Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Rocket Boosted Gliders
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-27-2015, 03:08 AM
blackshire's Avatar
blackshire blackshire is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Posts: 5,299
Default New foam Shuttle B/G!

Hello All,

Many of you remember the Estes foam Space Shuttle boost-glider (not always with affection, although mine always flew perfectly; monoceran luck, I guess :-) ). Guillow's makes a catapult-launched foam Space Shuttle glider that isn't much smaller (it has a 10" wing span, see: http://www.rudystoys.com/Products/S...r__03-2650.aspx ) than the Estes one. Instead of boring or melting a hole for the rear-ejection motor pod into this glider, the motor pod could be mounted to the underside of the glider, with a ventral fin on it to "balance" the glider's vertical stabilizer during ascent. (This would enable the booster pod to use "maple seed" recovery.) Also:

A dowel-and-balsa-strip hook on the glider could be used, which would engage a length of launch lug on the booster pod (or vice-versa). To avoid melting or marring the underside of the glider, the ejection charge orifice at the front end of the booster pod could either be angled slightly away from the glider's underside, or it could issue from an off-center hole in a forward closure disc (on the side of the disc that is farthest from the glider's underside).

I hope this information will be helpful.
__________________
Black Shire--Draft horse in human form, model rocketeer, occasional mystic, and writer, see:
http://www.lulu.com/content/paperba...an-form/8075185
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6122050
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-27-2015, 08:33 AM
Ironnerd's Avatar
Ironnerd Ironnerd is offline
Bona-Fide Space Hero
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: ATL
Posts: 718
Default

One of the guys in our Section flew something very similar with the entire shuttle stack. The glider flew parasite style, and glided back pretty nicely - it was a hair out of trim in pitch, but it still looked cool.

One thing about those foam glider shuttles is that the wings are HUGE.

Thanks for the post. I may have to get one.
__________________
John Adams
"There is a lot of rocketry under 20ns"
NAR: 89814
SoAR: 300
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-27-2015, 09:23 AM
blackshire's Avatar
blackshire blackshire is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Posts: 5,299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironnerd
One of the guys in our Section flew something very similar with the entire shuttle stack. The glider flew parasite style, and glided back pretty nicely - it was a hair out of trim in pitch, but it still looked cool.

One thing about those foam glider shuttles is that the wings are HUGE.

Thanks for the post. I may have to get one.
You're welcome--I just happened to find it while looking at their selection of boomerangs. I don't mind somewhat "exaggerated" (for better glide performance) wings on such gliders. Using one of M. Dean Black's finless rocket stabilization methods (particularly the second one *here*--see "Finless Rockets Using Engine-Driven Gas-Dynamic Stabilization" by M. Dean Black [Apogee Components Peak of Flight newsletter, Issue #379, December 2, 2014: http://www.apogeerockets.com/educat...wsletter379.pdf ]), a full-stack Shuttle model using the foam glider could fly stably with *no* clear plastic fins (or fins of any kind) at all!
__________________
Black Shire--Draft horse in human form, model rocketeer, occasional mystic, and writer, see:
http://www.lulu.com/content/paperba...an-form/8075185
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6122050
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-27-2015, 10:57 AM
MarkB.'s Avatar
MarkB. MarkB. is offline
Drinks Dos XX w/ a squeeze of lime
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: El Paso
Posts: 797
Default

Cool.

I have two of those Guillow's shuttles. They actually fly pretty well. I was thinking full stack but I hadn't sat down and put pencil to paper to compute the scale diameters.

If anybody's done this I'd love to see a picture or two.
__________________
Identifying a problem without proposing a solution is just whining.

NAR 79743
NARTrek Bronze
SAM 062

Awaiting First Launch: Excelsior/Semroc Scrambler; K-41 Mercury-Redstone
Finishing: mini V-2 ; Rescue K-41 Mercury-Redstone
Repair/Rebuild: science fair rocket; Rescue Sandhawk
On the Bench: LTV Scout F; Sputnik; Voskhod; V-2; Blossom V-2
Dream Stage: Big R-7
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-27-2015, 11:09 AM
blackshire's Avatar
blackshire blackshire is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Posts: 5,299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB.
Cool.

