Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2010, 12:52 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspitza
Hi Craig:
No, no irons here except for the ones for pants and shirts! Would this work if no moister is used?

You're welcome...

Yes, a regular clothes iron will work, but make sure you have one of those cloth covers over it and use low heat, because any exposed glue will melt and stick to the iron, and end up rubbing off on your clothes the next time your better half irons your shirts... or pants... or worse...

This tends to end badly for the male who used the iron for hobby purposes...

Of course, you can get irons cheap at yard sales or even Walmart-- heck even hobby irons aren't that expensive at the hobby shop or from online vendors...

Good luck! OL JR
Old 07-18-2010, 07:13 AM
Paper Rocketeer

Here's another little trick - when you glue the paper to the fin, leave some excess (1/4" or so) at the root end. Fold them back on the fin for the time being. Then, after double gluing the fin to the body tube, glue those two flaps to the body tube on either side of the fin - Instant Fillets.

Greg
Old 07-18-2010, 09:30 AM
When Pigs Fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspitza
Hi Craig:
No, no irons here except for the ones for pants and shirts! Would this work if no moister is used?

Like Luke S. said, a regular "pants and shirts" iron will work, but I'd recommend setting your iron on the dry setting.

Be sure the papered surface you are ironing is clean, you don't want to heat-set any dirt or oils onto your fins.

www.oddlrockets.com
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com
http://www.nar.org/educational-reso...ing-techniques/
Your results may vary
"Nose cones roll, be careful with that."
Every spaceman needs a ray gun.
Look out - I'm the Meister Shyster!
Old 07-18-2010, 10:45 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
Craig has some interesting information there, and is worth a try. I've heard of guys making homemade body tubes using that method, of applying the glue, allowing it to dry, winding the tube around a suitable mandrel, then ironing the tube to set the glue and seal the layers together. It would probably work at least as well for papering fins.

I go for a more "standard" approach. Sand the fins to the airfoil desired. Cut paper a little over double the size of the fin, and apply then apply a VERY THIN layer of white glue to the paper and spread it out into a very thin, even coat. Apply the fin to the paper, so that the leading edge of the fin is toward the center. Apply another very thin layer of glue to the exposed surface of the fin, and fold it over the leading edge of the fin onto the other half of the paper, and press the fin down against the paper firmly. Using the round end of a Sharpie marker, gently "burnish" the paper down tightly to the surface of the fin, starting at the center of the leading edge and working out to the root and tip edges, and from the leading edge center to the trailing edge of the fin. Using the barrel of the Sharpie marker like a kitchen rolling pin helps as well, especially if you have a little more glue on the fin or paper than you should have. Work gently but smoothly and you'll remove 100% of all air bubbles and make the paper smooth and slick as glass on the fin. Flip the fin over and repeat for the other side.

Allow the fins to dry overnight, and cut off the excess paper with scissors to within about 1/4 to 1/8 inch of the fin edge, and then using a SHARP hobby knife blade, gently shave the edge of the paper down flush with the root, tip, and trailing edge of the fin. The paper is wrapped over the leading edge tightly so the slipstream won't tear it off the fin or cause the paper to come loose. No CA applications are required, but can be done if you want, but then the CA will require sanding down. The fins are ready to use as-is with NO CA, so that's how I do it. I usually "dress" the edges of the fins by drawing them gently across a sheet of 220 grit sandpaper at a SLIGHT angle to the edge, to use the paper to 'shave off" any excess hairs of paper and make it completely and perfectly flush to the edge of the fin.

The fins are now 100% ready to glue onto the rocket, and can be glued on using a standard double-glue joint with regular yellow carpenter's glue, and can be filleted as you desire (I prefer Titebond Moulding and Trim Glue here-- it's an absolute SNAP to fillet with and does a perfect job!)

The fins thus papered take a regular primer coat or two used to prep the rocket for paint and sanding quite well. I sand the primer with 220 grit and then move on to 400 grit wet/dry paper dampened with water to keep the paper from clogging. Works like a champ and produces fins that look just like plastic when you're done!

Good luck! OL JR

This portion of your procedure really caught my attention...............can you expand on it?

<(I prefer Titebond Moulding and Trim Glue here-- it's an absolute SNAP to fillet with and does a perfect job!)>

Thanks.......................

