Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Swap Shoppe > Wanted: Dead or Alive!
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2009, 06:18 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by zog139
Thanks for the link to your review. That was done well also. The main motor seems to be an issue for these? Of course the E9 would be out fo the question. E15 might me a nice choice, however lighting four A10's at the same time could be a trick not to mention a can of worms to boot !

Before the build, I did consider the E9's, but rejected it as the D12's have much greater thrust. The four A10-PT's, besides gaining "mission points" for the NAR contest, added additional thrust for liftoff without adding that much extra weight. As mentioned in my
EMRR review, it only took one additional ounce of clay noseweight to keep it stable.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:21 PM
Junior Rocketeer

As someone who worked in CG for quite some time, I now have such a huge appreciation for the original model builders, puppeteers, engineers and camera operators that made all of the ships and characters come to life.

I still think that the original trilogy and other big movies of that era under ILM/Stan Winston employed some of the finest work that's ever been translated to the big screen. Even with the limitations of the day, the ugliest puppet or model still looked 10x more believable than any cg counterpart. The ships also have almost a sort or organic , real-world broken-in quality that is incredibly difficult to reproduce in a digital, pixel-based environment.

Everything looked real, because, well.. essentially it was!! Maybe CG will someday have a renaissance, but in my opinion a lot of the people in the industry rely too heavily on using the latest programs and tools rather than drawing from the practical, real-world experience in traditional mediums that the old-school FX guys brought to the table.

Thanks to Royatl for confirming the part match, and especially Roger (jadebox) for offering to send me the required parts for... free! What a guy!

Thanks all,

Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket-Tech Al
I miss and yearn for the days when people actually built physical instead of digital models. At one of the shops i worked at in L.A. , one of the owners was given the original Nostromo from the movie "Alien". It was in pretty rough shape, having been stored in the previous owners driveway under a poly tarp for about 20 years, but it was still a thing of wonder to look at. It was basically a big 2x4 and plywood base completely sheathed with sheet styrene, then detailed with literally thousands of Plastruct and model kit parts. You could easily identify engine parts from model cars, bits from Space:1999 Eagles, chunks from model tanks, even warmed and bent sprues from model kits. I think that Greg is planning on restoring the ship as best he can, but he has a load of other projects on his hands, so I'm not sure he will ever get to this....

Alan
Old 01-10-2009, 06:22 PM
Craftsman

Default Maxi Brute X Wing

I have a junk X Wing in my basement
PM me, I gotta clean house.
Mark T
Old 01-12-2009, 09:44 PM
Roger Smith/JonRocket.com

Digressing a little ....

At the Sci-Fi convention my wife and I attend once or twice a year, there are usually displays of movie models and props - a few that were actually used for filming but most are replicas like you're building. The most impressive I've seen was a Battlestar Galactica (from the new series) that was about 10- or 12-foot long and very detailed.

When I was young, I saw some original models from the original Star Trek series on display at a museum or science center. I think it was when my family visited Pittsburg so it may have been at the palentarium. This wasn't that long after the series when off the air - about the time it was becoming popular in syndication. 'Course, since then I've seen the Enterprise at the Smithsonian.

Speaking of the Smithsonian ... A member of the Mustang car club we belong to was a model maker for Lockheed Martin for many years. He worked on the Manned Maneuvering Unit model that is at the Smithsonian. He also worked on models of many space probes. The photo album he showed me was very impressive.

-- Roger