Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2013, 01:13 AM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
Mine weighed in at 8.6oz less the engine so only 0.3oz more than yours. I tried to use the adhesives sparingly and the fit of the parts on these models is very precise so I felt there really was no reason to overdo it and add any extra weight.

Uh...

My Majestic has an empty weight of 9.3 ounces.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Awesome pics Bob!

Thank you, Steve.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:23 AM
Launching since 1970.

What I see in the photos is simply two different amounts of "delay slag" build-up in the nozzles.

I cannot see the actual nozzle throat or exit cone as they are covered with the layer of slag.

The slag has absolutely nothing to do with performance during the thrust phase and cannot possibly create any thrust vectoring. It is simply deposited byt the delay buring. The delay produces a hot slag somewhat similar to what you see produced by a highway flare. Differeing amounts of slag deposit can be a result of many factors, including the speed of the rocket during the delay phase or if the rocket was already on the ground and laying sideways during all or part of the delay burn.

Hopefully the motors will be completely forensically studied, including careful removal of the slag to see if the "Strong Like Ox" clay nozzle still maintains the original dimensions and symmetry.

Quote:
John,

Mary at Estes had attempted to return a call me last Friday afternoon but her phone call rolled straight to voice mail without ringing the phone. I was able to return the call to her today and had a pleasant conversation with Mary explaining to her same as I did here what I had experienced with my first flight.

She inquired about launch conditions, equipment used, and my rocketry experience as well as the kit build. She did specifically ask about any nozzle erosion and I explained that the engine in question did have more erosion than the other four F15's that I had fired that day. She asked me to photograph and email that to her and asked if I wanted a replacement kit and engine.

I agreed to a replacement engine as I explained to her the repairs to the fins were accomplished with BSI plastic cure ca and some binder clamps to hold secure until cured with regular ca applied inside to stiffen the inside of the cardboard airframe where it was damaged.

I felt the offer of a replacement engine was a fair resolve and Mary truly cared about solving the issue and assuring customer satisfaction. I really enjoyed chatting with her. I didn't think it was fair to take a replacement kit since the model has been repaired, looks good cosmetically and will fly again soon at our next scheduled launch on Nov. 9th.

The photos I that emailed to her tonight are attached. I finally got home with enough daylight left to use the camera in close-up mode for a better image. I photographed above the driveway so the lighter background when viewed through the engine would show a little better detail than the prior images I had posted.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:26 AM
Launching since 1970.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
Uh...

My Majestic has an empty weight of 9.3 ounces.

Did you add a baffle, Bob?

And I would imagine it would require an insanely underweight nose cone to affect the stability of this rocket.

Maybe it's time to get everyone to weigh their nose cones (prior to painting....) and post the data?
Old 10-23-2013, 10:19 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Mine weighed in at 8.6oz less the engine so only 0.3oz more than yours. I tried to use the adhesives sparingly and the fit of the parts on these models is very precise so I felt there really was no reason to overdo it and add any extra weight.

My PSII booster is due here either tomorrow or Thursday!

With your unstable flight, did the acceleration at launch seem too low? Instead of a problem with an offset thrust vector, a motor with a significantly lower than specified thrust could have resulted in a rocket coming off the rod at a velocity too low for aerodynamic stabilization.

I'm thinking that the minor, slow tail wags (coning) during the boost phase of my F15-0/E16-8 launch might have been due to aerodynamic effects from a slight mismatch in the alignment of the booster and sustainer fins. My next launch with the same motor combo will have the fins staggered to see if that was it.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:33 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreadvector
Maybe it's time to get everyone to weigh their nose cones (prior to painting....) and post the data?
Since I already have the shock cord and chute attached to the nose cone and those would affect the weight figure, I'll post my Majestic's CG with the orange motor spacer fully forward, chute and shock cord packed and probably forward of the point that G-forces will move them at launch - 22.36" from the nosecone tip. All-up rocket weight is 236g (8.3 oz).
Old 10-23-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreadvector
Did you add a baffle, Bob?

Yes, my Majestic model has a Semroc EB-20 baffle.

All my PSII E2X models have this baffle system.
Saves money on wadding.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:12 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston
With your unstable flight, did the acceleration at launch seem too low? Instead of a problem with an offset thrust vector, a motor with a significantly lower than specified thrust could have resulted in a rocket coming off the rod at a velocity too low for aerodynamic stabilization.

I'm thinking that the minor, slow tail wags (coning) during the boost phase of my F15-0/E16-8 launch might have been due to aerodynamic effects from a slight mismatch in the alignment of the booster and sustainer fins. My next launch with the same motor combo will have the fins staggered to see if that was it.

My Majestic came off the rod faster than the Ascender pretty much as I had expected being lighter. Since I repaired it I do plan to fly it again staged at our next launch in a couple of weeks. I just received my PSII Booster on Tuesday so I'll put it together tomorrow to bring to the launch and first flight will be with my Majestic. I am looking forward to it.

The F15-6 from the unstable flight that I had reported was returned to Estes today.

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 11-28-2013, 05:52 PM
Aggressor Aerospace

Flew my Majestic today for the first time. Used and E15 and recorded an altitude of 856' on my Estes altimeter (launching in Colorado, at an elevation of 5,030'). Best part - there was so little wind, the model landed just 60' from the pad. Can you say "thankful?"