Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2019, 03:30 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
BEC: have your various flights (any motor type) been flown in any level of 'windy-ness'?

Earl

I would call the conditions for each flight "light and variable" or a little more. In looking at my uploaded FlightSketch data, it is showing winds as follows:

Flight 1 - May 5th - Estes C6-3 - winds of 7 mph gusting to 10. As I recall this flight arced some into the breeze but nowhere nearly what I was expecting after prior posts on TRF about this model.

Flight 2 - May 11th - Q-Jet C12-4 - winds 3 mph gusting to 5. This flight was just about arrow straight on the way up. Deployment timing was just about perfect.

Flight 3 - May 12th - Q-Jet D16-4 - winds 2 mph gusting to 6. This was also a nice straight flight. Deployment was just a touch early.

Weather data is from Dark Sky based on my location - I did not have a weather station set up.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 05-28-2019, 03:46 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
I would call the conditions for each flight "light and variable" or a little more. In looking at my uploaded FlightSketch data, it is showing winds as follows:

Flight 1 - May 5th - Estes C6-3 - winds of 7 mph gusting to 10. As I recall this flight arced some into the breeze but nowhere nearly what I was expecting after prior posts on TRF about this model.

Flight 2 - May 11th - Q-Jet C12-4 - winds 3 mph gusting to 5. This flight was just about arrow straight on the way up. Deployment timing was just about perfect.

Flight 3 - May 12th - Q-Jet D16-4 - winds 2 mph gusting to 6. This was also a nice straight flight. Deployment was just a touch early.

Weather data is from Dark Sky based on my location - I did not have a weather station set up.

Well, all-in-all, those flights sound fairly nominal. In other words, I detect no indication of 'unstable' flights in what you have described. Yet others are apparently reporting some degree of unstableness in their flights. Reason I asked about winds in your flights, since I was wondering if that might be cause of some of these negative reports.

I was also wondering about motor selections, thinking that (maybe) motors such as the Q-Jets might be a bit heavier and therefore maybe shifting the Cg rearward. But your Q-Jet flights are sound, so that does not seem to be an issue, at least in realitively calm condiitons. BTW, do the Q-Jets, especially the D, weigh any consinderable amount more than a standard C6-3?

Also, in summary, what are they reporting flightwise on this rocket on TRF? I don't read over there, so I don't know what they are saying.

Thanks for your detailed flight reports!

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970

Last edited by Earl : 05-28-2019 at 05:19 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:59 PM
Master Modeler

As John said this morning - there is no way these models are unstable. What people are calling "unstable" has to be due to winds, dirty launch rods (so slower than normal boosting) and/or not getting the motor in all the way so that the fins are loose (and the thrust line is canted a bit).

Quick grab of random sample motors:

Estes C6-3 0.80 ounce (the one that was in the images yesterday)
Q-Jet C12-4 0.80 ounce
Q-Jet D16-8 0.89 ounce (this should be the heaviest Q-Jet)

Nope - it's not weight aft.

There is lots of moping (from some of the same people) on TRF about severely arcing flights, mostly. I haven't seen any claims of instability over there....but there have been several threads besides the one similar to this one that John started there.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 05-28-2019, 05:27 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
As John said this morning - there is no way these models are unstable. What people are calling "unstable" has to be due to winds, dirty launch rods (so slower than normal boosting) and/or not getting the motor in all the way so that the fins are loose (and the thrust line is canted a bit).

Quick grab of random sample motors:

Estes C6-3 0.80 ounce (the one that was in the images yesterday)
Q-Jet C12-4 0.80 ounce
Q-Jet D16-8 0.89 ounce (this should be the heaviest Q-Jet)

Nope - it's not weight aft.

There is lots of moping (from some of the same people) on TRF about severely arcing flights, mostly. I haven't seen any claims of instability over there....but there have been several threads besides the one similar to this one that John started there.

Thanks Bernard for your as usual thorough and detailed response.

It is good to know then that there may not be an inherent stability problem with the model. And it is very good to see the Q-Jets are basically the same weight as a standard C6-3, especially for the D motors.

Possibly the issues people are seeing then are attributable to the causes you mention. To be honest, 200 feet on this model with a C6-3 actually seems respectable really. By the same token, if flown in any kind of real wind, I would actually expect an ‘arcing’ profile and reduced altitude. It ain’t gonna be an altitude champ with that motor anyway, but that is ok. I look at this as more of a demo rocket, not anything for raw performance.

