Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > BARCLONE > Designer's Studio
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 05:00 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Exclamation New Plan - Nova

This is not exactly a "new" plan, but it's new to this thread.

The model is a payloader, capable of handling a 1/2 oz mass in the payload compartment. You will notice the payload tube is shown as "CPT-10", which is not currently available. Just substitute an equal length section of ST-10.

This model has flown "in the wild".

Length: 20.70"
Diameter: 1.04" (ST-10)
Fin Span: 3.54"
Weight: 1.35 oz (empty)

A8-3......0.0 oz payload......202'......Dv 8 FPS.......36" rod
A8-3......0.5 oz payload......140'......Dv 19 FPS......40" rod
B6-4......0.0 oz payload......475'......Dv 14 FPS......36" rod
B6-4......0.5 oz payload......380'......Dv 12 FPS......36" rod
C6-5......0.0 oz payload......990'......Dv 14 FPS......36" rod
C6-5......0.5 oz payload......895'......Dv 17 FPS......36" rod

The A8-3 with a payload is not a recommended configuration. Only use this motor for initial test flights with no payload installed.

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Nova 2D.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  68.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Nova 3D.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  38.6 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Nova v2.rkt (66.7 KB, 95 views)

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 06-28-2008, 06:07 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Default Blog Reminder

I've been adding to the list of designs shown on the new blog. You'll find these on the COLLECTIVE INSANITY page. But I've been limiting these to only designs that have been built and flown, not just simulated in RockSim. If you're curious as to which ones are "fully proven", this is where you'll see them.

Also, as new designs are posted here on the forum, I will post them to the HOME category first, as well as to a new page later (it has not been created or named yet).

I'd like for all of the BARCLONE contributors to let me know which of their designs have been built and successfully flown, too, so that I can include them in the list. That way, you can get recognition for your work.

The blog is open for comments in the HOME and DESIGN CATALOG categories. The COLLECTIVE INSANITY page does not have any comment area for itself (I'm keeping it exclusively for designs), so use the DESIGN CATALOG comment area for feedback.

I'm still adding content, and I would like to include an ABOUT page with a bio of each BARCLONE contributor (especially our core contributors!). PM me here on YORF if you want to have something posted on the ABOUT page.

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 06-30-2008, 03:54 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Default The "Big List" of BARCLONEs

Everyone, but especially all of the BARCLONE contributors...

I've just posted the master list of designs on the blogsite. There are 426 designs shown, and I know there are still a few missing for various reasons. There are also a few which have been posted here that I just haven't downloaded yet to my own computer, so they're not on the list, either. It's a long list!

Eventually, I hope to have a separate page for each design, or at least for each unique design. Each page will contain the links for PDF and RKT files available for download.

Some of these designs go back to January of 2003, so this marks a five-year journey into design and development. Go check out the list.

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 07-06-2008, 01:02 AM
Got it bad BAR

Default Proven designs

Craig, can I add that the Star Ranger has been completed and flown!

It's maiden flight was on a C6-5 and was textbook from start to finish. I just finished the full paint job and except for a minor change to the mid fin area it is just as the paint scheme I sent you.

Very nice design

NAR 85416 L3 as of 4/2010

"There is never enough rope to do the job but it is always long enough to hang yourself up with problems"
Old 07-06-2008, 06:31 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac BAR
Craig, can I add that the Star Ranger has been completed and flown!

It's maiden flight was on a C6-5 and was textbook from start to finish. I just finished the full paint job and except for a minor change to the mid fin area it is just as the paint scheme I sent you.

Very nice design

Great, Geoffrey! That really gives me the incentive to finish building up my copy. I have the body parts, just not the fins. Be sure to show me what you changed!

I'll post the plan on the blog tonight.

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 07-06-2008, 07:22 PM
Master Modeler

Thumbs up

CPMcGraw
Quote:
I've been adding to the list of designs shown on the new blog. You'll find these on the COLLECTIVE INSANITY page. But I've been limiting these to only designs that have been built and flown, not just simulated in RockSim. If you're curious as to which ones are "fully proven", this is where you'll see them.

Maybe we need to define "Fully Proven" I just cannot afford to "Prove" a design the way Vern did it and these motors are getting more expensive by the minute .
I'm thinking, "Fully Proven" should be three good flights and recovery with the largest motor the design was intended to fly with. Feel free to jump in anyone???

Quote:
I'd like for all of the BARCLONE contributors to let me know which of their designs have been built and successfully flown, too, so that I can include them in the list. That way, you can get recognition for your work.

I be glad to make that list as soon as I figure out which ones they are . My trouble lately is figuring out which designs are "Finished/Done" as I always seem to think of minor & major imporvements.

Quote:
I'm still adding content, and I would like to include an ABOUT page with a bio of each BARCLONE contributor (especially our core contributors!). PM me here on YORF if you want to have something posted on the ABOUT page.

