Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2009, 03:43 PM
Master Modeler

As a matter of course, I dust my engines with talcum powder (baby powder) before putting them in a rocket. This (usually) makes extraction much easier after the flight. Also, if you got any glue inside the engine tube during assembly (runoff from engine block, e.g.) it sometimes becomes plastic during flight from the engine heat and then glues the engine in place. Talcum powder will help prevent the glue from sticking to the engine.

Graphite would probably have the same effect, but the baby powder is a bit less messy--or at least it isn't black...
Old 07-30-2009, 04:37 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Holy cow! That is a brilliant idea.. And what you said is exactly what happened. I used too much CA glue. I tried sanding it down some but even with the Dremel tool extension it was really hard to get the diameter back to the way it was. I like the talcum powder idea. Plus it makes your rocket smell good! I wonder what the gang would say at the field if I brought a bottle of Monkey Butt powder. (heehhe)
Old 07-30-2009, 04:49 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbryantphoto
Holy cow! That is a brilliant idea.. And what you said is exactly what happened. I used too much CA glue. I tried sanding it down some but even with the Dremel tool extension it was really hard to get the diameter back to the way it was. I like the talcum powder idea. Plus it makes your rocket smell good! I wonder what the gang would say at the field if I brought a bottle of Monkey Butt powder. (heehhe)

Man I've got TONS of baby powder that I use with my rockets... after my grandmother passed away year before last I got probably 5 big bottles and probably half a dozen little ones (she had TONS of medical supplies she bought around the house, most terribly out of date and a lot unopened) I always dust chutes before I pack them, and usually put about a half teaspoon to a teaspoon of powder in the peak of the chute before I pack it to act as a 'tracking powder' when the chute opens. For spill holed chutes I usually just squirt a healthy sized slug into the tube on top of the wadding/barf for the same reason. I've never heard of using it on tight motors before, but it's a GREAT idea!

Shoot, my range box is practically coated in baby powder, and I always have a bottle sitting on my table...

I could probably even get the Monkey-Butt powder back I bought my brother while on vacation a year or so back if I needed it... I bought it as a gag gift for him feeding the cats while we were away, and I don't think he was especially amused...
Later! OL JR