Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > BARCLONE > Designer's Studio
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 07:36 PM
Master Modeler

Lightbulb New Design: Mini Hammer Head

Here is a 13 mm motor version of the original design called Hammer Head. Body tubes and other things been changed to help this design preform on the 13mm motors.

Lately I have also sent out my first Semroc order on Father's Day. So many parts to choose from make a guy all silly with choices. Carl has been a big help too, Thanks Carl!
My goal is to get the Neptune Lander and the Experimental Anti-Maxx built and test flown on the 4th of July.

Thanks Again and Enjoy, JP

James Pierson
NAR#77907
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Mini Hammer Head Image.png
Views: 112
Size:  12.9 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Mini Hammer Head.rkt (46.6 KB, 92 views)
Old 06-22-2006, 02:19 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Send a message via AIM to Aeronautical Send a message via MSN to Aeronautical

Nice, I like them, you use a program to design any of your rockets?

And I've been doing rocketry for years, but I'm still not as familiar with all the different models, you people obviously know alot about these things. Is there a book that I could get that has all the different estes models and other company models?

ANd just out of Curiosity, how high should those two quickie rockets you posted fly CPMcGraw, the pub and the one along the lines of the Estes Interceptor and Quest Intruder, I think it's the scorpion.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:16 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeronautical
Nice, I like them, you use a program to design any of your rockets?

And I've been doing rocketry for years, but I'm still not as familiar with all the different models, you people obviously know alot about these things. Is there a book that I could get that has all the different estes models and other company models?

ANd just out of Curiosity, how high should those two quickie rockets you posted fly CPMcGraw, the pub and the one along the lines of the Estes Interceptor and Quest Intruder, I think it's the scorpion.

Yes, I use Apogee's RockSim v8 for my design work, as do some of the others on this forum. All, or nearly all, of the designs you see in this thread were created with RockSim. You can get a 30-day fully-functional demo from www.apogeerockets.com and study what we can do. There are some limitations in the program, but we've found a number of work-arounds...

I think we have a FAQ with all of our "favorite links" listed, but for historical data on Estes and Centuri, you can't do better than the Ninfinger Files (sounds like a SciFi TV show, doesn't it?) located at http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/rockets.html . This is the best repository for catalogs anywhere. Sven has almost every catalog from Estes since 1960, only missing one or two at best.

The best textbook reference I can suggest for general rocketry design and flight is the classic Handbook of Model Rocketry by G. Harry Stine (currently in its seventh editiion, with additiional editing by Bill Stine). Every model rocket enthusiast should have a copy in their library.

Which two "quickie" designs are you referring to? I've recently posted several in response to some specific issues, such as the Centuri Screaming Eagle and the Estes Hi Flier...

You ask about the Scorpion, and that wasn't exactly a "quickie". It's been some time back since I posted it. In fact, now that I go back and look at it, I can see that it needs a "remake". See attached image, below. The simulation runs achieved 200' on the B6 and 500' on the C6. The parachute deployment speeds are too high, now that I've looked again...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Scorpion 3D.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  30.6 KB  

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 06-22-2006, 03:46 PM
Junior Rocketeer

I have actually had the 30 trial offer for rocksim, it's nice, I thought that's what you were using. I think I will buy it one of these days so I can participate in you conversations better.

I read the Handbook of Model Rocketry about nine months ago. It was a very good book, however I don't own it, and I will be purchasing it one of these days....everything costs money.

And I think I'm going to have to get some catalogs eh? Anyone that any of you suggest that is a must? And what is that link? Ninfinger productions, it's alot of pictures and what not, do you just refer to them alot? And yes, that sounds like a scifi tv show, it actually sounds like something that'd come out of X Files.

I was referring to your very first two posts on this thread.

So, yea, thanks!
Old 06-22-2006, 04:38 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Exclamation Updated Plan -- Pug

Quote:
...everything costs money.

...And is getting more expensive every day. Some of us here actually have to work to pay for the important things, like nose cones and tubes, and what we have left over we spend on other stuff, like food and utilities...

Quote:
And I think I'm going to have to get some catalogs eh? Anyone that any of you suggest that is a must?

All of 'em, of course!

Quote:
And what is that link? Ninfinger productions, it's alot of pictures and what not, do you just refer to them alot?

Sven has done a lot of work putting his website together, and he has more interests than just model rockets. He has information about the real things, too. And cats...

