Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2010, 03:15 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
Hi, Jeff,

Yes, it's brush on. It's alcohol based, so it dries fast, but pick up some ethanol for clean-up. The Zinsser is about 10$/quart, but equal to many, many $4 cans of spray primer. It's also available in a spray can, but I don't like it - it comes out way too fast.

When brushing it on, because it dries fast, you will get brush strokes if you don't keep your brush wet.

I like to put it down as the first layer over the balsa and paper after the glues (& glass, if applicable). I then put the FnF (filler) over the Zinsser for fillets and for filling the grain and spirals. In fact, I've gotten to where I just about don't even bother with the grain and spirals. With a couple coats of rattle can primer over the Zinsser, most of that stuff is filled.

There is no sure fire one-coat grain filler. It comes down to how picky you are. I find that nearly four fill/sand passes are needed to completely fill balsa no matter what I use. Sometimes I use Zinsser, then thinned FnF, then rattle can primer, then touch up with more FnF followed by more rattle can; sometimes it's two coats of Zinsser, then two coats of rattle can; sometimes it's something else Sometimes, I just put one coat of primer down, then paint. I can make it look like molded plastic when I'm in the mood, but, as they say, there comes a time to shoot the engineers and start production, or, in our case, fly that mutha

I did have one lady ask me at a launch years ago if my rocket was made of plastic I explained that it was balsa and paper. She got quite wide eyed after that

Doug

Thanks so much for this info, Doug!
Yes, the artistic side of me needs to chill a bit due to the reality of rockets-they may be lost or burned. I ended up cutting new ones (my first time ever doing this), elmering-fiiler them with a few coats and priming. I forgot about a can of Duplicolor grey lacquer primer so I just sprayed a few coats onto the balsa first to act as a barrier and hardener which has worked well so far. So, next the fillets using titebond molding-trim glue and painting. After U use up this primer, the Zissner stuff sounds like a great idea. Thanks again, Doug and to everyone else who responded! Jeff.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:09 PM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

I generally throw two coats of cheap primer (red oxide, then gray over the top, if I have any red oxide), a light sanding to take off the fuzzy bits, then FnF wherever the rocket has significant seams. Then I begin sanding and priming in earnest.

Oddly, I also find that I have to sand a rocket about 4 times to get it smooth enough and hide the seams. Perhaps we're picky or something.
Once upon a better day... SAM #0076
My site: http://rocketry.gonnerman.org