Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Swap Shoppe > Wanted: Dead or Alive!
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2012, 08:17 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Wanted Estes PNC-50Y

I'm looking to clone an Estes Antares. It was my second rocket and the first rocket I built. I'd like to get the original plastic nose cone at least one, more if possible. If any one has one or more they are willing to part with, let me know and we'll work something out.
Take Care, John
Old 01-05-2012, 08:49 PM
Dazed and Confused

I can't help with a PNC-50Y, but SEMROC has a balsa version. Spend a little time with some filler and sandpaper and you can have one that's just as pretty and slick as the original plastic one. SEMROC BNC-20YP
Old 01-05-2012, 11:36 PM
Master Modeler

I don't really want to take a sale away from Carl...but this is a common nose cone, used in a number of current kits and RTFs including but not limited to the Nova Payloader (white), Taser (the launch set Taser, not the two-stage Taser Twin - in black), the RTF Athena (sparkly blue), the RTF Hijinks (yellow), RTF Rascal (blue), RTF Sky Trax (sparkly green), and - I am sure - others. It's also in the pack of four BT-50 plastic cones from Estes (two of them, white) such as this one: http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/est/est303162.htm .....
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 01-05-2012, 11:51 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
I don't really want to take a sale away from Carl...but this is a common nose cone, used in a number of current kits and RTFs including but not limited to the Nova Payloader (white), Taser (the launch set Taser, not the two-stage Taser Twin - in black), the RTF Athena (sparkly blue), the RTF Hijinks (yellow), RTF Rascal (blue), RTF Sky Trax (sparkly green), and - I am sure - others. It's also in the pack of four BT-50 plastic cones from Estes such as this: http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/est/est303162.htm .....

Bernard,
The problem is this. The current PNC-50Y is NOT the same shape as the old PNC-50Y, in much the same way as the current PNC-50K is not the same shape as the old PNC-50K. For whatever reason, about 15 years ago the molds were replaced. Both shapes became more accurate mathematically, and ended up more "pointy". The old shapes were thicker toward the top (even though they did end in points). If the new ones are used in clones, they just don't look right. For example, take an Estes reissue Orbital Transport from a few years ago, and compare it to the original, or to the Semroc version. The Estes reissue just doesn't look right.

If he wants an Antares to look like an old Antares, he needs an old PNC-50Y. Or, if he doesn't mind balsa, he needs an original BNC-50Y or one of Carl's replacements (I don't remember if BMS's version is properly shaped).
Old 01-06-2012, 01:10 AM
Master Modeler

Roy,

Thanks for the additional education. My gap in knowledge is about 30 years wide and I still have much to learn. Just having done a little tracing of how the Alpha has evolved over time (including at least two different BNC-50Ks as well as the several PNC-50K variants), I can certainly see this.

One odd side note on the new(er) shape: all of the nose cones of that type I have had until very recently had a defect in the shape - the OD at the base of the cone (top of the shoulder) is not round and does not fair evenly or smoothly into the body below. A few days ago I prepped one of the latest "made in Guangdong, China" Athena RTFs for use and that aberration in the shape was not there - the base of the cone has an even offset from the diameter of the shoulder all the way around, and not that bump around the area where the plastic is injected into the mold.

This does nothing for the OP, but does add another variation on the PNC-50Y shape, albeit an even more subtle one...... I wonder if the latest batch of SkyTraxes have the improved shape, too. Hmmmmm.....
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 01-06-2012, 07:51 AM
Paper Rocketeer

A little more info here - although we usually just refer to the nose cone in the Nose used in the Super Nova, Mongoose and Guardian (the inkection molded version)as PNC-50Y, its actual designation is PNC-50YR. The older PNC-50Y was blow-molded and did have a bit different shape. So it's the blow-molded version John is looking for.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:25 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Right. If it's a two-piece cone, it's not what you want.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:26 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1778ppr
I'm looking to clone an Estes Antares. It was my second rocket and the first rocket I built. I'd like to get the original plastic nose cone at least one, more if possible. If any one has one or more they are willing to part with, let me know and we'll work something out.
Take Care, John

My very first rocket. I cloned one a few years ago. I used a balsa cone from Semroc instead of the plastic. The new nose cone like theone in the Nova Payloader now are two-piece.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:36 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Thanks for all the replies. I have been looking at the one at Semroc. Their BNC-50Y closely matches what I remember. I will go with that if I cannot find the plastic nose cone. I am no authority but, I remember that the Antares had a blow molded nose cone. The new replacement nose cone is injection molded and has a slightly different shape. The biggest problem with the new 2 piece nose cones are that they are not concentric. The blow molded version was lighter, much more concentric, and looked better. (IMO) Still looking and thanks for the help.
John
Old 01-06-2012, 08:08 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1778ppr
Thanks for all the replies. I have been looking at the one at Semroc. Their BNC-50Y closely matches what I remember. I will go with that if I cannot find the plastic nose cone. I am no authority but, I remember that the Antares had a blow molded nose cone. The new replacement nose cone is injection molded and has a slightly different shape. The biggest problem with the new 2 piece nose cones are that they are not concentric. The blow molded version was lighter, much more concentric, and looked better. (IMO) Still looking and thanks for the help.
John

You are correct...it was blow-molded. The only thing that Semroc does not have was the 10" chute. I used a 12" in mine. Otherwise they could release this kit as a retro-repro.