Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2005, 02:46 PM
Master Modeler

Default Quasar decals

I have a clone of the Centuri Quasar in the final stages of finishing; I downloaded the decal scans, but, lacking the scan dpi information, I can't tell what size the sheet ought to be. If I just blindly print out at 300 dpi resolution, the sheet is 20.5 " long, which I find hard to believe for a rocket only 17.5" in length. 600 dpi looks too small, so I'm turning to you folks for help...

Can anyone - pretty please - help me with sizing these decals?

Thanks in advance...
In finishing: Centuri Sabre clone
In primer:
In paint:
Ready for decals:

Bill Cooke
NAR #31312
TRA #19705
SAM #0001
Huntsville, AL

My rocket blog
My rocket fleet
Old 09-10-2005, 01:33 PM
Arley's Spaced Out Rocketry

Default Decals

Yes I can help you, and the decals from JimZ are way too large. You see I ordered a set of decals for the Quasar from Tanga Papa. And once I looked at them I know they were 2 to 3 times to big for the Centuri Quasar. I notified Him immortally so he would not sale any more Quasar Decals at the wrong size, you see he uses JimZ to, get a lot of his decals. I sized them for him using the BT-5 body tube that has the red band decal around it adding 1/16 of an inch for overlap, and they made all the decals to scale

Here is what I used to scale any kit decals that have body tube wraps for scale; they are the exact size of Estes Body Tubes. I have redrawn over 20 decals and sent them to Tanga Papa and the Quasar decals he now has are to scale.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Body tube wraps.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  76.2 KB  
Old 07-16-2006, 01:05 AM
Master Modeler

While letting the glue dry on my Semroc SLS Aero-Dart, I have finally gotten back to finishing this rocket. Here's how she looks painted and with the ram pods attached:

Ram pod nozzles, cones, and the main nose cone by Moldin Oldies; fins courtesy Semroc. Lousy paint job , me
In primer:
In paint:
Ready for decals:

Bill Cooke
NAR #31312
TRA #19705
SAM #0001
Huntsville, AL

My rocket blog
My rocket fleet
Old 07-16-2006, 05:58 PM
NAR #78048 L1 - Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanel
While letting the glue dry on my Semroc SLS Aero-Dart, I have finally gotten back to finishing this rocket. Here's how she looks painted and with the ram pods attached:

Ram pod nozzles, cones, and the main nose cone by Moldin Oldies; fins courtesy Semroc. Lousy paint job , me

Bill;

It's very fine! I have one way, way down in my "sometime this century" queue; I'll be very interested in your flight report.
YORF #003
SAM #004
Old 07-16-2006, 06:42 PM
Master Modeler

Thanks John!

I applied the decals (ordered from Tango Papa) today - she's ready to fly. I figured she would be on the heavy side, but my scale gives a weight of 3.1 oz, just slightly more than the catalog value of 3.0 oz. I'll be able to go with the catalog recommended engines. Not too bad...

I forgot to mention in my previous post that the tubes and motor mount, as well as the fins, are from Semroc. Carl really makes it possible to bring back the greats!

Here's a pic of the finished model:

In primer:
In paint:
Ready for decals:

Bill Cooke
NAR #31312
TRA #19705
SAM #0001
Huntsville, AL

My rocket blog
My rocket fleet
Old 07-16-2006, 06:50 PM
NAR #78048 L1 - Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanel
Thanks John!

I applied the decals (ordered from Tango Papa) today - she's ready to fly. I figured she would be on the heavy side, but my scale gives a weight of 3.1 oz, just slightly more than the catalog value of 3.0 oz. I'll be able to go with the catalog recommended engines. Not too bad...

I forgot to mention in my previous post that the tubes and motor mount, as well as the fins, are from Semroc. Carl really makes it possible to bring back the greats!

Here's a pic of the finished model:

Boy, it's just incredible the impact decals can make on the finished product. The thread provides a great opportunity to compare before and after. Those decals really make that paint job pop! It's getting too nice to fly now.

Way to go, Bill!
YORF #003
SAM #004
Old 07-16-2006, 07:31 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Nice Bill. Maybe I need to add something else to the que.....Nah, I'll just keep admiring this one.

Don
NAR 53455
Old 07-16-2006, 08:16 PM
Dazed and Confused

Bill,

Did you apply the red directly over the silver paint, over a white base coat, over primer???

Just curious. I have my best luck with bright red over a white base coat. If I apply it over other colors, the resulting red color will be darker. When applying over some paint surfaces, it will not only be darker, but have a satin look instead of glossy.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:38 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Bill,

Did you apply the red directly over the silver paint, over a white base coat, over primer???

Just curious. I have my best luck with bright red over a white base coat. If I apply it over other colors, the resulting red color will be darker. When applying over some paint surfaces, it will not only be darker, but have a satin look instead of glossy.

Interesting , I hadn't thought of this. The base coat is Krylon silver (over Krylon white primer) and the Kyrlon banner red was applied over the silver on the fins and pods. I haven't compared to see if there was any darkening of color - if there was, it is a good thing, because the red is a close match to the Tango Papa decals.

The fins are laminated with paper, and look pretty glossy to me. I am less fond of the Krylon silver base; I am working on a clone of the Estes Wolverine, and intend on trying Testor's silver to see if it looks better.
In primer:
In paint:
Ready for decals:

Bill Cooke
NAR #31312
TRA #19705
SAM #0001
Huntsville, AL

My rocket blog
My rocket fleet
Old 07-16-2006, 08:41 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brohm
It's getting too nice to fly now.

Thanks, but ain't gonna happen - all my rockets are built to fly, and fly they do until they can't fly any more
In primer:
In paint:
Ready for decals:

Bill Cooke
NAR #31312
TRA #19705
SAM #0001
Huntsville, AL

My rocket blog
My rocket fleet