Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2011, 06:12 AM
Banned

Default I plan to BREAK THE LAW today, Sun June 12!

There I was completely wasting out of work and down ...
All inside its so frustrating as I drift from town to town...

No, its not Judas Priest breaking the law, but I will be breaking Federal/State Law as it is in California and for the rest of us, the end of 2011.

What am I going to do later today at Walmart?

Answer: Buy all the 100 Watt Light bulbs I can find!

Here is the scoop; isn't for Federal Government the greatest!?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...ia-postrel.html

And you really believe in this system? Answer: I guess we have no choice...

Jonathan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L397TWLwrUU <--- Breaking the Law video
Old 06-12-2011, 06:32 AM
Banned

Had to add this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U__m...&feature=relmfu

Priest was one of my top 5 bands in high school ... yes I was a screwed up brotha, but hey I turned out OK in the end!

Jonathan
Old 06-12-2011, 08:03 AM
Master Modeler

Default Let us know...

Hey Jonathan

Let us know when the deed is done so one of us can call the state police on you!
Old 06-12-2011, 08:04 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohetero-negro
Answer: Buy all the 100 Watt Light bulbs I can find!

I have stocked up on 100 and 75 watt incandescent bulbs. I estimate I have a several year supply. The Menard's in Morris Illinois ran a sale several weeks ago and we bought about 200 of them.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:15 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Man, the jokes on you. In summer of 2005 I replaced all but five of my incandescent bulbs with CFL bulbs (27 in all, and the five that are left are low-wattage bulbs in appliances and in a special fixture that I don't use much). Two have burned out since then.

My electric usage is lower, by about 10% since 2005 (big ticket items like A/C, refrigerator, and my always-on computers are the bulk of it.)

All the other complaints (the lights' colors) listed in the article sound like they are using traditional fluorescents or not really using CFLs at all.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:34 PM
Technohippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
Man, the jokes on you. In summer of 2005 I replaced all but five of my incandescent bulbs with CFL bulbs (27 in all, and the five that are left are low-wattage bulbs in appliances and in a special fixture that I don't use much). Two have burned out since then.

My electric usage is lower, by about 10% since 2005 (big ticket items like A/C, refrigerator, and my always-on computers are the bulk of it.)

All the other complaints (the lights' colors) listed in the article sound like they are using traditional fluorescents or not really using CFLs at all.

Shhh. Let the silly ********* think he's some kind of "rough tough rebel". Meanwhile, the rest of us can enjoy lower electric bills....
Old 06-12-2011, 04:11 PM
BAR

Oh, the fallacy of so much of this claptrap that's based on "junk science"... We should call this stuff "junk legislation" and "junk regulation".

I remember the big debate over the CAFE (car fuel economy) standards back when Clinton was president... The "do gooders" wanted to raise the CAFE standards to 50mpg, which would virtually eliminate anything over a half-ton pickup from the roads, (except for commercial trucks of course) and force everyone into mini-coopers and smart cars (which hadn't been invented yet LOL

Now, I'll be the first to rue the OBVIOUS FRIVILOUS WASTE of these city-slicker idiots running around in Hummers getting 8 mpg... ESPECIALLY when it's some STUPID FRUIT-CAKE WOMAN DRIVER who wants to survive the wreck she causes yakking on her cell phone instead of driving, no matter who else she kills in the process... (as reported in an issue of "Nat Geo" I read in the doctor's office a few years ago, where some stupid woman real-estate agent admitted that was her primary reason for driving a Hummer all day every day). We have the next worst thing here in Texas-- every idiot with two nickels to rub together buys the BIGGEST BADDEST DIESEL DUALLY ONE TON SUPER FOUR DOOR CREW CAB next of kin to a semi truck and then jacks it up with oversize mud tires and then turns their 16 year old daughters loose in them to terrorize the roads... I regularly get run off the road by some dingey brat girl who has NO FRIGGIN' CLUE how to drive one of these battleships, let alone while yakking on the phone, and constantly rides the line, putting her dual tire in MY LANE... Personally I'd LOVE to see these 'cowboy cadillacs' either outright outlawed or taxed to death-- after all, if you have $50,000 bucks to blow on a 1 ton diesel dually TOY and turn it over to a 16 year old, you can afford to pay $1,000 or $2,000 a year in road tax for the tags for it!!

