Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2016, 08:21 PM
Craftsman

Default Green Mountain and Hogback Launch Locations

Hi everyone:

I've been doing a little history reading lately and came across an article by G. Harry Stine where he revisited the original launching grounds on Green Mountain (Model Rocketry Magazine, Jan. 1970).

Please forgive my lack of rocketry history and complete ignorance of all of Colorado, but looking at a present satellite map of Green Mountain, is it safe to say that the locations Mr. Stine describes have been wiped away or covered by encroaching developments?
Old 01-22-2016, 10:42 PM
Junior Rocketeer

I can't remember who told me, but I heard that is the current location of a Lockheed-Martin plant. Martin Marietta did some vibration testing (at the AVL lab at that location) for us at the behest of Dr Bob Blunt as part of the process of getting approval for sale in Germany (quite a few years ago now).
Ed
Old 01-23-2016, 05:51 AM
Lost his Drifter

GHS wrote more articles about the formative years of the hobby in the Model Rocketeer. You might enjoy reading those articles too. By the late 1970s it was already built over.
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 01-23-2016, 06:41 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shockcord
Hi everyone:

I've been doing a little history reading lately and came across an article by G. Harry Stine where he revisited the original launching grounds on Green Mountain (Model Rocketry Magazine, Jan. 1970).

Please forgive my lack of rocketry history and complete ignorance of all of Colorado, but looking at a present satellite map of Green Mountain, is it safe to say that the locations Mr. Stine describes have been wiped away or covered by encroaching developments?

No apologies needed! I grew up in Colorado but I'm not exactly sure of the precise location in Green Mountain. My daughter and her family live near Green Mountain. Thete has been a lot of development here over the years, so it's highly likely it is covered by homes. (And I noticed astronwolf says it was built over in the 70s, which I have no reason to doubt.)

A nearby park, the Bear Creek Lake State Park, is where the NAR Section CRASH flies twice a month. I live up north in Fort Collins, but started flying there in November. It is a beautiful launch site, and pretty close to the famous Red Rocks Park in Morrison, well known for the amazing amphitheater nestled amongst monstrous boulders in the foothills (in the hills in the picture's background). In this picture I am on a hill overlooking the launch site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 49
Size:  1.03 MB  

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp