Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2015, 02:15 AM
Do you own space? No - NAYSA does.

Default Fiero

Another venture into rocket recycling: starting with my poor Estes Mean Machine which was shoddily-built and landed in a tree on its first and only flight; subjected to a decade of poor storage ever since.

Since I have no desire to restore it: I've marked it for chopping into two BT lengths: 30", and 24". The former will become this rocket, which I sketched up last night in Photoshop (view in separate tab):

The fins and profile are being salvaged off a rocket I built for my Exploring Tech class in my junior year of HS back in 2007. Named "Firehawk"; it flew the highest since I was the only one with actual rocketry experience, but crashed spectacularly due to motor mount failure - they wouldn't let me use serious rocketry components beyond balsa wood, so it was cobbled together from a wrapping paper tube, plastic straw launch lug, cardstock for the motor mount, styrofoam for the nose cone (coated in glue to protect it from paint), rubber bands for a shock cord, and trash bag for a parachute. The tube was just a bit wider than BT-60, which this rocket will be based off, but will retain the original length.

To avoid confusion with my Estes Firehawk, I've opted to rename it after the obvious:

Last edited by jonrev : 09-16-2015 at 04:21 AM.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:25 AM

Mmmm acetone where've you been all my life? Less than an hour's time I had the lower 30" of the ex-Mean Machine cut, stripped, and sanded bare with time to clean up the donor fins off the old Firehawk.

I do believe I saw the NC-60 pack at my LHS the other week so I'll stop in and pick up the cone tomorrow. Otherwise since we're re-using the MM from the Mean Machine I think I can have this done and ready for filling tomorrow night.

Last edited by jonrev : 09-16-2015 at 04:58 AM.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:42 AM
Dazed and Confused

I liked the GT V6 version a lot better. But the regular 4cyl version was fun to put out after it caught on fire. Your rocket probably won't catch fire, though.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:38 AM

^Like its namesake, it probably won't catch fire at all if the owner isn't an idiot.

(PSA: fires only affected the 1984 model year - a combination of running low on oil from the factory, about 200 cars getting out with defective connecting rods, and overly-aggressive driving. All were recalled to have additional heat shields installed. Of 370k Fieros built, not even a full-percentage caught fire - they were, in fact, the safest car ever crash tested without airbags; only beat by the Volvo wagon which had them.)

My town's hobby shop (as usual) failed me with a nose cone and I've given up on them as they're really a bike shop with a barely-stocked spinning rack of 3/4fnc kits and engines, but I did get the body filled and fins on, tonight. Might cannibalize one of my mothballed Estes Patriots for a nose cone.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:37 AM
Dazed and Confused

All the defective ones must have been shipped to TN. I put out several myself, so one would figure the law of averages would indicate more than a fraction of a percent.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:17 PM

The number ranges from the 130s to 260 (the NHSTA recieved 135 reports, far as I can tell) - neither of which make a full-percent. Any of them catching fire, now, is due to age or accumulation of leaves and crap in the HVAC blower up front.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:36 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrev
The number ranges from the 130s to 260 (the NHSTA recieved 135 reports, far as I can tell) - neither of which make a full-percent. Any of them catching fire, now, is due to age or accumulation of leaves and crap in the HVAC blower up front.

I'm just talking about mid 80's and maybe into the very early 90's. I don't think I've seen one on the road around here since then. Considering there never were many around here, the percentage was pretty high, but as a whole, it's probably not much higher than most other cars within the first few years of service.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:42 AM

Still alot of them up here - we had almost 80 attend the local annual gathering last Sunday. This shot's from a couple years back, but had roughly the same turnout.

Went to a nearby Ace Hardware that strangely always had an amazing rocket selection - their parts selection has vanished since I last looked, but I still found a clearanced Stormcaster that takes care of my NC and LL deficiency. I can probably also use the motor mount in my queued Renegade clone, which will use what's left of the Mean Machine tube and NC.

On an unrelated note: that particular Ace is still just as dangerous to my wallet as I remember...
Old 09-18-2015, 03:05 PM
Craftsman

Nice work! On an unrelated note, do you still do the Halloween decorations per your photos from several years ago? Using The Beast coaster idea?
SAM #0354
Old 09-21-2015, 10:20 PM

^Yeah; based on the Demon, actually. Setup will be getting underway in a couple weeks.

Did more filling and priming last night, still needs another round of both, but today I put the laundry on and flight prepped it for testing tomorrow with a C11-3 and D12-5 if the former works OK. Tomorrow has ideal weather for the Astrocam so I'll take advantage of it.