Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2012, 04:21 PM
When Pigs Fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
True to form, two minutes later my first bird was on the pad, a Centuri Vulcan that I cloned years ago, but only recently relocated the launch lug on in an attempt to straighten out a wobbly flight pattern.:sad:Yeah, that didn't work.

Flight was on a B6-4 and ten feet off the rod it went completely unstable and began skywriting. It seemed to be half trying to float and half trying to respond to the thrust of the motor, only attaining a height of 60' before crashing back into the infield. The ejection charge fired as it sat on the ground.

How much nose weight is in the Vulcan?
I had an older Starlight (hollow) plastic nose cone and pretty much filled it with 1/2 oz. of clay. The shoulder was cut off the nose cone. The clay holds the knotted elastic shock cord like the old Centuri instructions had you do.
http://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot...-nose-cone.html

The more vertical launch lug seems to have helped mine. I flew it this last Saturday at the Orlando R.O.C.K. launch with a B6-2. It flew straight with no wiggle all the way to ejection.

www.oddlrockets.com
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com
http://www.nar.org/educational-reso...ing-techniques/
Your results may vary
"Nose cones roll, be careful with that."
Every spaceman needs a ray gun.
Look out - I'm the Meister Shyster!
Old 06-04-2012, 04:24 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Rough start, but a great ending!

Nah, that poor ol' Vulcan has been sitting in the garage for years. It was a mess back before we moved, so I wasn't surprised when moving the launch lug didn't have a positive effect on the flight pattern. I'm pretty sure it was just printed out on slightly heavier than normal typing paper. I'd like to build another one with heavier cardstock and the relocated launch lug, but I'm trying to clean up my unfinished projects right now, not starting new ones.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 06-04-2012, 04:27 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcmbanjo
How much nose weight is in the Vulcan?
I had an older Starlight (hollow) plastic nose cone and pretty much filled it with 1/2 oz. of clay. The shoulder was cut off the nose cone. The clay holds the knotted elastic shock cord like the old Centuri instructions had you do.
http://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot...-nose-cone.html

The more vertical launch lug seems to have helped mine. I flew it this last Saturday at the Orlando R.O.C.K. launch with a B6-2. It flew straight with no wiggle all the way to ejection.

Not sure how much weight-wise, but I have two large head screws and a screw eye. Should be plenty. As I said earlier, this bird was built using flimsy typing paper. I'm going to try again with thicker cardstock and the relocated lug.
I should have gone with a B6-2. That thing sat on the ground for an eternity after the "THUD" recovery.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 06-05-2012, 05:19 PM
Craftsman

GREAT pics! Big or small, high power or low, model rockets are just plain FUN! Nice buncha missles ya got there!
Old 06-06-2012, 04:37 AM
Old BAR

Great shots!
Love the sparks from the Alpha's motor as it leaves the pad. Very dramatic!

Well Done!

Allen
Old 06-06-2012, 05:37 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gibson
GREAT pics! Big or small, high power or low, model rockets are just plain FUN! Nice buncha missles ya got there!

Just the tip of the iceberg. I'm trying to fly them in order of least flown. (Or unflown, in some cases.)

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 06-06-2012, 05:39 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag
Great shots!
Love the sparks from the Alpha's motor as it leaves the pad. Very dramatic!

Well Done!

Allen

Thanks. I like the way this camera handles low light situations. Now I just need to mess with the settings to see if I can sharpen them up a little. The flames are pretty cool. Giving me the urge to try a night launch sometime in the next few weeks.

I miss being SAM 0058