Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2012, 02:42 PM
Bona-Fide Space Hero

Default Metallic Spray Paint

I've been flying my VF-261 naked for... a really long time now. I wanted a really cool paint job on it, and have needed to rebuild my skills.

I saw some nice, shiny chrome paint at Hobby-X and was wondering if anyone had tried it out on a rocket yet and if there are any tricks I should keep in mind when using it.

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2012, 03:17 PM
Master Modeler

Depends on the brand as to how it will look. Some are more "chrome-like" than others and it's a pretty wide range. My limited experience with them is that they are thinner than other paints. Light coats will get you there. Don't spray it like you do other paints or it will run in a heart-beat. It took two or three times and as many wipe-downs before I figured that out. And for some reason they stink like no other paint I've tried. Oh, they like to be sprayed over black. It really does help a lot.

I just bought a can of Rustoleum Metallic with the chrome cap. I'm hopeful it will be the brightest I've had based on what I've seen elsewhere. The three varieties I've tried have been pretty gray—despite what the can said.

Some here with more experience will doubtless give you better, more useful info on this. I'll be reading their suggestions as well.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:29 PM
Master Modeler

One of the most painstaking things about spraying any metallic be it rattle can or airbrush is the surface has to be blemish free or any imperfection will show through. It takes a lot of prep work of the surface and very much sanding to provide a smooth finish. Foamy is correct, use a black basecote as a primer.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:38 PM
Old BAR

Also, to add, once all is dry, be careful handling the finish; it tends to show fingerprints well!
A silver enamel or lacquer paint almost always will show blemishes. When your spray is dry, and you're happy with it, simply coat it with Pledge (old Future floor finish). DO NOT use a krylon or similar clear coat, as it will darken (tarnish?) the entire paint job.

An exception to the above is the Alclad brand of paints. These are made to be airbrushed and are much more tolerant to the above warnings, assuming they are applied according to normal directions.

One more thing: Don't try to spray or apply a different color OVER the silver, as it will peel or chip off easily. This is a great feature if you want to 'weather' a model (chips of paint missing on removable panels, walkways, ****pit flooring, etc) though.

Hope this helps!
Allen
Old 03-27-2012, 04:16 PM
Master Modeler

I've kind of given up on shiny-chrome-silver finishes.

I instead go for a lustrous "scale brushed-steel" look.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 03-27-2012, 08:12 PM
Old Submariner

The "chromiest" chrome paint I've ever used is called Spaztix chrome laquer. As the name implies it is indeed a lacquer and has to sprayed over black lacquer. It's thin, it's hard to use, BUT it's true chrome. And yes, the surface prep has to be absolutely smooth. I have an extra can of it that you can have, but I can't send it until I get home from India. The "V2 Vixen" wouldn't be able to locate it in my room of "priceless treasures" in 10 x 10 million years anyway.

Besides, she's too busy doing laundry, or dishes, or scrubbing floors, or---whatever it is women do when their man is stuck in India.

---I sure hope it's NOT shopping!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0353.JPG
Views: 78
Size:  164.3 KB  

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078

Last edited by jeffyjeep : 03-27-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:04 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
I've kind of given up on shiny-chrome-silver finishes.

I instead go for a lustrous "scale brushed-steel" look.

Oh, boy. I know the name of that tune.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 05-01-2012, 10:31 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Thumbs up Silver over Black spray paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamy
Oh, they like to be sprayed over black. It really does help a lot.
Excellent suggestion! I was amazed by the difference a black undercoat makes, especially when it comes to filling in the gaps that show up with terrifying clarity if you just spray silver directly on top of primer (or naked wood and paper).

Foamy, you're my personal rocketry superhero today! Thanks so much!

Cheers,
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014
Old 05-02-2012, 01:49 PM
NAR #78048 L1 - Life Member

The shiniest silver that I've used of late is Valspar Silver from their brilliant metallics line. It seems to come out very close to a polished metal, and has the convenience of being in a rattle-can format. But as Mr. Harding has been quick to point out, like most metallics it doesn't mix well with a solvent-based clear coat. It has to be left native if the shine is to be preserved.

The photo below shows the balsa nose on my PSC Infinity, finished in Valspar Silver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Almost Finished.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  410.4 KB  
YORF #003
SAM #004