Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2011, 12:20 PM
Craftsman

Default Out to Launch 1960's

I've been launching rockets since '62..First launch pad was a board with a straightened coat hanger. I always looked in awe at the launch equipment in the early catalogs, but bought engines instead. Over time I've tried to collect or replicate some of the early stuff. Here's my tribute to those days of gettin engines in tubes and hoping the trees didn't get the rockets....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  007.JPG
Views: 182
Size:  634.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  009.JPG
Views: 166
Size:  637.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  015.JPG
Views: 177
Size:  641.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  019.JPG
Views: 184
Size:  639.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  021.JPG
Views: 173
Size:  642.8 KB  
Old 08-21-2011, 12:31 PM
BP Mafia

I'm also one of the straightened coathanger guys, but I started fifteen years after you. These are look great, but still pretty minty. Have you flown anything off of these pads yet? I'd love to see some launch pics.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc - Starfighter Scorpion Centuri - Mini Dactyl Estes - F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc - Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark
Old 08-21-2011, 12:44 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I'm also one of the straightened coathanger guys, but I started fifteen years after you. These are look great, but still pretty minty. Have you flown anything off of these pads yet? I'd love to see some launch pics.

Thanks...... have not used them, may not. Right now just for display. The plastic Electro Launch seems to be getting a little brittle.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:31 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNGA
I've been launching rockets since '62..First launch pad was a board with a straightened coat hanger. I always looked in awe at the launch equipment in the early catalogs, but bought engines instead. Over time I've tried to collect or replicate some of the early stuff. Here's my tribute to those days of gettin engines in tubes and hoping the trees didn't get the rockets....

Awesome!

You have me by 6 years. My compliments on your ingenuity with the coat hangar. On my first attempt I didn't know about guidence, I just put a small 3 fnc on the driveway and pushed the button. I was amazed it even took off. It only got about 5 feet off the ground but went to the end of my block (50yards) then bounced off the road a few times, shreading as it went.

Thinking back, we had tons of wire coat hangers.

Randy
www.vernarockets.com
Old 08-21-2011, 02:22 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:

Very nice, and a greatthread topic! I'll post some pics of my old launchers later on. Is the wooden launcher beside the red Electro Launch he earlier version? Looks to be in really nice condition...

S.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:25 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:

... And I just noticed th 'Dirty Bird' - is it vintage w/rubber nose cone?

S.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:34 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:

My first launch pad in 1968 was a 1 ft long 2X4 with a 1/8" welding rod and a tin can lid as a blast deflector. My dad did a lot of electrical work and he had lamp cord, alligator clips, batter clips and a knife switch that he rigged into an ignition system. That way I saved money better spent on kits and engines.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:02 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
Very nice, and a greatthread topic! I'll post some pics of my old launchers later on. Is the wooden launcher beside the red Electro Launch he earlier version? Looks to be in really nice condition...

S.

No..it's not original, It's my attempt at cloning the wooden EL. This unit is functional (I used C batteries not the original D) but probably will not launch off it. Thanks.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:10 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
... And I just noticed th 'Dirty Bird' - is it vintage w/rubber nose cone?

S.

No, another clone from spare stuff. I am thinking the original nose cone would have been a MMI rubber/vinyl. I launched the "Dirty Bird" at last club launch..she did well.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:17 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Wooten
My first launch pad in 1968 was a 1 ft long 2X4 with a 1/8" welding rod and a tin can lid as a blast deflector. My dad did a lot of electrical work and he had lamp cord, alligator clips, batter clips and a knife switch that he rigged into an ignition system. That way I saved money better spent on kits and engines.
Sounds like my first pad.. Used my Dads 6 volt lantern battery to burn that nichrome squib.