Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2009, 11:41 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default trying to mask flame pattern on body tube help!!!

i'm trying to achieve a cool flame pattern on my rocket. What I did was purchase some Frisket film, sketch the flames and then cut the flame pattern out carefully with an exacto knife. Not an easy task. Can anyone offer some good advice when trying to mask flames onto a BT

My Collection:
Estes Executioner
Estes Big Daddy
Estes D-Region Tomahawk
Estes Big Bertha
Mad Cow Striker (29mm)
Next build Talon 3 (38mm)
Old 10-24-2009, 12:48 PM
U.S. Manned Space Program Buff

A quote from Ed Miller's article "MARBLIZER PAINT — PART 2" in Sport Rocketry, 2006-09:

Welcome back. In part 1 of this article, which appeared in the July/August issue, I showed you how I applied the basecoats, marblizer, and candy coats to the Public Enemy Rockets Fat Boy model. This time we will apply the pearl flames and clear coat to the rocket. There are many styles of flames to choose from. If you need ideas, refer to a book called “How to Paint Flames” by Bruce Caldwell, available from MotorBooks (www.motorbooks.com ).
Old 10-24-2009, 01:43 PM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregGleason
A quote from Ed Miller's article "MARBLIZER PAINT — PART 2" in Sport Rocketry, 2006-09:

Welcome back. In part 1 of this article, which appeared in the July/August issue, I showed you how I applied the basecoats, marblizer, and candy coats to the Public Enemy Rockets Fat Boy model. This time we will apply the pearl flames and clear coat to the rocket. There are many styles of flames to choose from. If you need ideas, refer to a book called “How to Paint Flames” by Bruce Caldwell, available from MotorBooks (www.motorbooks.com ).

Specifically, How To Paint Flames.

This other title looks like more of an overview of the flame motif: how it evolved, profiles of some of the best painters, illustrations of different flame types, painters' thoughts on techniques, etc. Up in Flames: The Art of Flame Painting by Tim Phelps.

MarkII
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011