Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which motor do we need most ?
B14-x (18mm) 36 32.73%
D30-x (24mm) 15 13.64%
D8-x (18mm like the old Cox D's, not some 20mm oddball diameter) 14 12.73%
A8-0 (18mm) 21 19.09%
1/2A3-0T (13mm) 11 10.00%
C5-x (18mm) 13 11.82%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-30-2015, 11:34 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
I would cheerfully buy and machine the pintle from molybdium (sp).

Molybdenum... interesting...

Sounds like you have some customers making a request... might be something for you to consider.

Good luck and I'd buy some too...

Later! OL JR
Old 03-31-2015, 02:14 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Thanks, Solomoriah.

While I find the E16 and F15 29mm offerings interesting, and I have bought 10 or so paks to add to the stockpile, I think there are MANY more useful motors they could have made or brought back.
Realizing ONLY Carl at Semroc would have had the stones to bring back the B14 and a port-burning C19, the list below are motors we could use, without having a mamby-pamby yet PHONY safety concern for manufacuring:

B8 and C5 series- press the BP around a pintle for semi-port-burning.
B4-6 (lose the B6-6 that offers NOTHING over B4-6)
1/2A6-0 ( or bring back the 1/2A3-0 for use in a 18mm adapter)
Cox-style D8-3/0 in a 2.75" casing. It got one about 13n-sec when case was FULL to the brim; this was bar-none the best engine I ever used in my Mars Lander and 1284 Space Shuttle. Cox rated it at 15n-sec but that was baloney; it was 12 or 13; sorta like adding an A on top of a full-C.

A semi port-burning pintle-pressed version of the C11/D12/E9/E12 to give approximately a C20/D25/E30.

The B8, C5, B4-6, 1/2A6-0 should be very simple to bring back.

The ONE thing I miss most about Semroc/Carl and the team there is that they ALWAYS listened to their loyal followers and when they could not do something, they always would give a BELIEVABLE LEGITIMATE reason why they could not.
While Carl never got to realize his proposal to bring back several needed 18/24mm BP SU engines, given time I'm sure he would have.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 03-31-2015, 06:04 AM
Paper Rocketeer

I really am not sure about the whole 1/2A-x line. At our NAR chapter, we've had poor results from the 1/2A6-2 in the last couple of years. The thrust seems to be uneven at best - one motor will pretty much work as advertised and the next will be underpowered in the exact same rocket. Most of us now use the 1/2A3-2T with an adapter (the Estes adapters work VERY well!). But I would like to see the return of both the 1/2A3-0T and the A3-0T motors, although I can live with the A10-0T to A3-4T combo (wish we had the -6, but because of newer blends of BP that can't happen now). But at least we DO have both the A8-0 and A10-0T motors back - that is definitely a plus!

Member of Launch Crue - http://launchcrue.org/

Hint #1: Do not use magician's flash paper for recovery wadding!

Hint #2: Clean your shoes after flyin' in that cow pasture - that ain't no dirt clod on the sole!
Old 03-31-2015, 08:35 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

It used to be the audience for this thread was Estes (Tunik) and Semroc (Carl) and that German company. Now with FSI ramping up and Semroc sold to erockets and Estes owned by Hobbico (Piester in charge of division), it seems slightly more likely we will see BP motors of a higher thrust available sometime. But keep in mind they have been produced before and sampled before with them being either not released or actually removed from market.

It appears the A10 and C11 are the only current variants that approximate high thrust. One by being short and one by having a right angle thrust curve.

The second strategy seems the way to go based on what I know and simply have shorter delay options as a result, maybe 0, 2, 4, 6.

Estes has never made a 3.75" 18mm casing for a full C or mid-D or higher thrust C or low D.

Estes did however make a 3.75" 24mm casing for the E9 and E12 that would suit a D30 with a similar design to the A-10.

I wouldn't mind giving Rick Piester about 5 molybdenum pintles for his birthday.

He can classify them with tool steel first.

Jerry
Old 03-31-2015, 08:35 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Unfortunately NOBODY within 120 miles of my home carries the A10-0T.
The 4 hobby shops by my work (60 miles from my home) as well as my local hobby shop, local hobby lobby, and local Michaels store dont carry them, nor do any of these shops have the E12 in any flavor.
I can get everything but those including the C11, D12, E9, E16, and F15 in all flavors.
WHY the E9 is carried but NOT the E12 makes no sense to me.
Would really like some paks of E12-0's for a REASONABLE (no hazz-mutt) price for my Omega clone. I need to build a booster for that one to use the 29mm E16-0 and F15-0.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 03-31-2015, 09:11 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
The 4 hobby shops by my work (60 miles from my home) as well as my local hobby shop

Any Hobby Shop that already carries Estes products can order any Estes Motor for you. If they don't have it in stock, have them order it for you along with their next motor purchase. Offer to pay half up front if needed. Any Hobby Shop not willing to do this for a customer shouldn't be in business.

I've asked several time to get the C5-3 motor back. Maybe the bring back scale kit I've been asked to work on will do the trick since I don't really think our current C6-3 motors will fly it safety. Worse case, I upscale it to take a D12\E12 motor which wouldn't be a bad thing!

John Boren
Old 03-31-2015, 09:24 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJet
I've asked several time to get the C5-3 motor back. Maybe the bring back scale kit I've been asked to work on will do the trick since I don't really think our current C6-3 motors will fly it safety. Worse case, I upscale it to take a D12\E12 motor which wouldn't be a bad thing!

John Boren

John,

Did the original release require a high spike motor?
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 03-31-2015, 09:27 AM
Master Modeler

I'd by C5-0's before a C5-3. it would make 3 stage 18 mm flights much better.......
Old 03-31-2015, 09:44 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
Exactly... I wouldn't expect to ever see the true core burner black powder motors make a comeback... especially not with hand-drilled cores!

BUT, a semi-core-burner IS machine produceable (though at greater cost due to the rapid wearing of the core pintle and with somewhat lower reliability) and would be a welcome addition to the rocket motor selection availability...

Probably won't happen, but it would be nice...

Later! OL JR
If Klima would license their technology for making paper-cased composite motors, a whole new world of possibilities would open up...the return of the A3-6T, reliable 13 mm "B" motors, 18 mm B8 and B14 motors, and even Cox-type D8 motors in the 18 mm X 2.75" size.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 03-31-2015, 09:49 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Did the original release require a high spike motor?

It had a C5 motors as first flight and C6 as an additional motor.

I wish the C5 was available when I designed the Asteroid Hunter. It's flight profile would have benefited from it greatly.

John Boren