Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 09:35 PM
Dazed and Confused

Default New TSA Rules???

Looks like they are going to allow pocket knives on planes, but they may shoot you if you try to get on board with toothpaste or hair gel.

Edit: Forgot to add a link to the article.
New TSA Rules on Knives

Last edited by tbzep : 03-12-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:08 AM
It's all nuts & bolts

If memory serves me right......... Box cutters? C'mon America What are we thinking? Just buy up all the ammunition with my 18% I donate every week. That way ya'll wont have to worry about gun control..... That could never happen...... Pocket knives on planes?????? Pocket knife vs. Box cutter????? Some HIGHLY EDUCATED PERSON has not fully learned what an evil person can do with a little piece of steel. Go to any prison and ask an inmate what he can do with a pocket knife. Or a welding rod sharpened to a point. Or a plastic tooth brush sharpened to a point. Or a pencil. Or a can of refried beans in a sock.......Dang, whats it gotta take to get these SMART PEOPLE we trust to make our decisions for us to use their heads for a change?
Old 03-13-2013, 12:35 PM
Master: Dark Art of Model Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubamech
If memory serves me right......... Box cutters? C'mon America What are we thinking? Just buy up all the ammunition with my 18% I donate every week. That way ya'll wont have to worry about gun control..... That could never happen...... Pocket knives on planes?????? Pocket knife vs. Box cutter????? Some HIGHLY EDUCATED PERSON has not fully learned what an evil person can do with a little piece of steel. Go to any prison and ask an inmate what he can do with a pocket knife. Or a welding rod sharpened to a point. Or a plastic tooth brush sharpened to a point. Or a pencil. Or a can of refried beans in a sock.......Dang, whats it gotta take to get these SMART PEOPLE we trust to make our decisions for us to use their heads for a change?

Geez, I've grabbed a knife away from someone, it's not hard.

Master of the Dark Art of Model Rocketry

www.shrox.com
Old 03-13-2013, 12:57 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrox

That's one of the things I've heard in response to this rule change. Knives and such can't bring down an airplane, but
liquid-based bombs can. Cockpit doors are now sealed, and passengers have shown they are ready, willing, and able
to take on unruly and weapons-wielding persons since 9-11. So allowing small knives on airplanes should not be
a big deal. I carry one every day for a variety of reasons and I was always slightly worried I'd have it in my pocket when
I went to board a plane. I like my knife and don't want to have it taken away.

NAR #90990
Semroc SAM #083

BAR Since 2008
Enjoying model rocketry since 1977.
The Spotted Dragon
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Old 03-13-2013, 02:42 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:

Try grabbing mine when I'm expecting you to do it. A terrorist will definitely be expecting it. There were some pretty solid guys on that plane that went down in PA and they didn't succeed.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:47 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd
That's one of the things I've heard in response to this rule change. Knives and such can't bring down an airplane,

I can cut you a lot worse with a legal knife than I can with a box cutter, yet the box cutter wasn't included in the rule change. If they are still worried about box cutters, they better include all sharps.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:06 PM
Old Fart with Rockets

It's run by the government, of course it's idiotic. Whenever I hear of something stupid like this, I assume the goverment is using it to hide something else.

Mike

Last edited by mikemech : 03-13-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:41 PM
Master: Dark Art of Model Rocketry

Use a towel or a shirt, and focus on ensnaring the hand with the knife is probably the safest way.

Master of the Dark Art of Model Rocketry

www.shrox.com
Old 03-13-2013, 07:33 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Use a towel or a shirt, and focus on ensnaring the hand with the knife is probably the safest way.

If I'm hijacking a plane with a knife and I see you coming toward me half naked, I think I'm going to be ready for you....but not in that kind of way.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:11 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd
That's one of the things I've heard in response to this rule change. Knives and such can't bring down an airplane, but
liquid-based bombs can. Cockpit doors are now sealed, and passengers have shown they are ready, willing, and able
to take on unruly and weapons-wielding persons since 9-11. So allowing small knives on airplanes should not be
a big deal. I carry one every day for a variety of reasons and I was always slightly worried I'd have it in my pocket when
I went to board a plane. I like my knife and don't want to have it taken away.

I don't necessarily agree with the change either (but I can't say I'm up in arms about it though), however I think their reasoning for the change you pretty well hit square on the head.

The main worry for any of the post- 9/11 issues with airplanes has been having them turned into flying bombs. With the sealed cockpit doors now, that is largely a worry of the past. Now yes, there should be concern for the safety of those passengers on the OTHER side of the door, but cold hard facts about it, that is secondary really to keeping that plane....ANY plane....from becoming a flying bomb. And if EVERYONE has a knife, then ONE person pulling a knife is really kind of stupid thing to try.

And yes, post-9/11 anyone weilding a knife and attempting to do any real harm inside the aircraft (and they may do so to one or two passengers before they are stopped) is gonna be summarily beaten to h**l and back (and they should be) by the passengers on board. And they should be. With impunity. Then kicked overboard before the plane lands, if possible, or...AS it is landing. Pilot's choice.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970

Last edited by Earl : 03-13-2013 at 08:13 PM. Reason: missed a word