Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2012, 01:27 PM
Gentleman Rocketeer

Default Estes Pro Series II kits

the estes website is showing the Levithan and the Ventris in stock
Old 03-19-2012, 12:30 AM
Junior Rocketeer

they show them all inm stock. motors too. high prices tho
Old 03-19-2012, 12:45 AM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Here's my thread about the Pro Series II Ventris kit I am now building:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=10867
Old 03-23-2012, 03:43 PM
Craftsman

Send a message via ICQ to Swillie

Hobbylinc has the Leviathan Pro Series II kit in stock now. Nice price...I had been planning to buy that one once it released, but now after hearing that these new kits don't come with a decal sheet to finish them I am re-considering. There is a graphic PDF file on estes website for the fin decals so I could maybe print them, but not for the body wraps.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:31 PM
Master Modeler

I used green and black vinyl sheets for the Leviathan deco. It’s such a simple deco it shouldn’t be that hard to do. The Partizon and Argent where all paint except for the 1/8” wide pin strips on the Partizon which can be found in Hobby, Automotive and Craft Stores. The only one of these models that would be a super pain to do, would be the checker board on the Ventris. For this I printed out a decal. I’m sure one of the after market decal vendors can supply this for you.

I’m just curious does anyone on this forum purchase F&G powered LOC kits since I don’t believe any of them come with stickers either. They do however have them for sale on their site.

http://shop.locprecision.com/category.sc?categoryId=34

John Boren
Old 03-24-2012, 01:10 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

U.S. Rockets kits all come with peel and stick decals. It is a feature that was most requested at the time. Not everyone uses them but some customers consider it a minimum requirement. I think Estes set that bar.

Do the Pro Series II kit instructions discuss the vinyl and pinstriping methods and suppliers? They don't include sealer and paint either, but discuss that.

Jerry
Old 03-24-2012, 01:49 PM
Master Modeler

Sorry Jerry, but I’m not trying to be picky or anything but apart from one sticker in one kit that says US Rockets on it I don’t see any multicolored stickers for kits under the heading Larger US Rocket Kits. In fact I don’t even see any recommended color schemes for any of the kits in the images or packaging except for the Sonic 3100 which several different color schemes are shown.

The point I am trying to make here is that not ALL F & G powered kits on the market come with multi color stickers or decals. If we would have included them in the two Pro Series kits that could have benefited from them, the price would have gone up which is always a bad thing.

John Boren
Old 03-24-2012, 03:26 PM
Craftsman

Send a message via ICQ to Swillie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJet
I used green and black vinyl sheets for the Leviathan deco. It’s such a simple deco it shouldn’t be that hard to do.

John Boren

Well I meant not to offend, fact is I just really like the scheme you did with that rocket. The thing is I was planning on gifting this kit to my brother. He has built a couple estes kits and I thought I would surprise him with a mid power kit to build. It would be easier for him to finish with a decal sheet. I have found it is very rewarding when you make the graphics from scratch. I am fighting the urge to get this kit for myself anyway. I havent worked much with vinyl, maybe that would be the way to go. Is the vinyl something I need to look online for, or from a local hobby or craft store? I did buy a sheet of chrome vinyl on ebay for my Wasp upscale which worked out very well.

Steve
Old 03-24-2012, 03:33 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJet
Sorry Jerry, but I’m not trying to be picky or anything but apart from one sticker in one kit that says US Rockets on it I don’t see any multicolored stickers for kits under the heading Larger US Rocket Kits. In fact I don’t even see any recommended color schemes for any of the kits in the images or packaging except for the Sonic 3100 which several different color schemes are shown.

The point I am trying to make here is that not ALL F & G powered kits on the market come with multi color stickers or decals. If we would have included them in the two Pro Series kits that could have benefited from them, the price would have gone up which is always a bad thing.

John Boren
I agree. I have found over the years there is a certain affinity to "stock color images" which I believe is a key aspect of Estes sales and product loyalty. For some reason it is "a big deal" when Estes changes the paint scheme on the Big Bertha, for example.

Our decal effort is more along the lines of "check the box" and do so with a company logo and product name. We do not have any themed decals. In fact our general theme of product might even be described as "generic in appearance", active in function.

I am hoping whatever insight and feedback I do give you is somehow helpful and received in the spirit intended, supportive.

Our product presentation is a whole bunch less sophisticated and perfected than yours, for simple reasons like labor and capital issues. When I comment on Estes product, such as the decal or finishing issue, it is intended as helpful comments. A Version 2 instruction sheet for the PSII kit lines could essentially for free, add discussion of decorating ideas without including one more thing in the package.

I was personally wondering if you would ever do a web page for a particular product like we do, where one might get a chance to see 40 or so styles of Big Bertha paint patterns and decoration schemes.

Jerry
Old 03-24-2012, 11:00 PM
Master Modeler

Steve,

Monokote trim sheets would work perfect for this. Basically anything that has the colors you like and has a sticky back will work just fine.

Boren.