Thanks again for your experiences.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 05-28-2019, 09:08 PM
Dazed and Confused

I don't know where you guys are flying, but here in TN, we've had "light and variable" for the last week or two. Every chopper pilot that we've set up LZ's for has told us once it gets up to 75-100 ft, there's a good 25 knot wind and even better a few hundred feet higher. Sunday it was blowing east. Our pilot Sunday estimated they would get to NashVegas in about 38 minutes (about 115 miles)!
Old 05-28-2019, 10:58 PM
Master Modeler

In my case all three flights were at Sixty Acres park in Redmond, Washington. The wind does get "interesting" higher, but not quite like that!
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 05-29-2019, 05:51 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
200 feet is about how high it goes on a C6-3. Dirty launch rod? Too much wind?

Not true. See attached pictures. Both the Estes C6-3 and the Q-Jet C12-4 fit in and you can put the retainer on holding the fin unit tightly with a small gap between the retainer and aft end of the motor.

If either motor was keeping the retainer from going all the way down and holding the fin unit on tight you didn’t have the motor properly seated at the top.

First picture is Q-Jet C12-6 standing next to Estes C6-3, both with nozzle ends on the tabletop. Second picture is Q-Jet C12-4 from the first picture inserted all the way into the model. Third picture shows fins and retainer ring in place and small gap between nozzle end of the motor and the retainer. Fourth picture is same view with the C6-3 from the first picture installed.

The model in the picture has flown three times, first on a C6-3 (to 199 feet), then a C12-4 (to 348 feet) then a D16-4 (to 463 feet). Altitudes via FlightSketch Mini altimeter aboard.

All flights were fine on the way up, though the Q-Jet-motivated ones were straighter and much higher. The particular C6-3 I used was quite old and its delay was more like 1.5s, so there was some parachute and fin unit damage which was repaired before the next two flights.

Last image is liftoff shot (frame grab from video) of the D16-4 flight courtesy of Larry Kennedy.

On my rocket, with a QJet installed, the retainer doesn’t tighten down enough to hold the fin unit securely. With an Estes motor it does. Since I have a sample size of exactly one that’s the data I have to use. If I’d noticed the fin unit wobble with the QJet I’d never have flown it, I didn’t but luckily it didn’t crash. My first flight wasn’t unstable or unsafe just not what I’d expected - the degree of arcing was higher than I’d call ideal. The winds that day were very light, 5mph with 8mph gusts. Now that I’ve flown it I know what to expect and can deal with it - not really a problem for me, I have hundreds of flights on Estes BP motors. What surprises me is that flight profile on a rocket that a great many first timers or folks who’ve been out of rockets for a long time are probably going to fly this summer. Hopefully I’m wrong and we don’t hear about crashes or erratic flights in July from less experienced people - I’ll fly mine again, maybe very soon depending on weather, on a C6-3 and a QJet and see what results I get.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:53 AM
Master Modeler

Wouldn't a rubber O-ring or two slipped down over the shaft of the engine holder and up against the fin unite be a solution to getting the fins tight on the rocket when using a Q-engines?
Old 05-29-2019, 10:56 AM
Launching since 1970.

Could be as simple as wrapping some masking tape around the top and bottom of the Q-Jet since the new versions are looser than an Estes C6 motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole
Wouldn't a rubber O-ring or two slipped down over the shaft of the engine holder and up against the fin unite be a solution to getting the fins tight on the rocket when using a Q-engines?
Old 05-29-2019, 11:21 AM
Master Modeler

*sigh*

First and third pictures shows motor NOT properly engaged with the ring at the top of the motor mount even though it feels as if it's stopped against something. Second and fourth pictures show it when it IS properly engaged. This is not a Q-Jet thing. The same is possible with Estes motors.

It does take a little bit of force to get EITHER motor type properly pushed into that forward ring (see fifth image). And since a Q-Jet's case isn't as soft as an Estes motor's case you have to do this with intent. I found when trying to take these pictures that just tightening the retainer will push an Estes motor in all the way as the paper case will "give" a little. It doesn't feel like this would necessarily work with the harder Q-Jet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_1121.JPG
Views: 41
Size:  1.19 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_1123.JPG
Views: 37
Size:  1.21 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_1118.JPG
Views: 34
Size:  1.25 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_1119.JPG
Views: 31
Size:  1.11 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_1124.JPG
Views: 26
Size:  1.74 MB  
AMA 42160
KG7AIE

Last edited by BEC : 05-29-2019 at 12:13 PM. Reason: added image of upper motor mount ring