Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Rocket Boosted Gliders
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2012, 12:08 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB.
This is a cool thread.
Heartily agreed!
Quote:
I'd like to make a suggestion though: I think the fin design on the Quest HL-20 is superior to the old Centuri X-24 fin design. The folded leading edge on the HL-20 would seem to reduce surface drag by 50% and eliminating the three draggy lugs in the fins can't hurt either.
Never having built a Quest HL-20, I'm wondering--are its fins simply folded over at their leading edges to create "two-ply" cardstock fins (whose inner faces are glued together, I would presume)? Or does each fin have a spanwise spar (a length of dowel, maybe?) that is glued between the fin skins at the (swept-back, of course) mid-chord line? That would stiffen and strengthen the fins and give them a double-wedge airfoil shape. (Yet another--and structurally strong--option would be to give the fins a single-wedge airfoil shape, like the X-15's vertical stabilizer fin and ventral fin.) Also:

In your experience, how well (or poorly) does the Quest HL-20's "Northrop HL-10-like" fin *placement* affect its boost stability and glide ratio as compared to the X-24 Bug's boost stability and glide ratio? (Just looking at both designs, I would guess that the X-24 Bug might boost straighter but that the HL-20's two outer fin "winglets" might enhance its lift/drag ratio when gliding, as well as improve its roll stability during the glide, because those two fins' dihedral would "amplify" the dihedral effect of the cone fuselage's triangular cross-section.)
Quote:
I'm not being critical, this is just a suggestion since you seem to be embarking on a development program. I am insanely jealous of anyone having the time to do this.
Or in my case, having the energy and the model-building space! :-)
Quote:
Perhaps the article with the HL-20 style fins could be Atlantis or Calypso or Beagle.
Anything other than Baychimo or Marie Celeste... :-)
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR

Last edited by blackshire : 04-30-2012 at 12:15 AM. Reason: This ol' hoss done forgot somethin'.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:03 AM
Bona-Fide Space Hero

Whoa... lotsa feedback.

I do prefer the HL-20-style fins. They are a little more aerodynamic as well as being stiffer.

The main difference is that the HL-20 fins are folded along the leading edge into a "V" shape with the tip glued closed but the root and trailing edge open. No spars or anything inside. I was just going to make a little strip of cardstock, fold it in half and glue it inside the leading edge of the X-24 fins.

The HL-20 goes pretty straight up. It wobbles somewhat, but I think that is due mostly to the launch lug being on the outside of the fuselage. As far as the glide... I don't know . Neither glide terrably well - Centuri stated a 2:1 glide ratio, and my HL-20 came reasonably close to that. (DANG! looks like I gotta build that thing after all - Atlantis)

One of the reasons I wanted to give the X-24 a try was because it is a really easy model the requires very little time (or money) to assemble (no sanding or painting).

PROPOSED NAMES FOR ENDEAVOUR: (from NASA web site)
Adventure, Calypso, Chatham, Deepstar, Desire, Dove
Godspeed, Horizon, Nautilus, North Star, Pathfinder
Phoenix, Resolution, Trieste, Victoria, Victory, Blake,
Hokule'a, Eagle, Endurance, Griffin, Gulf Stream,
Investigator, Meteor, Polar Star, Rising Star, Royal Tern
Old 04-30-2012, 07:41 AM
rosko_racer

Default Quest HL-20 and Century X-24 Bug Hybrid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironnerd
Whoa... lotsa feedback.

I do prefer the HL-20-style fins. They are a little more aerodynamic as well as being stiffer.

Has anyone consider a Hybrid of both desings? Sounds interesting. I am extremely busy for rocketry for the next three weeks to take up this challenge, but maybe a fellow rocketeer can take up this challenge and report their findings... Just thinking...

- Raúl
NAR #88644
SAM #230
EAC
CAT
Old 04-30-2012, 07:48 PM
Bona-Fide Space Hero

I'm going to do at least one X-24 with the "wedge fins" like the HL-20 uses. Depends on which one has the best hang time. Looks like it will be VERY Endeavour (built from spare parts).
Old 05-03-2012, 12:43 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Old 05-03-2012, 05:35 AM
Bona-Fide Space Hero

Innnnnteresting, Naoto...

UFO came out about 2 years before the X-24 appeared in the Centuri catalogue. I wonder if Mr Piester was/is a fan of the show...
Old 05-03-2012, 09:01 AM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Innnnnteresting, Naoto...

UFO came out about 2 years before the X-24 appeared in the Centuri catalogue. I wonder if Mr Piester was/is a fan of the show...

Could have been though I think Larry Brown of the Centuri staff specifically developed their X-24 product if I recall correctly. but no telling what his actual influences may have been for the final design.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 05-03-2012, 05:45 PM
Bona-Fide Space Hero

Default More pictures

Okay. I got a few minutes so I uploaded these

First pic: Columbia, Challenger, and Discovery showing longerons and balance weights

Second pic: Columbia - back end (yeah... I got the bulkhead off-center...:rolleyes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC03621.JPG
Views: 183
Size:  157.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC03622.JPG
Views: 160
Size:  148.0 KB  
Old 05-03-2012, 05:51 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
(yeah... I got the bulkhead off-center...:rolleyes
Yeah, I did that with my first one, too. It's sorta like a fat woman with her skirt on crooked, eh?

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 05-03-2012, 08:57 PM
Bona-Fide Space Hero

I have since learned to get everything lined up, put a drop of glue at each cover of the bulkhead, and set the model nose down in an empty cup to dry. THEN glue around the rest of the bulkhead.

Challenger and Discovery have much better alignment, and smoother exterior (Columbia has a pucker just in front of the bulkhead, but it's very slight - not enough to affect performance)