Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Swap Shoppe > For Sale
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2015, 04:20 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Saturn 1B Kit Bash

Hello Everyone,

My name is Jacob, I'm new here so please don't rake me over the coals here.

I am doing a kickstarter to make a 3D Printable Saturn 1B that you can either print on your own or purchase a printed kit.

I am offering 2 different versions-
1. Static Model-this model will be like your standard plastic model kit showing detail of the first stage, second stage, instrument unit, and csm.
2. Flyable Model-This will be a flyable version of the model based off the 1/100th Estes Saturn 1B you can find here on the forum in the instructions section. I'm designing the flyable version to fly on either a Estes C-65 or a D motor.

Rewards for backing-
$5-Special Thank You! Join the movement in desktop kit bashing. You will receive all the updates as the project progresses and your own miniature Saturn 1B to print on your own.
$25-3D Printable Saturn 1B in 1/100th Scale. Parts designed to fit any printer with a 4"x4"x4" build volume or bigger.
$30-3D Printable Saturn 1B in 1/100th Scale. Parts designed to fit any printer with a 4"x4"x4" build volume or bigger. Plus a personalize display stand for you to print and display your desktop piece of awesomeness!!!
$50-3D Printed 1/100th Saturn 1B Kit for those who don't have a 3D Printer. Delivered just in time for christmas.
$50-3D Printed flyable Saturn 1B.
$150-Limited Edition 3D Printed 1/100th Saturn 1B assembled with display stand. in addition to the model created for you, a model will be given to a school for the blind of your choice to give blind students a glimpse in to rocketry.

The first model renderings are going up on Valentines day of the lower first stage. So please back with confidence. I'm a Mechanical Engineering Technology student and have a very firm grasp of CAD and 3D Printing. If you have questions for me please feel free to ask. All of the profits from this project are going to fund machine, filament costs, and train tickets for a volunteer project I do at the Field Museum in chicago.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...g?ref=discovery

Last edited by ayersjl : 02-16-2015 at 06:00 PM.
Old 02-13-2015, 04:39 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayersjl
Hello Everyone,

My name is Jacob, I'm new here so please don't rake me over the coals here.

Welcome, Jacob. I'll be gentle.

Quote:
2. Flyable Model-This will be a flyable version of the model based off the 1/100th Estes Saturn 1B you can find here on the forum in the instructions section. I'm designing the flyable version to fly on either a Estes C-65 or a D motor.

A C6-5 is not going to be enough motor for a model of that size. And I am surprised you did not specify the shorter delay of a C6-3. The original Centuri version of that Saturn 1B used a cluster of two 18mm motors.

Is the flying version completely printed in plastic with model rocket guts added for flight or is it more like the Estes/Centuri kit with plastic parts and more traditional model rocket materials for the bulk of it? Many of the plastic parts Estes/Centuri provided were vacuformed for lightness; can you make 3D printed parts that thin?

One other comment. 3D printed parts can vary as to the quality of the surface. Some have highly visible lines which have to be sanded down or filled. There is not going to be much interest in having to do that on a model this big and complex.

Quote:

That link does not work.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 02-13-2015, 06:54 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Thanks Bill.

Hopefully this link isn't broken.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...g?ref=discovery

I apologize on my motor quoting. its been about 5 or 6 years since I've dove deep into model rocket stuff. My design goal is to keep the model under 200 grams. Got a motor suggestion for that? Want to keep it inexpensive to launch and have it just be a single motor. Do you think an Estes d12-3 would do it?

I basing it off the Estes instructions found on the forum and else where. Its going to be all made of 3D Printed parts. For parts like the Fuel tanks geometry's real basic so the lines you are talking about won't be a problem. Even at low resolutions(250-300 microns) has a nice even surface finish as long as you have your feeds and speeds right for your machine. as for the detail parts like nozzles, second stage, fin can, etc they will be ran at around 75 microns which will have a nice surface finish as is with ABS. For the ones that I print I plan on chemically treating each part with acetone to chemically smooth them and clean up any loose edges so the person building it doesn't have to worry about that.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:36 PM
Old BAR

Not to throw water on your enthusiasm, but i'm guessing your flying version of the model will need a large amount of nose weight due to its large mass. Larger mass, more nose weight, even more mass, MUCH larger motor, more mass...do you see where this is headed? All plastic saturns have been done before (Cox comes to mind), and they are not really great flyers.
Only way is to build one and see. Working the physics out with some of the computer programs out there might help, too.
Also, acetone wiping the parts will not work consistently, I don't think. It might just make a mess.
Build one, and if its successful, they will come, as long as its cheap enough.
Allen
Old 02-14-2015, 06:20 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
I apologize on my motor quoting. its been about 5 or 6 years since I've dove deep into model rocket stuff. My design goal is to keep the model under 200 grams. Got a motor suggestion for that? Want to keep it inexpensive to launch and have it just be a single motor. Do you think an Estes d12-3 would do it?

At 200 grams, a D12-3 should be fine. The E9 has a lower thrust spike than the D12 and may not get the model up to speed quickly enough. The E12 is like a longer burning D12, but both E motors are substantially heavier than the D12, probably putting you into a more nose weight/bigger motor death spiral. A C6 motor is definitely out of the question.

Allen makes a good point about needing noseweight for stability. That cluster of tanks and the complicated fin can puts a bunch of weight where you do not want it. You may wind up needing a composite motor (higher thrust along with lower motor weight) to fly it.

That said, I might spring for a static model. It would look great in a display with the recently rereleased MPC Vostok (also in 1/100 scale) bashed into a Soyuz.

Finally, if you can print thin parts, you can probably sell that scalloped shroud above the fins all by itself. Print the shroud, wraps for the second stage and the interstage and parts for the command module, reaction control pods for the service module and the escape tower and you can do well selling a repro of the original Centuri/Estes flying kit.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 02-16-2015, 06:05 PM
Junior Rocketeer

http://kck.st/1CXG1r0

Updated the rewards to make them a little more economical for the the modeler. $50 for each. Also have the basis for the first stage scalloped shroud complete in the updates.

Allen, Its actually not wiping it in acetone. You put acetone on a hot plate under a vacuum safety hood and bring the acetone to a boil below the suspended prints. The acetone vapors act as a solvent and make a pretty consistent and beautiful surface finish. If you do it with the right print resolution you can make an injection molded finish.