Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What type of surface do you place your hobby type of launch pad on?
Gravel \ Rocks 5 7.69%
Dirt 13 20.00%
Grass 54 83.08%
Asphalt \ Cement 5 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-15-2013, 09:24 AM
Master Modeler

Default What Type of Ground Surface do you Fly From

When you our out flying rockets with your kids or friends and not flying in a club environment where a club rack launcher may be used what type of surface do you place your hobby type of launch pad on?

When you our out flying rockets with your kids or friends and not flying in a club environment, where a club rack launcher may be used what type of surface do you typically place your hobby type of launch pad on? I'm talking about pads like Estes, Quest or something you may have come up with.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:09 PM
Craftsman

in our 'off' season launches, we quite frequently use 'hobby' pads for lpr (1/8" rod) on a snow/ice covered gravel ...for some reason we don't get a lot of folks wanting to launch when it is below freezing with 12" of snow to trudge through.
rex
Old 03-15-2013, 04:17 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

A few years ago, I purchased a heavy mat normally used under grills as a way of additional protection from potential fire-starting. The pad sits in the center and has at least 15-18 inches of separation from the bare ground or grass around it.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 03-15-2013, 05:23 PM
7/21/61

John,

There is a local high school which sits adjacent to a public park where Emma and I do tons of practice launches. There are a large number of small grass fields there and we can usually find one open and at a favorable wind location.

We pretty much try to keep everything there less than 400 feet. Although we have very sophisticated launch systems (tower launchers, piston launchers, Pratt and NCR electrical systems), whenever possible we try to simplify to launch with one of three Estes tripads and the test version of the electron beam you sent us.

We will routinely tape launch lugs on our FAI rockets so we can launch them off a tripad. The reason for this is that we are trying to keep altitudes low and the tripads are just so portable and convenient. So easily angled with a rock or stick under one leg. Estes has been making the same pad for years and it's just so ridiculously simple and effective that we use it all the time. Although we frequently launch on sunburned grass, we've never had a fire or scorching issue using the tripads.

Steve
Old 03-15-2013, 06:36 PM
Master Modeler

I most often fly at a county park. Sometimes we set up the launch rack on the grass, sometimes on the sand of a baseball diamond.

The biggest launch I got to is held on a grass farm, after the crop has been trimmed. Dirt and stubble. The latter can be flammable, alas.

I haven't been in years, but Oregon Rocketry's Brothers launch site is in the high desert. Loose gritty soil, sagebrush, rocks.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 03-15-2013, 07:21 PM
Old BAR

I and my buds fly off a large field in the Congaree Swamp. My own field there is adequate, about 250 acres but my next door neighbor has over a thousand acres and has very few obstacles (irrigation, etc). Of course, the fields are surrounded by ancient hardwoods, but we have been able to avoid those so far...
There, we use the old Estes wooden tri-pod launchers for most of the 18mm stuff. I love them! We have a few of the Estes plastic-legged launchers, too, and always dedicate one for a 3/16 rod.
I use an Aerotech Mantis Pad for my Mid-Power rockets.

The 'Organized' launches are on a Super-Sod grass field that is absolutely HUGE, with racks for low-power, mid-power, and the faraway ones for the hi-power birds. The local club is well-run and loaded with great, helpful folks. I always have a great time when I can go. Pantherjon knows of which I speak!

Allen
Old 03-15-2013, 10:29 PM
Black Wolf Rocketry

Always on grass, whether at a park or just some empty lots. It feels better on the feet. Of course, the folks up north call it weeds.

I hate rules.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:13 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ
Default Agua

Old 03-16-2013, 02:33 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

My daughter and I launch at the local soccer field. Our club launches from one of the RC runways at the AMA in Muncie. Around 1000 acres of grass and fields to land on. Most of my rockets find the tar.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:53 PM
Aggressor Aerospace

Was reading the paper this morning, and apparently we have some idiots here in Colorado Springs who like to launch from tall, dry weeds. You guessed it: "Model Rocket sparks brush fire." Thankfull, a very small fire.

Very dry out here. The county may ban model rocketry without a permit this summer - something they've done in the past. Sadly - it's "understandable," at least from an outsider's point of view, when foolish people spark a fire!