Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2012, 05:16 PM
Craftsman

Default G-Force Re-Maiden Launch After Extensive Repair

Almost 4 years ago I launched my Aerotech G-Force on a G64-4 and, as we found out later, because of a combination not enough BP in the ejection charge and the "cooling mesh" in the motor tube it failed to eject the chute and went in ballistic destroying the upper tube and nosecone.

Because of a lot of "stuff" like moving back to the Chicago area and medical issues for both my wife and I kept me away from the hobby since shortly after that launch.

Well,,I'm back now and I rebuilt it with the help of folks on forums and in the club I belong to I launched it once again this last weekend.

I left out the cooling mesh and used a G76-4 Mohave green motor this time. I did not finish it (no paint) just in case.
The launch went well and I found out the following.
Here is a video. Mine is the last launch.
http://youtu.be/OVAu7Pz7TNk

1. There is no need to use the cooling mesh if you use a Kevlar shock cord at the attachment point above the motor mount and wrap the chute and the additional tubular nylon and elastic shock cords in a Kevlar blanket. I actually had it set up this way 4 yrs ago but back then I had the cooling mesh in motor tube.
The blanket had only a slight discoloration from the ejection charge and a little ash in the coupler.

2. This rocket needs to have rail buttons installed (doing it today) and a rail used on windy days. The 1/4 rod is fine on mostly calm days but if a rail is available then why not use it??
Because of the strong wind I had to delay pushing the launch button until the wind slowed down and the rocket went back into the angle we set up.
I will never launch another large rocket on anything but a rail in the future.

3. I like the G64-4 better (all that white smoke:cool and will use it next time but will add a bit more BP to the ejection charge.

4. Thanks to good advice from a club member using a smaller chute (a 36" instead of my 48" with a spill hole) kept it out of the trees and the bean field on that really windy day,,
Thanks Don.:thumbup:

I plan to extend the upper portion and make it DD for a Level 1 attempt in the near future. I don't think I will need the DD for that but I was thinking it would be used for higher flights later and when it's real windy maybe I can get it to come down quicker initially with a drogue for few seconds and keep it in the landing area.
What you all think about that plan??

Now I have to get going and build my two remaining Semroc kits the "Saturn 1B" and the "Orbital Transport" and I see that Carl has come out with the "Omega" which I asked him about a long time ago because it was one from way back in the 70's that I had and had a great fondness for along with the Cineroc. I still have the simulated Cineroc nosecone I had for it then.
Thanks Carl I will be getting that soon.

Thanks for any input.
Ed