Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2009, 10:09 AM
Oddroc-eteer

Default Estes SS1 info needed

I was wondering if anyone out there still had their Estes SS1? I need the actual cg and measured mass for a model that has the added 1/2 oz of nose weight. I made a RS9 model of it and would like to see what the program claims the margin is. It actually ran without having to replace the fins-on-fins-on-fins
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  estes_ss1.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  10.9 KB  
Co-moderator of the MicroMaxRockets, microhybrids, and OddRocs Yahoo groups
Volunteer compiler of product news for ROCKETS Magazine
Old 01-14-2009, 07:15 AM
Master Modeler

Mine tips the scale at 94g or 3.3oz with the CG located 5 1/16" from the tip of the nose cone..

SAM #0396
BAR 02/07
NAR 86940
KF4GUL
Aim high, fly straight!
Old 01-14-2009, 10:50 AM
Master Modeler

Dick, mine weighs in at 3.6 oz(101 grams) and the CG is 5 and 5/16" from the tip.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:04 AM
Launching since 1970.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstaff3
I was wondering if anyone out there still had their Estes SS1? I need the actual cg and measured mass for a model that has the added 1/2 oz of nose weight. I made a RS9 model of it and would like to see what the program claims the margin is. It actually ran without having to replace the fins-on-fins-on-fins

I have some of my correspondence from the TRF discussion and the e-mail and replies from Estes. I'll cut & paste a few of the details but note that this does not include the actual c.g. location with the new "4 butter pats" of clay. The extra clay should move the c.g. a healthy distance forward of the stated C.P.

"
The weight of my prototype is 80.3g without a C6-3 engine and 103.5 with a C6-3. The CP is 4-1/8" from the rear edge of the nozzle forward and the CG without engine is 5-7/8" from the same location forward and 4-3/4" with a C6-3 engine from the same location. I previously stated that we are going to add more weight to the kits and anyone that wants the weight to call or write to Customer Service and they will get the weight to you. I did not anticipate that the builders would build it heavy so my apologies. This second rocket built from the kit has specs as follows, the weight without C6-3 engine is 83.3g and with engine is 106.6g. The CP is in same location at 4-1/8" and the CG without engine is 6-3/8" and with an engine is 5-1/8".

If anyone wants to heavily finish this kit they should pay attention to the CP CG locations stated and add weight accordingly. Remember weight kills performance and recoverability.

It was good talking to you and if you need more info let me know.

Regards ......."

Old 01-14-2009, 11:13 AM
Oddroc-eteer

Thanks guys! Those numbers were pretty close to what I had. A couple of observations from my sim:

1. The Barrowman cp is at 7.4" and the RS is at 8.5".
2. I was surprised the Barrowman was an option since in earlier versions you couldn't use it when you used certain features, such as single fins.
3. Although I generally use the RS option in my sims, I don't believe it in this case. If the CP of the SS1 was that far back, it wouldn't be as marginally stable as it is. My gut says the Barrowman number is about right.
4. In looking at some other sims that use pods (the provided one for the Madcow Jayhawk and my Fireball XL5), I'm not going to trust the sims like I do those for, say, more standard 3/4fnc designs.
5. Still, the pod capability is really cool
Old 01-14-2009, 01:56 PM
Master Modeler

Dick, I'd be interested to know what exact measurements you got on your SS1? The one in the pic is retired, but I have two more in the package from when Walmart was clearing them out. I think I'll eventually build anther one stock, but probably not anytime soon. As you well know this kit is prime for kit bashing, so I'll probably save the other one in case I need the parts for something.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:06 PM
Oddroc-eteer

foose, somehow I'm not sure exactly what measurements you would like. I do not have a stock built SS1, which is why I asked the original question. I do have the components strewn around on several kit bashes. I set the mass and CG overrides based on the above posts to just get a feel of what margin RS9 said the SS1 has. Since I knew this model was stable (at least most of the time ), this would be useful to gauge whether the results from 'fin-on-fin' designs can be trusted.

BTW, my RS9 design is not perfect, but close enough for my purposes. The next thing I'd like from RSx is oblong tubes.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:14 PM
Master Modeler

Ok, I didn't realize you don't have a stock built SS1. I knew about the others.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:05 AM
Oddroc-eteer

No problemo, I have been tempted to build another one stock just to have it lying around.