Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > WOOSH - Wisconsin Organization of Spacemodeling Hobbyists > WOOSH News
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-27-2012, 03:31 PM
chadrog's Avatar
chadrog chadrog is offline
Out to launch...
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Milwaukee WI
Posts: 1,488
Default Time to mow the Bong!

It has just been reported that an infestation of the Emerald Ash Borer has been discovered at Bong State Rec. Area, not that it wasn't immanent. Time to cut it all down I guess. I'll graciously help.
__________________
www.wooshrocketry.org NAR Sec. 558
Look us up on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/guytogo75?feature=mhee
unstable by design
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-27-2012, 04:02 PM
Jerry Irvine's Avatar
Jerry Irvine Jerry Irvine is offline
Freeform rocketry advocate.
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ
Posts: 3,451
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadrog
It has just been reported that an infestation of the Emerald Ash Borer has been discovered at Bong State Rec. Area, not that it wasn't immanent. Time to cut it all down I guess. I'll graciously help.
We had to mow a fairly large site recently, but not because of an infestation. Just normal seasonal growth. I never thought rocket scientists had to be farmers and landscapers! Just construction and concrete guys.

Jerry
__________________
Exemptions not regulations. Please support DOT treating slow burning solids as not subject to HMR. 2015 NAR President declines!
U.S. Rockets instaship. http://bit.ly/1aca7mA Please buy some rockets.
The O administration believed in tax, spend, borrow, fine, mandate, monologue. D voters will soon be very happy with the election outcome!
Model rocketry is as safe as safe can be defined in human existence. Bow and pray: GH Stine, Orville, Vern, Lee, Lonnie, Carl, etc. No, really.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-01-2012, 04:05 PM
jd2cylman jd2cylman is offline
Intermediate Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Malta, IL
Posts: 29
Default

I'm in. As a son of a farmer, every time I go there and see all the noxious weeds, it makes me cringe. Of course the "official reasoning" for letting everything go there is "native prairie".
But when the weeds choke out all of the native plants, that reasoning should be given another hard look. I wonder if the Wisconsin Dept of Ag could be of any help. Or maybe Farm Bureau?
I'd love to bring my dad's tractor and 15' batwing mower up there and mow us an area.

Adrian
__________________
Adrian Butler
NAR 73787 L2 (L3 pending)
Tripoli 13524 L3
jd2cylman@mchsidotcom
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-01-2012, 05:09 PM
chadrog's Avatar
chadrog chadrog is offline
Out to launch...
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Milwaukee WI
Posts: 1,488
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2cylman
I'm in. As a son of a farmer, every time I go there and see all the noxious weeds, it makes me cringe. Of course the "official reasoning" for letting everything go there is "native prairie".
But when the weeds choke out all of the native plants, that reasoning should be given another hard look. I wonder if the Wisconsin Dept of Ag could be of any help. Or maybe Farm Bureau?
I'd love to bring my dad's tractor and 15' batwing mower up there and mow us an area.

Adrian

I think the excuse of "native prairie" can also be interpreted as "how the dog people want things", wouldn't it be great if we could get rid of both? Dreams... From what I've heard, attendance has been down this year for the dog people - hopefully that trend continues.
__________________
www.wooshrocketry.org NAR Sec. 558
Look us up on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/guytogo75?feature=mhee
unstable by design
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-01-2012, 05:24 PM
Rex R Rex R is offline
Craftsman
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 473
Default

I've heard that the actual prairies normally had grass fires....
rex
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-01-2012, 05:30 PM
chadrog's Avatar
chadrog chadrog is offline
Out to launch...
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Milwaukee WI
Posts: 1,488
Default

They did burn some areas last year, not nearly enough in my opinion.
__________________
www.wooshrocketry.org NAR Sec. 558
Look us up on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/guytogo75?feature=mhee
unstable by design
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-04-2012, 08:20 AM
jd2cylman jd2cylman is offline
Intermediate Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Malta, IL
Posts: 29
Default East on runway?

Has the launch area officially been moved yet? When I saw Tim at a QCRS launch, he mentioned something about the dog people getting the rocket launch area moved further east on the runway. Has this happened yet? Tim didn't know details. Anyone dishing 'em out?

Adrian

Who will still bring the 15' batwing mower in a heartbeat!
__________________
Adrian Butler
NAR 73787 L2 (L3 pending)
Tripoli 13524 L3
jd2cylman@mchsidotcom
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-04-2012, 08:28 AM
chadrog's Avatar
chadrog chadrog is offline
Out to launch...
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Milwaukee WI
Posts: 1,488
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2cylman
Has the launch area officially been moved yet? When I saw Tim at a QCRS launch, he mentioned something about the dog people getting the rocket launch area moved further east on the runway. Has this happened yet? Tim didn't know details. Anyone dishing 'em out?

Adrian

Who will still bring the 15' batwing mower in a heartbeat!


Everything will remain the same for this year, and likely remain the same for the future. The park officials are pulling for us (rocketry groups).
__________________
www.wooshrocketry.org NAR Sec. 558
Look us up on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/guytogo75?feature=mhee
unstable by design
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-04-2012, 11:08 PM
jd2cylman jd2cylman is offline
Intermediate Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Malta, IL
Posts: 29
Default

Good to know.

Adrian
__________________
Adrian Butler
NAR 73787 L2 (L3 pending)
Tripoli 13524 L3
jd2cylman@mchsidotcom
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:19 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe 1998-2018