Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2016, 09:37 AM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Default The Final Jeopardy "answer" from Tuesday Jan. 26

I watch Jeopardy every night and last Tuesday the final Jeopardy question really pi$$ed me off.

Well, not the "answer" but the contestants response.

This one was an honest to gosh NO BRAINER!

The 1970 follow-up line “We’ve had a main B bus undervolt” was addressed to a listener in this city.

The response from the contestants were just plain dumb.

Answer 1 was "?" Answer 2 was "Philadelphia", Answer 3 was "Los Angeles. "

My guess is that everyone on this forum should easily get this one.

I wanted to throw something at the TV...

No! it's not Philadelphia.

OH...and look here and see how much these "DOLTS" lost.

http://fikklefame.com/final-jeopardy-1-26-16/

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 01-29-2016, 10:34 AM
Old Submariner

I got the answer (question) immediately. I'm still waiting for my prize.

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 01-29-2016, 10:58 AM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
I got the answer (question) immediately. I'm still waiting for my prize.

I'm going to assume everybody here knows the correct response.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 01-29-2016, 12:07 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Anyone that was alive within 10 years of that date that got the answer incorrect is a brain-dead IMBECILE not deserving to be in the audience, let alone the show.
Friggin' Morons.
There should be some sort of bytch-schlapp penalty on that show.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 01-29-2016, 12:23 PM
Dazed and Confused

They wouldn't get it if they used the Apollo 11 quotes dealing with the 1201 and 1202 alarms either. Those particular parts of the two missions aren't what average intelligent people remember even if they were around and old enough. We are different because we are passionate about rocketry, the space program, etc.

Most people over 50 will get the answer using, "_______, we've had a problem." (or the movie version, "_______,we have a problem")
For Apollo 11, they will remember the remarks after Neil's first step, not from the descent.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:03 PM
Craftsman

Forum I think we have a problem
Old 01-29-2016, 11:12 PM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
They wouldn't get it if they used the Apollo 11 quotes dealing with the 1201 and 1202 alarms either. Those particular parts of the two missions aren't what average intelligent people remember even if they were around and old enough. We are different because we are passionate about rocketry, the space program, etc.

Most people over 50 will get the answer using, "_______, we've had a problem." (or the movie version, "_______,we have a problem")
For Apollo 11, they will remember the remarks after Neil's first step, not from the descent.

Yeah, I agree. What made the news for Apollo-13 was the "Houston, we have a problem".

The rest is more like what entire sentence follows "Alas poor Yorick!".

Or, what words preceded "and all the passengers screaming around here!" during what tragedy?

For the Challenger accident, do you really think the general public would know what words were said onboard Challenger just before the fireball?

Yeah, I know, no way to prove if anyone who answers the above knew it or googled it.

Bottom line, the Final Jeopardy questions are HARD to know the answers to. That's the whole point. I wonder if fans of Shakespeare would get upset if contestants on Jeopardy could not recite the whole sentence after "Alas poor Yorick", as though everybody ought to know it.

- George Gassaway
Georges'CancerGoFundMe:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-geo...ay-fight-cancer
Old 01-30-2016, 09:50 AM
Roger Smith/JonRocket.com

They weren't asking the contestants to provide or know the next line. They provided the line along with other clues (the year and that the answer is a city). So, the contestant didn't really didn't have to know the quoted line to get the answer ... err .. question.

Just being familiar with the "Houston, we've had a problem" quote (or the movie version of it) and an idea when Apollo 13 happened should have been enough for one of the contestants to get it right.

That's part of what makes Jeopardy a great game show. They usually provide multiple clues in the category title and the "answer" so that there are several different paths to determining the correct response.

Also, contestants on the show are required to buzz in after the question is read and be the first to buzz in in order to provide a response. Players at home don't have to wait. So, it gives the viewer more of a chance to play along and a feeling of doing better than the contestants.

-- Roger

Last edited by jadebox : 01-30-2016 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:16 AM
Roger Smith/JonRocket.com

A year or two ago, a contestant was told that "What is Cape Canaveral?" was the wrong response to "Piggybacking on a 747, Space Shuttle Endeavour says goodbye to this, its old launch facility."

Which is okay because shuttles launched from Kennedy Space Center on Merritt Island, not Cape Canaveral. So, Alex was correct.

But, it bothered me because I remembered that on an earlier broadcast, they had used the following clue:

"Although space shuttles are launched from Cape Canaveral, Mission Control is located in this city."

:-)

Edit: And, using Google, I found a few more:

"Abbreviated the VAB, this Cape Canaveral structure is where the space shuttle & rocket are put together"

"America's last lunar landing mission, this one, blasts off from Cape Canaveral"

"This exploded about 70 seconds after lift-off from Cape Canaveral Jan. 28, 1986"

-- Roger
Old 01-31-2016, 08:51 PM
BAR

Read somewhere that before going on the show, they're given about a bazillion answers and the correct questions that will be possibly used on the show to study... so it basically comes down to the contestants capability in rote memorization...

Don't particularly care for game shows, although there are some funny youtubes of bad answers given on Family Feud...

Later! OL J R