Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2011, 06:01 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cheapo
I use a Dremel with circle cutter attachment for all the centering rings and baffle plates I have cut recently. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find the circle cutter locally and have to order a new one for myself and the shop online. It works like a champ and is easy to use.

What size body tube did you make them for?Right now I'm working on a BTH70 ,and my next rocket is the same size with a 29mm motor mount.The cutting tool is under $10 for the Dermel that includes free shipping.I think I seen it on their website.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:06 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgegassaway
Here's a link to my website, showing the Arc-Scribing method I use for making custom centering rings:

http://homepage.mac.com/georgegassa...Rings/Rings.htm

- George Gassaway

Thanks for the website,I'll look into this.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:08 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by qquake
Yeah, it held up fine in my garage. But we don't get a lot of humidity here. I used it a lot at the time for drilling pen blanks, one of my other hobbies. The only problem I remember having with it was the chuck would come out sometimes. But after I cleaned the internal and external tapers, and tapped it in with a hammer, I didn't have any more problems.

I saw the Ryobi and really liked that one.$119 at Home depot.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:26 PM
Craftsman

I got a great Father's gift one day early,a 10" Skil drill press from my daughter.Ordered a circle wheel cutter made by Pro Tool from Amazon.Now I will get a jig saw to cut fins and I should be set.Happy Father's day to all dads on Ye Olde Rocket Forum.cjp.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:23 PM
Got it bad BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cheapo
I use a Dremel with circle cutter attachment for all the centering rings and baffle plates I have cut recently. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find the circle cutter locally and have to order a new one for myself and the shop online. It works like a champ and is easy to use.

The Dremel circle cutter works just fine. Just don't make a full cut completely through the material all at once. Cut halfway through and then flip the piece over and make the finish cut. Once the ring is free, make a smoothing finish cut all the way around the outside again. Use sandpaper or a Dremel sanding drum to finish the inside cut.
Also, you can save a bit of cash by using the RotoZip bits instead of the Dremel ones. I think they cut better as well.

NAR 85416 L3 as of 4/2010

"There is never enough rope to do the job but it is always long enough to hang yourself up with problems"