I will find the time to work on the bio soon Craig.

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

PS. I managed to get a few front yard test flights in on the 4th. I have converted Sky Champ to 18mm and had a good flight on an A8-3 and a beautiful flight B6-4 to about 400 feet. I need to stretch this design another inch to make more room for the 12 inch parachute though as it is too tight of a pack. Barclone flight report upcoming!

Old 07-06-2008, 10:05 PM
Got it bad BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
Great, Geoffrey! That really gives me the incentive to finish building up my copy. I have the body parts, just not the fins. Be sure to show me what you changed!

I'll post the plan on the blog tonight.

Sorry, I did not mean for it to sound like I changed the rocket, only the paint scheme.

I extended the black color on the mid fins onto the tube as well. It is now a black strip going from one mid fin to the other. It seemed as though the white body tube needed some kind of color break and that was a convienent place to do it.

However, in my frantic, late night build session, as the norm, I did not read the RockSim parts list correctly. I cut a slew of launch lugs to length and glued them together in pairs. Then marked off the distance from the base of the rocket and started to glue them to the body tube. I was quite supprised when I ran out of the number of tubes called for on the file and was still only about halfway around the body tube.

After rereading the file, I realized that I had used 1/8 lugs instead of what was called out.

Since the others were all ready attached, I just continued to add more of the smaller ones until they went all around. To tell the truth, I think they look better since they don't stick out as far. They are more compact and look like some kind of radiator. I painted them silver to accent the look. It also gave me a convenient place to put the actual launch lug to clear the nose cone section. Worked out great!!

Hope you don't mind the change.

P.S. The nose cone itself is red. Doesn't look it in the photo.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Star Ranger full view.JPG
Views: 105
Size:  175.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Star Ranger bottom half.JPG
Views: 106
Size:  254.6 KB  

NAR 85416 L3 as of 4/2010

"There is never enough rope to do the job but it is always long enough to hang yourself up with problems"
Old 07-06-2008, 11:08 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Pierson
...Maybe we need to define "Fully Proven"...I'm thinking, "Fully Proven" should be three good flights and recovery with the largest motor the design was intended to fly with...

I should have been clearer. What I meant was, these are designs that have been built with real parts, and have been flown with real motors from their respective motor call-out list. Even a single successful flight qualifies. My feeling here is, if the ascent is stable and does not exhibit any bad habits, then the flight is successful. Deployment failure does not necessarily mean a design failure...

Quote:
...glad to make that list as soon as I figure out which ones they are...

Use my simplified criteria above. If it has flown at least once in the "real world", with a clean ascent, then let's use it. Recovery failures can be corrected without a redesign of the airframe...

Quote:
I will find the time to work on the bio soon Craig.

Thanks, JP.

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 07-06-2008, 11:18 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac BAR
I extended the black color on the mid fins onto the tube as well. It is now a black strip going from one mid fin to the other. It seemed as though the white body tube needed some kind of color break and that was a convienent place to do it.

I like the general color pattern. If I were to do a full set of decals, I might want additional panels to be highlighted. I'm not getting into decals for this one...

Quote:
...in my frantic, late night build session, as the norm, I did not read the RockSim parts list correctly...After rereading the file, I realized that I had used 1/8 lugs...To tell the truth, I think they look better since they don't stick out as far. They are more compact and look like some kind of radiator...gave me a convenient place to put the actual launch lug to clear the nose cone section. Worked out great!!

That's sorta what those lugs are supposed to be, a cooling radiator. Silver looks good. Gold, with black edging, might also look good. And no, I don't mind the change at all! I figure, real capital ships (like cruise liners) would see variations over their service life, so your representation just means one service version in that ship's lifespan.

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 07-11-2008, 03:48 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Exclamation New Plan -- Wave Rider

This is a fantasy-sport model that I originally thought might be a good boost-glider. It might actually glide, if properly trimmed, and could be adapted as a parasite glider. For this post, I went with a 13mm mount so it could be flown in smaller fields.

Length: 16.700"
Diameter: 0.908" (ST-8)
Fin Span: 7.408"
Weight: 1.29 oz

One note to consider: The cheek cowls and the canopy are shown as solid balsa. If these are hollowed out, or if a lightweight cardstock canopy and cowls can be fabricated, this weight should be lower, and the resulting altitudes would be higher.

1/2 A3-2T......79'.......Dv 2 FPS.......36" x 1/8" rod
A10-3T.........210'......Dv 8 FPS.......36" x 1/8" rod

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Wave Rider 3D.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  40.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Wave Rider 2D.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  83.1 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Wave Rider.rkt (68.4 KB, 97 views)

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635

Last edited by CPMcGraw : 07-11-2008 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Forgot the launch lug. Oops!
Closed Thread