Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2008, 11:06 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Default LOC Precision Aura

Hi there

This may sound like a really gormless question but here goes. The nose cone for this rocket won't fit in snug with the main airframe BT and gaffer tape, as with other rockets, won't work too well either. Now, I have noticed that along with the plastic seams that I have sanded off the nosecone there are two sets of three plastic lines on either side of the nosecone shoulder - these are aligned with two others, on each side, on the exposed nose cone. Are these for filling with something to create some hold in the main tube or am I barking up the worng tree and they are in fact just useless pieces of plastic?

Any other suggestions?

Would be most appreciative of any help you can offer.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:49 PM
Dazed and Confused

If the cone is too loose, just keep wrapping masking tape until it's snug enough not to wobble. Sounds like it may take quite a bit of tape. I think the lines you are describing are just lines from the mold. I've never seen an Aura in person, but I believe it's just a typical 3FNC mid power kit with a standard nosecone.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:38 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

the three lines - if you are refering to the rings around the cone shoulder ? , are indeed for help fitting the cone snug, they should generally be loose, and might need some sanding to be a good slipfit..

I;ve built and flown many LOC biords, including a pair of Laser-Loc 1.5 and one Aura, and have not had one sloppy fitting cone yet.. sounds like possibly a bad molding, might be worth contacting Barry at LOC and inquiring for a replacement.
Worst case you might need a few wraps of tape for a snug fit in the tube.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:12 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Thanks guys. Green Dragon, I thought that was probably the case - 3 thin lines of plastic with a ring around them. Anyway, have contacted LOC but bought the rocket elsewhere so don't know whether I will have any luck.
Many thanks for the replies anyhow.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:57 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Incidentally, **** shame, the launch lug is slightly damaged - I have another one 6.5mm but the length is 3/4 inch shorter...will this make any difference?
Old 08-02-2008, 07:15 AM
Craftsman

No offense to you Sam, but why is this posted under Rocket Doctor's area? This area's primarily intended for Rocket Doctor to answer our question or discuss his products/experiences from Estes. I'm sure he can answer your questions about the Aura, like many of us though.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:45 AM
Junior Rocketeer

My apologies if this is in the wrong place.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:01 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by samtherocketeer
Incidentally, **** shame, the launch lug is slightly damaged - I have another one 6.5mm but the length is 3/4 inch shorter...will this make any difference?

What is the total undamaged length and where is it supposed to be located on the rocket? If it is still around two inches long or better and mounted on the CG it is probably ok, at least for 24mm motors. If the lug is located away from the CG, a longer one (or two shorter ones spaced apart) is needed to help keep it from tilting and binding on the rod.

If you are uncomfortable with the length of the single lug at the CG, use two short lugs spaced several inches apart. On small rockets, they can be as short as 1/4", tapered at both ends for about 1/8" in the loop. With yours able to handle 29mm motors, I'd leave them at least 3/8" to 1/2" long, spaced several inches apart.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:41 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

the original LOC Aura used one long lug ( about 6" long ) placed at the center / CG .

if the lug is damaged, or even if not, what I liek to do is cut and use two shorter lugs spcaed apart.

say 1 or 1 1/2" lengths - on about 1/4" from the rear, and the other aprox where the front of the kit lug would have been .

my builtup Aura has the one long lug, but it does tend to 'rock' a little on the rod, being just in the center of the bird.

( should have brought that to NARAM for one last H50 flight, lol )

~ AL
Old 08-02-2008, 01:57 PM
Dazed and Confused

Not to mention, a pair of double beveled lugs look much slicker than a big long honkin single lug.