I've downloaded all of his Estes and Centuri catalog pages to my personal drive, so that I can refer to them at any time without going out to the internet. Comes in handy...

The link to Ninfinger is http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/rockets.html

Quote:
I was referring to your very first two posts on this thread.

OK, that was the Pug and the Scorpion. I've built Pug, but I haven't flown it yet. Scorpion is still a RockSim file at this time. My Pug prototype has one change, which I didn't even notice until just now. I show a 4" body tube, and I built mine with a 5" tube. The recommended motors are still the 1/4A3-3T and the 1/2A3-4T; the full A3 and A10 motors are not optimal, and actually deploy during the ascent. The 1/4A reaches 110', while the 1/2A reaches 295'. I think this is more than sufficient for a small model. You wouldn't see it above 300', and stand a good chance of loosing it...

The updated Pug is attached below...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Pug 2D.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  30.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Pug 3D.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  42.4 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Pug.rkt (47.4 KB, 101 views)

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 06-22-2006, 05:01 PM
Junior Rocketeer

You people really do like "small" rockets don't you?

I personally have flown more 'c' engine types, and the experimental one I am working is going to have some real power, it'll require a waiver for sure, because, I just havn't found a material suitable to contain the fuel, I'm thinking graphite though, I'm not sure where I can get lage amounts of it. What I need is a large bar of it, any ideas, I think it would be possible to put that on a lathe, then again, I'm not really sure, as I'v never tried anything like that before, but I'd sure like to try.

and I like your comment; ...And is getting more expensive every day. Some of us here actually have to work to pay for the important things, like nose cones and tubes, and what we have left over we spend on other stuff, like food and utilities...
Old 06-22-2006, 08:10 PM
Master Modeler

Aeronautical said
Quote:

Welcome to the forum Aeronautical.

Yep. Small rockets and a small price tag too. Don't look at them as small rockets, look at them as masterpieces of fine art. When is the last time you seen a Da-Vinky take off starbound and 300 mph and land safely to fly again. Beside most of us fly rocket that match our surroundings. I live in the middle of a rain forest full of rocket eating trees here in Washington State, so low altitude is the best recovery choice for me.

I would like to highly reccomend that you join the NAR and check out the NARTREK program. I think this program has a lot to offer for you.

James Pierson
NAR# 77907
Old 06-22-2006, 10:00 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Pierson
Aeronautical said

Welcome to the forum Aeronautical.

Yep. Small rockets and a small price tag too. Don't look at them as small rockets, look at them as masterpieces of fine art. When is the last time you seen a Da-Vinky take off starbound and 300 mph and land safely to fly again. Beside most of us fly rocket that match our surroundings. I live in the middle of a rain forest full of rocket eating trees here in Washington State, so low altitude is the best recovery choice for me.

I would like to highly reccomend that you join the NAR and check out the NARTREK program. I think this program has a lot to offer for you.

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

Let me back up what James is saying here, as I have only one or two fields nearby that are suitable for just A-C motors. Even the "C" class can be a nail-biting experience. Down here in Mobile (aka Hurricane Alley) there are no sites really large enough for anything over an "F", and the nearest RC flying site is open-flame prohibited (it's an old landfill, with methane vents), so there is no rocketry allowed there at all.

We all enjoy hearing about HPR and XPR, and we've discussed several designs that fit those categories. However, reality sets in very quickly when we start thinking about what those models would cost in terms of operation. But "aerodynamics is aerodynamics", no matter the size. We get just as much satisfaction from these smaller birds as HPR and XPR folks get with theirs. Maybe more, since we get to fly a lot more often, and we can built a much larger collection, on the same amount of money. Loose a big bird, you suffer major pain. Loose a small bird, you quickly build another and go fly again...

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 06-22-2006, 11:24 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:

I've flown plenty of big ones. To be honest, the cost, the long travel distances, etc. got boring to me. Here's my Aerobee Hi at LDRS ten years ago on an experimental motor. A much better motor than the commercial Skidmark that came out several years later. The Aerobee is 1/2 scale, approximately 12 feet tall.

Old 06-23-2006, 08:08 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I've flown plenty of big ones. To be honest, the cost, the long travel distances, etc. got boring to me. Here's my Aerobee Hi at LDRS ten years ago on an experimental motor. A much better motor than the commercial Skidmark that came out several years later. The Aerobee is 1/2 scale, approximately 12 feet tall.

Awesome!
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Closed Thread