Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2018, 12:35 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I'm waiting for AC Supply to get them.
They will be selling at a realistic non-ripoff price.

MegaHobby had them for $10 off list - so with shipping total cost was less than list, which is nice. AC will probably have them for less but’s that’s ok, I’m good with what I paid.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:59 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I'm thinking AC Supply will have them for between 49.99 and 59.99.
I can throw in another LJII and an LJ I then for same as the Estes list.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 12-20-2018, 01:39 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
I resisted ordering, since I’m currently building a #2157, and have two more, plus a really old #2001. I’ll wait until January to get the new one.

I did bookmark MegaHobby, I had never heard of them. I tend to use AC Supply for Estes, and Hobbylinc for reloads, but options are always good. Thanks!

I have a half finished 2001 which will I will use for demos with iffy recovery areas. It's set up for stock 24mm, but I might rip that out and work it up for an interchangeable mount.

My old Centuri model is retired and on permanent display. I have two more open box Centuri kits with one that has had some assembly. Not sure what I'll do with them other than display the cool boxes. I got them cheap because of some damage to the boxes, but they still look good to me.

Even though I still have a NIB 2157, I'll grab the new 1969 at some point after Christmas. I'm not sure if I'll build to fly or build to display. I'll probably build one to fly. It wouldn't look right displayed next to the old Centuri kit with it's aged patina.

As an aside, anybody want to bet I can build a 2001 light enough to cluster three B6-2's and get it back in one piece? It's only 4 n/s lower than a D12-3 and the 2001 will be lighter than the old Centuri kit by several oz. A single D12-3 was perfect for the heavier Centuri kit with the wadding eliminator (piston driven clam shell) I designed when I was a kid to save money on wadding. The 2001 may eject a little too early with a D12-3 in calm air.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:30 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Even though I still have a NIB 2157, I'll grab the new 1969 at some point after Christmas.

Tim,

Did you buy the injection molded fins for your #2157? I bought a couple sets last year. I’d love to see Estes add the plastic SLA as another “replacement” part. I’d buy a few for my Saturn Vs and 1Bs.

I’m still trying to imagine if my #2001 kit will ever get opened. Maybe your plan to cluster it is a worthy consideration for mine, too. Any thought to make it a 5 motor cluster? My other consideration for some time would be to stay with the single D12 in one of my #2157s, but modify it to fly with the four outer F1s in place. Obviously the motor needs to come WAY back in the body tube, with some nose weight to fix the CG shift.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 12-21-2018, 12:47 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Tim,

Did you buy the injection molded fins for your #2157? I bought a couple sets last year. I’d love to see Estes add the plastic SLA as another “replacement” part. I’d buy a few for my Saturn Vs and 1Bs.

I’m still trying to imagine if my #2001 kit will ever get opened. Maybe your plan to cluster it is a worthy consideration for mine, too. Any thought to make it a 5 motor cluster? My other consideration for some time would be to stay with the single D12 in one of my #2157s, but modify it to fly with the four outer F1s in place. Obviously the motor needs to come WAY back in the body tube, with some nose weight to fix the CG shift.

I haven't bought any fins for any of them.

I've thought about reworking the 2001 fins to make them closer to scale, but that all depends on how hard it will be to remove the shrouds. I can make clear slip-on fins like the classic 60's-70's Centuri and Estes kits pretty easily. The Centuri style would bugger up the balsa fins but would be lighter than the Estes style. Not sure what I want to do there. Leaving it stock would be the lightest option.

I'd just make a removable mount on the 2001 to leave it as light as possible and still have the option to do a 3 motor cluster. I might do a center with outboards on the 2157 or 1969 one day.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:40 PM
Avid Builder

Just got an email from AC Supply. Orders are being taken now, shipping starts from the third week of this month. Price is $53.99 plus shipping.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:01 PM

Now that is a reasonable and SANE price for the Estes Saturn V.
Will order once in stock.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:13 PM
Craftsman

Got the same e-mail and placed an order. Should be a nice build based on what some of the early birds have been showing.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:56 PM

One of my 3 LHSs has the new 1969 Saturn V in stock.
Priced WAYYYYYYYY too high however....like $4 below full retail.
Offered $63 which is $10 above AC Supply and they declined...told them good luck with their price.
I'll wait for AC Supply.

Old 01-21-2019, 05:44 PM
Craftsman

Word is AC Supply will start shipping Saturn Vs by middle of this week. I went ahead and ordered one.

To help reach the free shipping limit, I also added an SLV (#7236). This kit seems to have disappeared off the Estes site and is out of stock at several other vendors. If you want to pick one up, time may be running out.