Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Swap Shoppe > For Sale
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2014, 06:10 PM
Somewhat Skilled Rocketeer

Default Interceptors, Vindicators, and more

Some of you here are aware that I have recently become a bit "obsessed" with Interceptors and the like, offering the "Chameleon" skin kits and built-up models on eBay (on the Accu8 Products eBay Store by Accur8man [me]). Then again, some of you aren't aware.

I've sold significantly more skin kits and built-ups off eBay than on (eBay seems to have become my advertising media more than anything). Frankly, I'm getting a kick out of building (after a few years of on and off building) and love doing the built-ups more for the pleasure of the experience than profit (though I don't want to just "give" my work away...I've been satisfied with what I have been getting)

My latest creation is a scaled up "Vindicator" based on (though not precisely) the 1981 Estes Vindicator, a follow-on to the Interceptor. The model is based on the same 2" tube and nosecone used with the Interceptor-E, Cosmic Interceptor and Trajector models. I can either sell it direct using PayPal (preferred) or on eBay. I can customize it with your choice of Tail Number (which affects markings in various other places on the model) and a pilot's rank/name on the left side of the cockpit. I might be able to do other customizations on request if they aren't too far from what's already on the model. Hey, if you just want to send cash my way, the Vindicator is $200...but I suggest you "make me an offer"

Hop over to my Vindicator listing on eBay (just search for "Vindicator E Model Rocket" on eBay) to check it out. eBay Vindicator. I think you will find the "Sand and Sky-Blue" paint pattern suggested by Estes for the original Vindicator quite interesting as well as integrating the overall "Chameleon" pattern.

I am also considering other "Interceptor"-like models (I've been encouraged to "kit" the Vindicator). If anyone has suggestions for skin kits or built-ups or wants to purchase a built-up Vindicator E, Interceptor or Interceptor-E, let me know. I can be contacted directly at johnpursley@accur8.com . Of course, leave comments and responses here on the forum, too!
Old 04-03-2014, 08:40 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default Quality work!

As a happy customer I can say that John does some impressive work. I purchased the Twilight skins for both the Interceptor and the Interceptor-E ( I went a little crazy when Hobby Lobby was clearing out the E's) Now I feel pressure to do an exceptional build job.

Watch for a build thread (or wrap) thread on here soon!
Old 04-03-2014, 10:56 PM
Out to launch...

I would love to see a build thread. I bought the skins for both sizes too, and am rather intimidated by them.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:53 AM
Somewhat Skilled Rocketeer

Default Don't be intimidated!

I'll be happy to lend any advice or answers to any questions. Don't let the prospect of skinning your model intimidate you...it's a lot easier than you think. Once you get only part way through the process you will find it quite easy.

Skinning the surfaces of the wings and fins is quite easy as there are no real critical alignments. As long as you get to within a couple of millimeters (easier than it sounds), all will be fine.

Most people are intimidated by the prospect of wrapping the body tubes. The Interceptor body wraps are in two or more sections (depending on whether it's the 1250 or 1350 kit) which makes aligning the wraps easier. Just follow the instructions...you don't need to use any body tube markings to get things right.

The toughest thing to wrap is the nosecone...especially the conical section. You really need to get it aligned properly. Do several "dry" runs, wrapping and repositioning the wrap with the backing in place. The second challenge to wrapping the nose is where the cone transitions to the cylinder. You will find that it's impossible to apply the wrap "cold" and not have wrinkles at the transition. I have provided faint lines on the conical wrap that if you find you have too many unsatisfactory wrinkles along the rear circumference of the forward wrap, you can just use the line as a guide and cut away the section with the wrinkles, exposing the underlying black or white painted surface. There won't be any "Chameleon" pattern in the area that you cut away but it will be almost unnoticeable.

If you have built model airplanes and/or used heat shrinkable coverings and have a covering iron, you CAN shrink the wrinkles out. However, the vinyl used is not really designed to be heat shrinkable. Plus, extra care must be taken when heat shrinking not to deform the nosecone itself. After doing a number of nosecone wraps, I have gotten to where I can apply both the forward (conical) and aft (cylindrical) wraps without wrinkles and an almost invisible seam.

If you don't want to tackle skinning the nosecone yourself, I will skin either the standard or E nosecone for you for $20 (about $15 to apply the skin and $5 for the return packaging and shipping). The price includes the skin (I will assume you have already "used up" your skin) as well as 3-5 clear coats. Just send your nosecone to me and let me know whether you want the white or Twilight Chameleon skin applied. Turnaround will generally be in the 5 day range. Email me at johnpursley@accur8.com before sending so can invoice you via PayPal and give you the shipping address.

I am also working on skinning kits for the Satellite Interceptor in both white and Twilight Chameleon as well as a skin to turn the Satellite Interceptor into a "mini" S.W.A.T. in the Camouflage pattern.