Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Semroc > SVDT - Semroc Virtual Design Team
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2007, 02:03 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
...will there be enough buyers to justify 1/4A boosters?
We don't have the same problem as the larger companies. We already have more items online than they have combined. Are there enough buyers to justify a BNC-10A nose cone? No, but there are enough buyers for a wide selection of parts as long as each one does not require capital investment and large inventories. We look at engines the same way.
Quote:
What all this leaves out is 13mm B motors. Perhaps those would use a longer case. I suspect there may be some serious technical challenges with these. MPC had problems. And I think Centuri did, too. And that may explain why Estes never did B-T's.

Now, if a reliable B motor can be built in a 13mm case, then the same adaptor scheme described above may apply. I have a hunch there's a certain minimum aspect ratio (diameter to length) that applies for getting high reliability. IOW, you can't put a big core in a narrow motor. So a 13mm B14 might not be possible, but I'm not an expert.
The original Estes engines were the same ID (.406") as current 13mm engines. They changed to .5" ID for "manufacturing reliability." Their C.8-0 was a 2.25" slug of BP. It was packed in about 6 different steps. You can only pack one charge a depth of roughly the diameter of the tube, so the .5" ID made for fewer steps, just like shortening the length of the 13mm "T" engines.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 01-07-2007, 02:04 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
Carl,

Don't forget about California classification for your motors.

I want to fly them!

Bob
We will have that! They can't be contest certified without it either.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 01-07-2007, 02:59 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Carl,

Have you ever asked Vern or Ed Brown about the run of mini-motors they made in glassine covered spiral-wound tubes (or did *you* ever try making motors like that?) The ones I have (two A3-0T and one 1/2A3-0T) are marked 6M171 and 6M271. I can't remember for sure, but I think I got them at NARAM-13. Maybe they were test motors that somehow got out in the wild. I think I flew a few of them, but don't remember if I just had boosters or if there were delay ones made. I certainly don't remember the flights or if they had any problems due to the spiral.

Knowing what little I know now about the motor making process, I could see a few problems starting with manufacture (could the tube survive the pressure needed for pressing) to operation (did the pressure on the slurry force propellant into the groove enough that there was no way for the flame front to propagate up it?).
Old 01-07-2007, 05:18 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
Carl,

Have you ever asked Vern or Ed Brown about the run of mini-motors they made in glassine covered spiral-wound tubes (or did *you* ever try making motors like that?) The ones I have (two A3-0T and one 1/2A3-0T) are marked 6M171 and 6M271. I can't remember for sure, but I think I got them at NARAM-13. Maybe they were test motors that somehow got out in the wild. I think I flew a few of them, but don't remember if I just had boosters or if there were delay ones made. I certainly don't remember the flights or if they had any problems due to the spiral.

Knowing what little I know now about the motor making process, I could see a few problems starting with manufacture (could the tube survive the pressure needed for pressing) to operation (did the pressure on the slurry force propellant into the groove enough that there was no way for the flame front to propagate up it?).
I never knew that!The Micro-Max II engines are spiral wound fishpaper like coupler tubes. Looked like a great idea for 10mm and 13mm since fishpaper is about eight times stronger than kraft. The walls could be much thinner. Unfortunately, fishpaper burns through much faster and the spirals, unless very tight, form a "fuse" of black powder around the delay. The spiral fills up with black powder so the delay gets bypassed.

I have tried glassine covered spiral tubes for DECAPS. It holds together for nine seconds, being a much better insulator and does not deform as bad as I thought it would under pressure. The difference in cost between high-pressure kraft and the spiral tubes is very small so the parallel kraft is probably better..
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 01-08-2007, 12:52 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default 1/2a6-2

Checked the 2006 Estes catalog and online, the 1/2A6-2 is still listed.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:20 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
Good input! This is very well received. As I said, the first step is to get a large enough list to get started, get the list approved, then be able to ship samples for testing.

How large of a list?

A full line of 18X70, the "R", "S", and "T" series. Including low power boosters and core burners.

Is there any reason the "R" series could not be made in a thinner walled 13X70mm tube as well as the heavy wall 18mm?

A 13mm (or 18mm) B3-x with a 1.4 sec burn, more fun stuff!

How about the 10mm for the contest folks.

Last edited by Mark+3 : 01-08-2007 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:27 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark+3
How large of a list?
As complete as possible for at least the first year.

Quote:
Is there any reason the "R" series could not be made in a thinner walled 13X70mm tube as well as the heavy wall 18mm?
The "R" series is the "Retro" series modeled after the original from the early 60's. Also the early A5 engines used the thicker walls.

Quote:
A 13mm (or 18mm) B3-x with a 1.4 sec burn, more fun stuff!
The 13mm B is there, but the long burn in the 13mm tube may not be feasable.
Quote:
How about the 10mm for the contest folks.
That is definitely in there!
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 01-08-2007, 01:30 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
The family portrait is not complete. I hope to get it updated soon. The S is there. I think only a 3/4B-x will fit in the 1.75" package. But a full B6-0 will fit. Or B14-0S.

I checked an Estes B6-4 with a depth gauge, 1.2" of headroom above the cap. How much clearance is needed for manufacturing?
Old 01-08-2007, 01:36 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark+3
I checked an Estes B6-4 with a depth gauge, 1.2" of headroom above the cap. How much clearance is needed for manufacturing?
The Estes B6-4 is only about 4.3 N-sec. We are trying to get closer to the specified limit. Then it might be close.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 01-08-2007, 01:44 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default Question

Are "core burning" and "port burning" the same thing?