Joe
Old 07-18-2010, 09:47 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
This portion of your procedure really caught my attention...............can you expand on it?

<(I prefer Titebond Moulding and Trim Glue here-- it's an absolute SNAP to fillet with and does a perfect job!)>

Thanks.......................

Joe

Sure... Titebond Moulding and Trim Glue (TMTG for short) is a thickened type of white glue. It's absolutely perfect for LPR rocket fillets IMHO. It goes on easy, won't run, cleans up with water, and smooths out perfectly into beautiful fillets with only a damp finger run over it. Also, it dries clear and WILL NOT shrink appreciably as it dries, so it won't leave a fillet with as many holes in it as swiss cheese like regular carpenters wood glue or white glue will. The fact that it won't run means you don't have to worry about the rocket being propped up just perfectly while the fillet dries, and still risking the glue all running to one end or running down the side of the tube or something and making a mess. It can be a little difficult to sand (it's a little 'softer' when dry than wood glue, so it clogs up paper easier, but that isn't much of an issue since you glue the fins on normally with yellow wood carpenter's glue (I prefer Titebond II myself) using a double glue joint (so the fins go on as easy as using CA, with the good strength of carpenter's glue and without the brittleness of CA and risking gluing your fingers to the fins or rocket messing with CA, and of course the fumes from CA... ). Once the fins are dry, the TMTG fillets go on easy as pie. Usually you can get the fillets done with one pass, and you can do them ALL at the same time-- no more applying yellow or white glue fillets to two adjoining fins, and propping the model up perfectly level to prevent the stuff from running off the ends, and then waiting for it to dry or set up completely before doing the next adjoining two fins and having to wait for them... You can apply the TMTG to both sides of each fin all at once and be done, since the stuff doesn't run. For really thick or big fins, sometimes I DO go back and apply a second "layer" to the fillet over the first, just for a rounder, wider fillet, but that's totally optional. Not like yellow or white glue where you do your fillets, and come back later to find they're full of dimples, pocks, and holes from bubbles in the glue that popped as the glue dried, and having to reapply a second fillet over the first trying to fill in all the holes, and usually having to make a third pass to finally get the fillet all filled in and smooth.

Also, it's water based, so it's safe to handle, and cleans up easily, and there's virtually no waste, unlike epoxy fillets which has to be mixed up, wasting a lot of epoxy, applied with a stick or other applicator, handled and smoothed with gloves on (epoxy on your skin can lead to epoxy allergies) and ends up being much heavier than water based glues because there is no 'solvent' to evaporate in epoxy. Don't get me wrong, epoxy is GREAT for HPR, but we REALLY don't need the strength in LPR/MPR... standard balsa and paper tube construction materials are weaker than a good yellow or white glue joint anyway.

You can get the stuff beside the yellow carpenter's glues at any of the big box indoor lumberyard stores, like Lowes or Home Depot or Menards...

I'll see if I have a picture of the bottle for you.

Good luck! Later! OL JR

PS... the one thing about this glue that I wish was a little better, is that it kinda will dry out into some "globs" in the nozzle end after you finish using it, so the next time you use it you'll find some minor "globs" in the fillet, but they smooth down nicely with a dampened finger. It's just a minor annoyance, and I've found that replacing the rather crappy applicator tip they put on the bottle, with a screw-type small hole style bottle cap from a bottle of Elmer's regular white glue works MUCH MUCH better-- it applies easier, goes on nicer, and eliminates the 'globs' that tend to form in the tip. I use the same style bottle cap on my carpenter's wood glue bottles as well... I just keep the lid off the bottle after I use up a bottle of Elmer's white glue...

