parts or drawings that he would donate or loan to the effort.
Worst he coudl do is to say no.

Chas

That was a brilliant interview with Irv Wait. I enjoyed it so much. Anyone know what rocket that Irv is holding in his hands in the photo on page 45? It resembles an ARCAS but the fins don't look quite right. I wonder if it was a variation of the RDC Starflite II?

Also I noticed the Starflite II in the Launch Magazine image has a different fin pattern from the 1968 catalog

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates

Last edited by snaquin : 02-28-2007 at 08:15 PM.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:11 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Thumbs up FSI Fans in "Orbit!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
How about models from the FSI line? Nice, big designs, easily cloned from Semroc parts.

About 2 months ago, I began a project to repro all of the FSI models. So far, I have built the Nova, Oso and Orbit, and will shortly be starting on the Eos and Hercules, followed by the Voyager, Stargazer and Viking I.

[SNIP] I have never seen an actual FSI model or kit in the flesh, and I only found about them for the first time a few months ago on the Yahoo! OldRockets forum.
Here's an approximated FSI Orbit I mocked up in RockSim about a year ago:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...highlight=Orbit

Cheers,
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014
Old 03-05-2007, 01:17 AM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
Here's an approximated FSI Orbit I mocked up in RockSim about a year ago:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...highlight=Orbit

Cheers,

Let's see how it compares to my parts list:

Nose cone: Semroc BC-8F28
Parachute: Semroc CP-12BW
Screw Eye: SE-1
Shock Cord: 1/4" x 44" flat braided elastic
Shock Cord Mount: 100lb. Kevlar and #4 split ring
Snap Swivel: #1/0 brass snap swivel
Lower Airframe: Semroc ST-11120 (12", cut to 8")
Transition: Semroc BR-8F11 (with 13mm core drilled out, and 3" of ST-5 epoxied in for strength)
Upper Transition Centering Ring: CR-58 ( glued above transition, at upper end of ST-5)
Lower Transition Centering Rings: stacked combination of CR-57, ring of ST-7, CR-79, ring of ST-9, CR-9115 (sanded to fit ST-11) (glued below transition, at bottom end of ST-5)
- the previous 2 items were my additions, for strength

Upper Airframe: Semroc ST-8F180 (18", cut to 9")
Launch Lug: LL-2B
Motor Tube: Semroc ST-9 (5")
Motor Hook: Semroc EH-38
Motor Block: Semroc TR-9
Motor Tube Centering Rings: Semroc CR-9115 (sanded to fit ST-11)
Motor Tube Spacer: Semroc ST-8F (1")
Fins: 1/16" aircraft plywood

The Orbit is all assembled and is awaiting primer and paint. I haven't made reproductions of the decals yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  DSCF0138-compressed.JPG
Views: 17
Size:  37.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSCF0130-compressed.JPG
Views: 11
Size:  114.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSCF0137-compressed.JPG
Views: 9
Size:  88.8 KB  
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011

Last edited by Mark II : 03-05-2007 at 01:49 AM.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:20 AM
Forest Sprite

Default FSI repros

Here are pix of the other two FSI repros that I have built so far - Nova and Oso. None have primer or paint yet. Also attached is a group portrait.

The Nova has a cored-out transition, like the Orbit. It was the first of the three that I built. Instead of centering rings above and below the transition, I added really thick beads of Aeropoxy (and held the assembly horizintally and twirled it continuously for 2.5 hrs. until the epoxy had sufficiently set up so that it wouldn't drip when I set it down! Now you know why I went with centering rings when I built the Orbit. ).

The Nova can't stand up on its own because of its motor hook, so I have inserted a spent D12 most of the way into the motor mount. The Nova is balancing on the end of the spent motor.

