Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2012, 08:33 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default Centuri magnum D Tomahawk kit 5352

I was paging through the 1981 Centuri catalog and was interested in kit number 5352 Magnum D Tomahawk does anyone know if this kit was ever released ? Anyone have one? The BT is listed at 2.2 inches BT-70? THANKS Bob
Old 04-20-2012, 09:59 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

I just found this.

But it's kit number 5342.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Centuri-MAG...2#ht_585wt_1185

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 04-20-2012, 10:23 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Old 04-20-2012, 11:02 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by duobob
I was paging through the 1981 Centuri catalog and was interested in kit number 5352 Magnum D Tomahawk does anyone know if this kit was ever released ? Anyone have one? The BT is listed at 2.2 inches BT-70? THANKS Bob

The kit was never released.

The prototype/catalog model was built by Bill Stine.

Damon closed down Centuri before the Magnum D Tomahawk kit entered production.

From what I recall, Stine gave the prototype model to a neighbor kid who thrashed it.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:02 AM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
The kit was never released.

The prototype/catalog model was built by Bill Stine.

Damon closed down Centuri before the Magnum D Tomahawk kit entered production.

From what I recall, Stine gave the prototype model to a neighbor kid who thrashed it.

That would probably explain why I never saw one of them either.

Geez, that kit was introduced in the '81 catalog and was never put into production by '83? (that was the last year Centuri was officially around....at least they put out their last catalog that year). I guess Bill woulda been kinda bummed that they never released the kit, but he probably had bigger worries about Centuri at the time (I see he was listed as the manager of "Mail Order Programs" in the '81 catalog) as to whether they would continue to even be in business at the point (and as you noted, they finally did close down completely by '83).

Does anyone know what kind of staff Centuri had in Phoenix around the '81 - '83 timeframe? I think my last order to them in the late '82 or '83 time was shipped out of Penrose and I received a postcard back from Penrose in response to a letter I sent to Centuri in Phoenix inquiring about the fate of the Saturn 1b kit (the hand-written postcard said the kit had been discontinued).

I just wonder how much of a physical presence there was in Phoenix towards the end.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 04-21-2012, 09:17 AM
Master Modeler

Looking at the Space Master one sees the source of the fins for the Satellite Interceptor. Emminently clonable. It may be just add the Argosy/Fireflash NC to the Satellite Interceptor kit and seek decal help.
"The complexity of living is eminently favored to the simplicity of not."
Old 04-21-2012, 10:15 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharding58
Looking at the Space Master one sees the source of the fins for the Satellite Interceptor. Emminently clonable. It may be just add the Argosy/Fireflash NC to the Satellite Interceptor kit and seek decal help.

Gordon makes the decal. Really quite garish all done up in the chosen paint and decal scheme, but you can almost guarantee that you'll never see another one at the same launch. The Satellite Interceptor is a far better looking bird, but I like the ****pit cone on the Spacemaster. I built one back in 2001. Flew it a couple of times, but never followed through on the paint and decals. I want to say that I used a cone from an Estes Argosy that I found languishing on a shelf, but I can't swear to it.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc - Starfighter Scorpion Centuri - Mini Dactyl Estes - F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc - Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark
Old 04-21-2012, 10:21 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

I could give you a good price on a somewhat smaller version ...............
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  100_9484.JPG
Views: 94
Size:  472.4 KB  
Old 04-21-2012, 10:32 AM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Gordon makes the decal. Really quite garish all done up in the chosen paint and decal scheme, but you can almost guarantee that you'll never see another one at the same launch. The Satellite Interceptor is a far better looking bird, but I like the ****pit cone on the Spacemaster. I built one back in 2001. Flew it a couple of times, but never followed through on the paint and decals. I want to say that I used a cone from an Estes Argosy that I found languishing on a shelf, but I can't swear to it.

I have one of those!

The gold paint was a mistake.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  spacemaster.JPG
Views: 76
Size:  47.7 KB  

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 04-24-2012, 10:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
That would probably explain why I never saw one of them either.

Geez, that kit was introduced in the '81 catalog and was never put into production by '83? (that was the last year Centuri was officially around....at least they put out their last catalog that year). I guess Bill woulda been kinda bummed that they never released the kit, but he probably had bigger worries about Centuri at the time (I see he was listed as the manager of "Mail Order Programs" in the '81 catalog) as to whether they would continue to even be in business at the point (and as you noted, they finally did close down completely by '83).

Does anyone know what kind of staff Centuri had in Phoenix around the '81 - '83 timeframe? I think my last order to them in the late '82 or '83 time was shipped out of Penrose and I received a postcard back from Penrose in response to a letter I sent to Centuri in Phoenix inquiring about the fate of the Saturn 1b kit (the hand-written postcard said the kit had been discontinued).

I just wonder how much of a physical presence there was in Phoenix towards the end.

Earl

Just have Gordy make you a nose cone for the TCM

We really need a museum of model and amateur rocketry ... so many things just get thrown away in the end.

We may understand the importance or value of an amateur/model rocketry related item, but do our wives, sons, daughters, aunts, brother, sisters? I doubt it. From what I have been able to find at public auctions, estate auctions, garage sales and abandoned houses, the answer here is nope

Jonathan