Now I run a FARM and could actually USE such a beast, but I can't justify the costs to run one... I can get by with a 1/2 ton pickup, and so I do, and pocket the savings from the extra expenses a battleship 1 ton truck would incur...

BUT, when the discussion of the CAFE standards was hot and heavy, talk was that in a few years, most of the trucks that the companies would offer would be the size of say a Ford Ranger, or a Chevy S-10, or at most the slightly bigger Dodge Dakota... "experts" were singing how WONDERFUL this would be-- why it would GREATLY reduce fuel consumption and therefore pollution...

Didn't pass the smell test and still doesn't... here's why--

I "make do" with a half ton truck-- my biggest 'regular' hauling job is hauling hay 100 miles west to our other farm at Shiner-- we bale hay locally here for our cows on this farm, because (usually) we can grow much larger hay crops here than at Shiner due to the climate, and MUCH cheaper, even with hauling, than growing it there (and CERTAINLY cheaper than BUYING it there!). SO, I load three 1200-1500 pound round bales on a 16 foot flatbed trailer behind my half ton pickup once a week and haul it up there to feed cows. Add in the 1500 pounds of trailer and you've got a load of 6,000 lbs... pretty much all a half-ton pickup can reasonably handle on the hills up there. Now, my 02 Ford F-150 crew cab gets about 18 mpg-- and fairly close to that (maybe around 16) when pulling the loaded trailer. My old 96 F-150 I had at the time got about 16 unloaded and 14 loaded... not too bad to deliver 4500 pounds of cargo 100 miles and return home.

Now, if I could ONLY buy a 1/4 ton truck (Ford Ranger, etc) instead of the half-ton pickup, I'd STILL have to deliver the SAME LOAD to the other farm to feed cows-- only now I'm doing it with a smaller vehicle that can't handle that big a load. SO, I'll have to make TWO TRIPS to do the work I did on ONLY ONE TRIP before... The Ranger pickup will get better mileage, true, BUT, not DOUBLE the mileage! At best I could only expect about MAYBE 24 mpg or so out of a Ranger, and of course MUCH LESS loaded-- probably about 20-22 mpg AT MOST. BUT, now I have to make TWO TRIPS-- I'd have to buy a smaller 10 foot single-axle trailer (to minimize weight) and could only haul two bales at a time on it, and basically be OVERLOADING the truck on that trip anyway (since the trailer would weigh about 1000 lbs, plus the 3000 lbs of hay, for a total of 4,000 lbs.) I'd have to drive the 200 mile round trip, then load up and GO AGAIN to deliver the third bale... putting ANOTHER 200 mile round trip on the truck and trailer! Plus, say I'm getting 20 mpg instead of 16 in the half ton-- big woop, since now I'm having to travel DOUBLE THE MILES to make the second trip-- so in effect now I'm getting TEN MILES/GALLON doing the same work with a tiny truck that I was getting SIXTEEN MILES/GALLON in with the larger pickup and trailer and doing it all at once. I'm putting twice as many miles on the tiny truck, wearing it out faster, wearing out the tires twice as fast, travelling twice as far to do the same work, wearing out the roads faster, while cutting my productivity and free time IN HALF because now I'm making a DOUBLE TRIP, in addition to cutting my fuel efficiency by ONE THIRD (at least).

Talk about your false economy!!! I also realize that there are guys who are in the same boat, who would have to do DOUBLE TRIPS with a half-ton truck to do the work their doing now with a one-ton pickup, and despite the fact that I RUE the idea of these idiot kids being turned loose in one ton diesel duallys, and despise the waste of these idiots with more money than sense running around in them like a family sedan because they pull a ten foot long two-horse trailer or a jetski one weekend a month or so (at most) and think they "need" one or want some big cowboy cadillac, and while I might secretly wish they'd ban them, I DO realize that it would create the same dichotomy for someone who had a GENUINE NEED for a one-ton truck who'd have to double trip to do it with a half ton, same as I would with a smaller truck... and so I grouse a bit but realize that you have to take the good with the bad....