I have two of those Guillow's shuttles. They actually fly pretty well. I was thinking full stack but I hadn't sat down and put pencil to paper to compute the scale diameters.

If anybody's done this I'd love to see a picture or two.
How long are they? (I was going to figure that out using the 10" wing span and the actual orbiter's length and wing span to "scale it out," until Ironnerd posted that the glider's wings are larger than the scale size.) Another possibility (although not scale) would be to stack two of the gliders on either side of a finless, parachute- or streamer-recovered core, in the manner of the Estes DOM "Space Twins" and the Cox "Space Shuttle America" boost-gliders.
__________________
Black Shire--Draft horse in human form, model rocketeer, occasional mystic, and writer, see:
http://www.lulu.com/content/paperba...an-form/8075185
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6122050
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-27-2015, 12:26 PM
AstronMike AstronMike is offline
Craftsman
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lakeland, FL
Posts: 197
Default Parasiting Gliders

I've always found it easier to just use two gliders with a single central, usually finless, carrier tube. This also allows you to add length as needed, so you end up using less nose weight if needed. That 1467 internal pod orbiter sucked even when it flew 'right', as it weighed around 8z, most of this being the pod needed ballast weights. All that, on even a C5-3 was pretty dismal by my standards.

I've tossed around the idea of making a rather large full stack, but the diameter of the ET gets pretty out of sorts considering the size of the orbiters I'm considering. IIRC, that UHS shuttle project back twenty years ago in Sprocketry did not need fins at all due to its size, which was 1/40 scale.

Of course, it would be lots easier to just do two orbiters of good size and place them on like a 3" or 4" tube setup, but that would be cheesy, as orbiters rightfully 'belong' on a stack.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-27-2015, 12:43 PM
blackshire's Avatar
blackshire blackshire is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Posts: 5,299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstronMike
I've always found it easier to just use two gliders with a single central, usually finless, carrier tube. This also allows you to add length as needed, so you end up using less nose weight if needed. That 1467 internal pod orbiter sucked even when it flew 'right', as it weighed around 8z, most of this being the pod needed ballast weights. All that, on even a C5-3 was pretty dismal by my standards.

I've tossed around the idea of making a rather large full stack, but the diameter of the ET gets pretty out of sorts considering the size of the orbiters I'm considering. IIRC, that UHS shuttle project back twenty years ago in Sprocketry did not need fins at all due to its size, which was 1/40 scale.

Of course, it would be lots easier to just do two orbiters of good size and place them on like a 3" or 4" tube setup, but that would be cheesy, as orbiters rightfully 'belong' on a stack.
The trim of my 1467 foam Shuttle was excellent, but its flights were rather low and too-brief. I never tried it on an 18 mm Aerotech D10 or D21 motor, but one or both of those motors would likely have turned in satisfying flights.
__________________
Black Shire--Draft horse in human form, model rocketeer, occasional mystic, and writer, see:
http://www.lulu.com/content/paperba...an-form/8075185
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6122050
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-15-2015, 02:40 PM
tab28682 tab28682 is offline
Intermediate Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 53
Default

I have been flying a Guillow's Shuttle converted to RC for a number of years. First as an electric prop pusher model and for the last year as a parasite RC glider on a non scale booster.

There is a series of flight photos in the last post of the linked thread over at the "other" forum:

http://www.rocketryforum.com/showth...m-Space-Shuttle
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-08-2016, 02:49 AM
blackshire's Avatar
blackshire blackshire is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Posts: 5,299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tab28682
I have been flying a Guillow's Shuttle converted to RC for a number of years. First as an electric prop pusher model and for the last year as a parasite RC glider on a non scale booster.

There is a series of flight photos in the last post of the linked thread over at the "other" forum:

http://www.rocketryforum.com/showth...m-Space-Shuttle
Thank you for posting those! (I apologize for not responding sooner--sometimes I don't get a "notice e-mail" that new replies have been posted to a thread.) With a couple of Rapier jet motors, you could make an R/C "Aero-Buran" model using one of the Guillow (formerly North Pacific) foam Space Shuttle gliders.
__________________
Black Shire--Draft horse in human form, model rocketeer, occasional mystic, and writer, see:
http://www.lulu.com/content/paperba...an-form/8075185
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6122050
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:13 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe 1998-2017