Hope this helps! OL JR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  WoodmoldingTB.gif
Views: 79
Size:  20.9 KB  
Old 07-19-2010, 06:07 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

Quote:
Sure... Titebond Moulding and Trim Glue (TMTG for short) is a thickened type of white glue. It's absolutely perfect for LPR rocket fillets IMHO. It goes on easy, won't run, cleans up with water, and smooths out perfectly into beautiful fillets with only a damp finger run over it. Also, it dries clear and WILL NOT shrink appreciably as it dries, so it won't leave a fillet with as many holes in it as swiss cheese like regular carpenters wood glue or white glue will. The fact that it won't run means you don't have to worry about the rocket being propped up just perfectly while the fillet dries, and still risking the glue all running to one end or running down the side of the tube or something and making a mess. It can be a little difficult to sand (it's a little 'softer' when dry than wood glue, so it clogs up paper easier, but that isn't much of an issue since you glue the fins on normally with yellow wood carpenter's glue (I prefer Titebond II myself) using a double glue joint (so the fins go on as easy as using CA, with the good strength of carpenter's glue and without the brittleness of CA and risking gluing your fingers to the fins or rocket messing with CA, and of course the fumes from CA... ). Once the fins are dry, the TMTG fillets go on easy as pie. Usually you can get the fillets done with one pass, and you can do them ALL at the same time-- no more applying yellow or white glue fillets to two adjoining fins, and propping the model up perfectly level to prevent the stuff from running off the ends, and then waiting for it to dry or set up completely before doing the next adjoining two fins and having to wait for them... You can apply the TMTG to both sides of each fin all at once and be done, since the stuff doesn't run. For really thick or big fins, sometimes I DO go back and apply a second "layer" to the fillet over the first, just for a rounder, wider fillet, but that's totally optional. Not like yellow or white glue where you do your fillets, and come back later to find they're full of dimples, pocks, and holes from bubbles in the glue that popped as the glue dried, and having to reapply a second fillet over the first trying to fill in all the holes, and usually having to make a third pass to finally get the fillet all filled in and smooth.

Also, it's water based, so it's safe to handle, and cleans up easily, and there's virtually no waste, unlike epoxy fillets which has to be mixed up, wasting a lot of epoxy, applied with a stick or other applicator, handled and smoothed with gloves on (epoxy on your skin can lead to epoxy allergies) and ends up being much heavier than water based glues because there is no 'solvent' to evaporate in epoxy. Don't get me wrong, epoxy is GREAT for HPR, but we REALLY don't need the strength in LPR/MPR... standard balsa and paper tube construction materials are weaker than a good yellow or white glue joint anyway.

You can get the stuff beside the yellow carpenter's glues at any of the big box indoor lumberyard stores, like Lowes or Home Depot or Menards...

I'll see if I have a picture of the bottle for you.

Good luck! Later! OL JR

PS... the one thing about this glue that I wish was a little better, is that it kinda will dry out into some "globs" in the nozzle end after you finish using it, so the next time you use it you'll find some minor "globs" in the fillet, but they smooth down nicely with a dampened finger. It's just a minor annoyance, and I've found that replacing the rather crappy applicator tip they put on the bottle, with a screw-type small hole style bottle cap from a bottle of Elmer's regular white glue works MUCH MUCH better-- it applies easier, goes on nicer, and eliminates the 'globs' that tend to form in the tip. I use the same style bottle cap on my carpenter's wood glue bottles as well... I just keep the lid off the bottle after I use up a bottle of Elmer's white glue...

Hope this helps! OL JR

That's great info. Thanks!
Old 07-19-2010, 12:16 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
That's great info. Thanks!

Yer Welcome! OL JR
Old 07-19-2010, 01:26 PM
Paper Rocketeer

Short off topic ramble - every time I see the title of this thread, I keep thinking to myself: Why would anyone want to use sandpaper to laminate fins? I guess its a matter of where we perceive the missing hyphen to be!

Back to your regularly scheduled topic...

Greg
Old 07-19-2010, 04:30 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpoehlein
Short off topic ramble - every time I see the title of this thread, I keep thinking to myself: Why would anyone want to use sandpaper to laminate fins? I guess its a matter of where we perceive the missing hyphen to be!

At first glance that's what I thought this thread would be about as well!
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 07-19-2010, 11:11 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
...Sure... Titebond Moulding and Trim Glue (TMTG for short) is a thickened type of white glue. It's absolutely perfect for LPR rocket fillets IMHO. It goes on easy, won't run, cleans up with water, and smooths out perfectly into beautiful fillets with only a damp finger run over it. Also, it dries clear and WILL NOT shrink appreciably as it dries, so it won't leave a fillet with as many holes in it as swiss cheese like regular carpenters wood glue or white glue will...<big snip>

I wonder how close this is to MicroScale's Krystal Klear?

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635