Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2017, 07:20 PM
Master Modeler

Two more images of my F Heli model and two builds of Estes E2X stuff. One has been modified as a two stage.

John Boren
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  F Heli 3.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  81.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  F Heli 4.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  168.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  BT50 ARF 2 Stage.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  137.6 KB  
Old 05-19-2017, 09:56 AM
Craftsman

Default F Heli Model

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJet
Two more images of my F Heli model and two builds of Estes E2X stuff. One has been modified as a two stage.

John Boren

John, love that HD model!!

I see you've laser-cut the 'fiddly parts'.....WAY better than the duct tape & 'stuff' I had to use on a similar sized H35 powered deal back in '93!

Can't wait for your flight reports, and hopefully, video of this in action, especially if you have it do a kaleidoscope effect on the way down. Same goes for the 'sport' larger convie glider too. That might look GREAT if flown low-n-slow but trims out very well.

IIRC, wasn't that *you* on the cover of an old HPR mag, with a big V-2? I think so...do you still fly HPR and/or stay in Tripoli?
Old 05-19-2017, 12:16 PM
Master Modeler

Yes, that was my big V2 back in the day. I actually got my cert flying it on a single use J700-5. I had someone else fly it for me on it's 10th flight since I am only a level 1 now. The shock cord broke because of the LONG delay. The Fin Can came down under the 8 foot chute while the nose fell 3000 feet. I actually got the nose cone back together again as good as new. I was going to finish the repairs and give here a new paint job to display at NSL but I instead built a Maxi Brute V2 to fly in the mass launch.

John Boren
Old 05-21-2017, 07:55 PM
Master Modeler

So finally.... a few pictures.

The first is a big group - the V-2, the Star Orbiters, the upscale Semroc Aphelion (second from right) and the three regular-sized Alphas were all built for this event. The leftmost Alpha is really what I might call an "Alpha V" as it is based on the ARF parts that are used in several models and the Mix-N-Match 50 set. The dark red/white one my wife built - it's a clone of the second version of the Alpha. The colors are those of our alma mater - New Mexico State University. The rightmost Alpha is finished like the original 1967 instructions except for using gold rather than white - for the 50th year of the Alpha - but it, too is a clone of the second version. The upscale Alpha is along the same lines - it is a direct upscale of the first version of the Alpha. The Semroc repro Shrike on the right end had been laying about not-quite-finished for some time, so I finished it and will bring it.

The next picture is the Shrike and Fliskits Tiberius (not quite done) before their maiden flights yesterday.

The next is a closer look at that Tiberius. It got a big snap-back dent after that flight (the B6-4 had a killer ejection charge) and it still doesn't have its decals or any detailing - just the base color. Not sure what its state will be when we get to Alamogordo.

The last picture is three Big Berthas - only the red/silver one was built for this trip - finished with my high school colors/mascot (Shiprock, NM Chieftains). It has been flown once. The blue one is in my wife's high school color/mascot (Carlsbad, NM Cavemen) and first flew at the TCR launch last June - it has perhaps a dozen flights.. The third one is just in general cheery bright colors, but with the Zia sun symbol from the New Mexico state flag on it. It has a few flights (I'll have to check) as it replaced one treed two or three months ago.

(all vinyl graphics on the models from Callie Graphics in Magdalena, NM).

The V-2 (mostly in the "field test" livery on V2rocket.com) had its maiden flight today on a D12-3. The upscale Aphelion and the regular-sized Alphas will not be flown before we start down on Tuesday. The upscale Alpha has several flights on it.

Oh - why two Star Orbiters? I plan on using one on F15-8s in the Sierra Blanca challenge and I had one blown apart by an E16-8 a few weeks ago - so one is a backup since I expect it will take 7 or 8 flights to get to the 12,003 foot cumulative altitude.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_6905.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  498.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_6900.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  528.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_6901.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  568.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_6907.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  491.4 KB  
AMA 42160
KG7AIE

Last edited by BEC : 05-21-2017 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:19 PM
Master Modeler

I really like the Tiberius and the Shrike has always been on I won't to make one someday list.

John Boren
Old 05-21-2017, 10:20 PM
Master Modeler

Thanks, John. I hope to do a little more with Tiberius before we head out on Tuesday. I want to get the decals on and brush a little flat black or silver on that array of dowels around the base of the motor tube that looks kind of like lots of little tubes. I don't think I'm going to be doing anything (save maybe coating with Future) along the way.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 05-22-2017, 10:36 AM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

I built the Shrike in high school. I really liked that model. The Tiberius is cool, I've not seen that one before, although I do have several Fliskits. In fact, my Dueces Wild is making its maiden flight at NSL.

I was tempted to build a second Star Orbiter after reading about your plans for the altitude challenge. But I don't have an altimeter, and I just had so many models to finish. I'm painting my Super Orbital Transport today. Decals tomorrow, then hopefully done before departure.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 05-22-2017, 01:20 PM
Master Modeler

Lee, I have lots of altimeters if you wanted to borrow one....but I understand there is only so much time to build and there will be only so much time to fly.

We are in full-up packing mode at the house today.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 05-22-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Lee, I have lots of altimeters if you wanted to borrow one....but I understand there is only so much time to build and there will be only so much time to fly.

We are in full-up packing mode at the house today.

Bernard,

Thanks for the offer. I have so darned many things planned, I'll just use my Star Orbiter to try out the Estes 29mm BP motors. This next year I want to get an altimeter, and one of the little keychain cameras. So many projects.

Have a safe drive, and I'll see you guys in New Mexico.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:52 PM

Today is a really good day. I got my Super Orbital Transport painted. I'd take pictures but I locked it up in the basement so I would not be tempted to move the different pieces around and screw up the paint.

I tried a new white and I am REALLY pleased with results. It is Rustoleum 2X Semi Gloss White. Glosses are nice as a decal base, but sometimes do not go on really smoothly. Flats are better, but need clearcoating before decals. The semi gloss is a good compromise, and actually seems plenty glossy for decals.

Pictures later.