Mark Kulka
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  DSCF0140-compressed.JPG
Views: 19
Size:  40.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSCF0146-compressed.JPG
Views: 13
Size:  36.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSCF0149-compressed.JPG
Views: 28
Size:  41.0 KB  
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011

Last edited by Mark II : 03-05-2007 at 01:40 AM.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:08 AM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Thumbs up The "Orbit vs. Orbit" comparision

Quote:
Let's see how it compares to my parts list:
[SNIP]

Motor Tube: Semroc ST-9 (5")
Motor Hook: Semroc EH-38
Motor Block: Semroc TR-9
Motor Tube Centering Rings: Semroc CR-9115 (sanded to fit ST-11)
Ah, you went 24mm instead of 18mm. Nice!

I'm thinking your "reinforcement rings" fore and aft of the transition may help shift the CG further forward, in contrast to not having them at all. Which is what you want when you have a fairly hefty motor to begin with.

Oddly enough, I like the "real life" picture of the model better than just the drawings or simulated images.

Cheers,
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014
Old 03-10-2007, 12:46 AM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
Ah, you went 24mm instead of 18mm. Nice!

I'm thinking your "reinforcement rings" fore and aft of the transition may help shift the CG further forward, in contrast to not having them at all. Which is what you want when you have a fairly hefty motor to begin with.

Oddly enough, I like the "real life" picture of the model better than just the drawings or simulated images.

Cheers,

Aw, geez! Now I'm blushing!

Mark
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 04-02-2007, 02:47 AM
Forest Sprite

Smile The Ever-Growing Family

My FSI clone family's latest portrait, with three new additions: Voyager (on far left - just completed within the past hour), Eos (second from left) and Star Gazer (fourth from left). All were built with Semroc parts, of course.

I have to get busy(er) soon and start painting these guys.

Mark (Proud Papa)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  DSCF0248.JPG
Views: 23
Size:  325.7 KB  
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 04-02-2007, 07:15 AM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Looking good. Looking forward to seeing some of the tubed fined FSI rockets.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:49 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
My FSI clone family's latest portrait, with three new additions: Voyager (on far left - just completed within the past hour), Eos (second from left) and Star Gazer (fourth from left). All were built with Semroc parts, of course.
Hi, Mark,

The Star Gazer...is that the one with the conformal fins? That's a 2-stager, right?

I'm a sucker for stagers with conformal fins even though I know what a royal PITA it is to get them lined up

I just finished an Eos a couple months ago - the only one of four Christmas vacation projects to actually be completed thus far. With this lind of performance to schedule, you can tell I used to work for a defense contractor

I had a NIB Orbit, but I gave it to a fellow DARS member (James Gartrell). He's into Cobras, and it looks a lot like that, so I figured he'd appreciate it a lot more than I would. He later returned the favor and gave me an unfinished, original "your free kit" Midget.

Doug
Old 04-02-2007, 11:04 AM
Forest Sprite

Lightbulb It Happens Every Spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
Looking good. Looking forward to seeing some of the tubed fined FSI rockets.

Me, too.

It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future. With that in mind, here's the latest scouting report:

Viking II is in the on-deck circle and will be coming to the plate soon, after replacing Viking I in the lineup. As you know, Don, Viking I has had a few problems in spring training. He was just sent down to the minors to work out a few issues with his form, but we are expecting to have him back in lineup in a couple of weeks or so. We also anticipate signing up Viking III to a contract later this month, and are getting ready to make an offer for Viking IV. Finally, management has expressed a desire to acquire the big unit himself, Viking V, and has set a goal of bringing him into the organization by the All-Star break.

In the offense, we anticipate that Vikings I, II and III will score a lot of runs for us; they all have the potential to reliably put the ball in play and get on base, and will all be quick and nimble in the base paths. Viking II has great extra-base potential. We also feel that Viking I, in particular, will show impressive base-stealing skills, once he has completed his rehabilitation. Both Viking IV and Viking V have great long-ball power, we think, with Viking V, in particular, swinging a big bat. Our batting lineup will have Viking I, Viking II and Viking III at the top of the order, with Viking IV and Viking V alternating in the clean-up spot.

On defense, we think that Vikings I - III will be great utility in-fielders. Viking IV will do fine service at 1st base, and Viking V, with his big mitt and his ability to gun the ball in from deep, will serve us well in the outfield.

So that's the team report from Opening Day. We'll keep you posted on new developments as the season progresses.

Mark
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011