We need FAR less useless idiots telling everybody else what's best for them and MORE folks minding their own d@mn business... We farmers now have everybody from Greenpeace to the ASPCA telling us how we should raise crops and livestock-- ESPECIALLY SOB's like ASPCA! They keep dictating what farmers should and shouldn't be allowed to do, regardless of it's impact on business and profitability... they're ruining whole segments of the industry in certain parts of the country, and grubbing for money on the TV constantly showing sad pictures of starved and kicked dogs to get people to open their checkbooks... in a few years when they succeed in making agriculture SO expensive and litigious to comply that all but a handful of big multinational agribiz corporate farms can afford to farm anymore, people will be screaming bloody murder and wanting the farmer's heads on a plate because they can't get enough food in the stores and have to pay five prices for it when it IS there...

This country seems dedicated to legislated national suicide...

Later! OL JR
Old 06-12-2011, 05:06 PM
Master Modeler

So, I'm scratching my head trying to figure out the relationship between this post and the stupidity of opposing cost saving CFL's.

Bueller?

Bueller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
Oh, the fallacy of so much of this claptrap that's based on "junk science"... We should call this stuff "junk legislation" and "junk regulation".

I remember the big debate over the CAFE (car fuel economy) standards back when Clinton was president... The "do gooders" wanted to raise the CAFE standards to 50mpg, which would virtually eliminate anything over a half-ton pickup from the roads, (except for commercial trucks of course) and force everyone into mini-coopers and smart cars (which hadn't been invented yet LOL

Now, I'll be the first to rue the OBVIOUS FRIVILOUS WASTE of these city-slicker idiots running around in Hummers getting 8 mpg... ESPECIALLY when it's some STUPID FRUIT-CAKE WOMAN DRIVER who wants to survive the wreck she causes yakking on her cell phone instead of driving, no matter who else she kills in the process... (as reported in an issue of "Nat Geo" I read in the doctor's office a few years ago, where some stupid woman real-estate agent admitted that was her primary reason for driving a Hummer all day every day). We have the next worst thing here in Texas-- every idiot with two nickels to rub together buys the BIGGEST BADDEST DIESEL DUALLY ONE TON SUPER FOUR DOOR CREW CAB next of kin to a semi truck and then jacks it up with oversize mud tires and then turns their 16 year old daughters loose in them to terrorize the roads... I regularly get run off the road by some dingey brat girl who has NO FRIGGIN' CLUE how to drive one of these battleships, let alone while yakking on the phone, and constantly rides the line, putting her dual tire in MY LANE... Personally I'd LOVE to see these 'cowboy cadillacs' either outright outlawed or taxed to death-- after all, if you have $50,000 bucks to blow on a 1 ton diesel dually TOY and turn it over to a 16 year old, you can afford to pay $1,000 or $2,000 a year in road tax for the tags for it!!

Now I run a FARM and could actually USE such a beast, but I can't justify the costs to run one... I can get by with a 1/2 ton pickup, and so I do, and pocket the savings from the extra expenses a battleship 1 ton truck would incur...

BUT, when the discussion of the CAFE standards was hot and heavy, talk was that in a few years, most of the trucks that the companies would offer would be the size of say a Ford Ranger, or a Chevy S-10, or at most the slightly bigger Dodge Dakota... "experts" were singing how WONDERFUL this would be-- why it would GREATLY reduce fuel consumption and therefore pollution...

Didn't pass the smell test and still doesn't... here's why--

I "make do" with a half ton truck-- my biggest 'regular' hauling job is hauling hay 100 miles west to our other farm at Shiner-- we bale hay locally here for our cows on this farm, because (usually) we can grow much larger hay crops here than at Shiner due to the climate, and MUCH cheaper, even with hauling, than growing it there (and CERTAINLY cheaper than BUYING it there!). SO, I load three 1200-1500 pound round bales on a 16 foot flatbed trailer behind my half ton pickup once a week and haul it up there to feed cows. Add in the 1500 pounds of trailer and you've got a load of 6,000 lbs... pretty much all a half-ton pickup can reasonably handle on the hills up there. Now, my 02 Ford F-150 crew cab gets about 18 mpg-- and fairly close to that (maybe around 16) when pulling the loaded trailer. My old 96 F-150 I had at the time got about 16 unloaded and 14 loaded... not too bad to deliver 4500 pounds of cargo 100 miles and return home.

