Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Semroc > SVDT - Semroc Virtual Design Team
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2007, 11:47 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Send a message via AIM to CQBArms Send a message via MSN to CQBArms Send a message via Yahoo to CQBArms
Default Question about fin tabs on SLS kits

I notice that the fin tabs and the body tubes are sort of "keyed". The tabs are two different lengths and they fit in the slots in the body tube only one way.

Just curious but are there plans to make them not "keyed" and have standard tabs of equal size and slots in the body tube that match?

From a mfg perspective, it would seem easier to do. It would also allow for a different positioning of the fins...which adds to some fun and customization with very little work.

I'm in the process of doing a SLS scorpion that way (reversing the fins)and it sims out right, and looks sort of cool.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:17 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Many of the SLS kits, like the Scorpion, have identical size slots. A few started that way, then the top slot was shortened because the fin was shorter. Later, with twistable engine mounts, the slot lengths were determined by internal geometry.

Originally, we tried the slots without the central "key", but the tubes flared out. The central key or bridge keeps the slots at a more uniform width over time.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 01-15-2007, 02:01 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Send a message via AIM to CQBArms Send a message via MSN to CQBArms Send a message via Yahoo to CQBArms

I'm not sure if we are talking about two different things or not.
My scorpions all have a short top slot and a long bottom slot (granted I have only 4 of them) and they are new.

Certainly I can see the need for the bridge, or some maybe different geometry for the locking motor mounts as in the Explorer or like models but when the fin glues flush into the slot, can't both sots and tabs be the same length?
Example: Skyhook
Has a forward notch of 1 inch (let's say) and a rear notch of 2 15/16ths inches.
Maybe have two notches that the same v. two different lengths.

So between different models, yeah the length of the fin tabs and slots would have to be different...but in the same model the tab lengths would be the same length along the root of the fin.

Presently I'm cutting a scorpion and Skyhook so the fins can be reversed, and shaped to be stable...it looks sort of cool so far. Equal length tabs would make it easier.

Thanks.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:12 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Part of that is saving time on our part. It is easier to take an existing template and shorten one end, rather than shortening both equally. I realy need to spend the extra time in the future.

The seconday reason was so certain fins could not be installed easily upside down. The Sky Hook is an example. If they are tured around, it is unstable. The slots on the LT-175 based kits are set by the mount.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 01-15-2007, 02:15 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Fair enough, thansk for the information.