Now, if I could ONLY buy a 1/4 ton truck (Ford Ranger, etc) instead of the half-ton pickup, I'd STILL have to deliver the SAME LOAD to the other farm to feed cows-- only now I'm doing it with a smaller vehicle that can't handle that big a load. SO, I'll have to make TWO TRIPS to do the work I did on ONLY ONE TRIP before... The Ranger pickup will get better mileage, true, BUT, not DOUBLE the mileage! At best I could only expect about MAYBE 24 mpg or so out of a Ranger, and of course MUCH LESS loaded-- probably about 20-22 mpg AT MOST. BUT, now I have to make TWO TRIPS-- I'd have to buy a smaller 10 foot single-axle trailer (to minimize weight) and could only haul two bales at a time on it, and basically be OVERLOADING the truck on that trip anyway (since the trailer would weigh about 1000 lbs, plus the 3000 lbs of hay, for a total of 4,000 lbs.) I'd have to drive the 200 mile round trip, then load up and GO AGAIN to deliver the third bale... putting ANOTHER 200 mile round trip on the truck and trailer! Plus, say I'm getting 20 mpg instead of 16 in the half ton-- big woop, since now I'm having to travel DOUBLE THE MILES to make the second trip-- so in effect now I'm getting TEN MILES/GALLON doing the same work with a tiny truck that I was getting SIXTEEN MILES/GALLON in with the larger pickup and trailer and doing it all at once. I'm putting twice as many miles on the tiny truck, wearing it out faster, wearing out the tires twice as fast, travelling twice as far to do the same work, wearing out the roads faster, while cutting my productivity and free time IN HALF because now I'm making a DOUBLE TRIP, in addition to cutting my fuel efficiency by ONE THIRD (at least).

Talk about your false economy!!! I also realize that there are guys who are in the same boat, who would have to do DOUBLE TRIPS with a half-ton truck to do the work their doing now with a one-ton pickup, and despite the fact that I RUE the idea of these idiot kids being turned loose in one ton diesel duallys, and despise the waste of these idiots with more money than sense running around in them like a family sedan because they pull a ten foot long two-horse trailer or a jetski one weekend a month or so (at most) and think they "need" one or want some big cowboy cadillac, and while I might secretly wish they'd ban them, I DO realize that it would create the same dichotomy for someone who had a GENUINE NEED for a one-ton truck who'd have to double trip to do it with a half ton, same as I would with a smaller truck... and so I grouse a bit but realize that you have to take the good with the bad....

We need FAR less useless idiots telling everybody else what's best for them and MORE folks minding their own d@mn business... We farmers now have everybody from Greenpeace to the ASPCA telling us how we should raise crops and livestock-- ESPECIALLY SOB's like ASPCA! They keep dictating what farmers should and shouldn't be allowed to do, regardless of it's impact on business and profitability... they're ruining whole segments of the industry in certain parts of the country, and grubbing for money on the TV constantly showing sad pictures of starved and kicked dogs to get people to open their checkbooks... in a few years when they succeed in making agriculture SO expensive and litigious to comply that all but a handful of big multinational agribiz corporate farms can afford to farm anymore, people will be screaming bloody murder and wanting the farmer's heads on a plate because they can't get enough food in the stores and have to pay five prices for it when it IS there...

This country seems dedicated to legislated national suicide...

Later! OL JR

Old 06-12-2011, 05:24 PM
Member in Good Standing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Olivola
So, I'm scratching my head trying to figure out the relationship between this post and the stupidity of opposing cost saving CFL's.

Bueller?

Bueller?

Sorry, it's his day off.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:27 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

If it was up to me CAFE (as well as the CARB in commiefornia) would be completely abolished, and people/corporations would be allowed UNFETTERED and UNREGULATED drilling for oil on ANY land they owned, REGARDLESS of ANY planned development/community rules.
Gasoline would have quarterly ONLY adjusted price ceilings just like any other UTILITY, along with forced production capacities to keep prices LOW.
Petroleum speculation would be banned.

Anyone that is IDIOTIC enough to think supply and demand has anything to do with the actual price we pay for petroleum needs to go back and take a university level course on Macro and Micro Economics; carefully study and review the sections on goods with INelastic demand curves such as gasoline in industrialized nations. As gasoline has an inelastic demand curve (as do all other UTILITIES) the ONLY correct way to supply it is through tight regulation. That is the ONLY way to ensure Mr. Average Joe US Citizen is not consistently and perpetually ripped off by the never ending stream of excuses oil company J.D.Robbafellers.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !