Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2008, 08:29 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
What I am curious about is, if anyone, wanted to start a new venture in this 21st centruy, how would you go about it .....

It would take a while to build capital so I'd be forced to start off small. I'd try to purchase a small stock of tubes from Euclid or other supplier in a few sizes and try to custom make as many of the other rocket parts myself as possible. Sell via mail order through an internet store front. Any money from parts & kit sales would be dumped back into the company. I've thought from time to time of doing a few limited kit runs of projects I've built but purchasing all the parts would price the kit well out of reach of what most would be willing to spend, even for a really nice rocket so having the ability to custom make some parts would seem necessary.

Quote:
who would you have.....

My dad. He expressed interest in what he could do after retirement and he is considering purchasing some new tools and building a small workshop at his house. We discussed a custom parts business for rocketry scratch builders and he seemed interested.

Quote:
and what would your objectives be.....

I'd want to build a few model rocket & mid power kits but like LOC with their novice kit series and SEMROC with there SLS kit series, I'd be sure to allow flights on Estes D and E motors on at least a couple of the larger dia. kits. I'd try to cater to the guy that doesn't have a table saw that needs his own fins cut from plywood, G-10, basswood or perhaps the guy that needs custom centering rings. Perhaps a basic rocket kit for dual deployment with everything included, even the altimeter sled pre-drilled for the altimeter of your choice with vent holes sized & pre-drilled in the airframe.

I'm laid up recovering from surgery right now and both Carl & Cheryl at SEMROC made me custom fins from basswood that are normally only supplied in balsa. It was a custom order, a terrific price and I couldn't have done them better myself even if I tried to. I also sent Barry at LOC an order for three sets of fins ..... one for a 2.6" dia. mid power design that he cut from 1/8" plywood and he figured the thru the wall tabs and cut for me. Both SEMROC and LOC did a fantastic job of supplying custom parts to my specifications, when I wasn't able to make them myself.

Supplying custom parts to the scratch builder with a few kits for sale to the rocketeer that wants a complete package would be my main objective. There is a market, albeit small for this type of business. Just look at the great job Sandman does with his nose cones. He has turned me some of the best hardwood, basswood and walnut cones you could ever lay eyes one. I've been able to recreate early 80's sounding rockets from SSRS/Crown that featured these cones and FSI clones with real hardwood HNC-101 Sandman cones to fit Carl's SLS grade LT-125 tubing. His prices are reasonable and his products are high quality and unique.

Carl @ SEMROC, Barry @ LOC/Precision, Gordon/Sandman @ Roachworks these are the go to guys for custom parts and there are many other possibilities of custom work / parts that could be offered.

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 06-20-2008, 09:07 PM
BoRocker!

I have sold every kit I have ever offered and did not make a dime. And I am not complaining a bit. I really enjoyed the experience and managed to break even. I consider it a success.

Considering past experience...to earn a living doing this would require a very LARGE infusion of cash to be invested in marketing, research, and huge quantity buys of components.
"An armed society is a polite society." - Robert Anson Heinlein
"Its a tale, told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing" - MacBeth
Old 06-20-2008, 09:59 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohica
I have sold every kit I have ever offered and did not make a dime. And I am not complaining a bit. I really enjoyed the experience and managed to break even. I consider it a success.

Considering past experience...to earn a living doing this would require a very LARGE infusion of cash to be invested in marketing, research, and huge quantity buys of components.

We're supposed to make a profit????

On my last batch of scale kits this is what I went through;

The initial planning, laying in bed at night designing the parts (yea, some people count sheep, I design stuff) computer CAD time, redesigns, time on the phone finding parts, time and travel to laser cut parts (the laser cutter I use is a 2hr drive away), changes in the laser cut parts, more trips to the laser cutter, finding the material to laser cut, finding & ordering tubes, shock cords, making metal motor hooks...then finding balsa, turning the balsa, misc. additional machining on the turned parts (drilling holes for nose weight, making plugs, making another trip to Home Depot to get screw eyes), pouring lead or weighing out bags of bb's, printing patterns and cardstock parts, running out of ink for my printer in the middle of a job and having to run and get more ink ,

WRITING THE INSTRUCTION!!!

More time on the computer...computer crashes in the middle of the job...OK I backed everything up...have to buy a new computer! Oh,so now I get to spend a day and a half loading all of my programs and backed up data into the new computer.

Finally got the kits finished...start to sell, get the orders write shipping labels, everybody pays with Paypal...they get their cut of the money up front! Wrap boxes with craft paper before shipping (people get mad if you just slap an address label on the kit box ).

Did I mention the price of gas?

My latest calculation is I make about $0.12/ hr.

Member Gus and I talked about this and he says I should raise my prices 'cause, "Gordy, you're worth TWICE that!"

BTW I love doing it!

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 06-20-2008, 10:07 PM
BoRocker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman

The initial planning, laying in bed at night designing the parts (yea, some people count sheep, I design stuff) computer CAD time, redesigns, time on the phone finding parts, time and travel to laser cut parts (the laser cutter I use is a 2hr drive away), changes in the laser cut parts, more trips to the laser cutter, finding the material to laser cut, finding & ordering tubes, shock cords, making metal motor hooks...then finding balsa, turning the balsa, misc. additional machining on the turned parts (drilling holes for nose weight, making plugs, making another trip to Home Depot to get screw eyes), pouring lead or weighing out bags of bb's, printing patterns and cardstock parts, running out of ink for my printer in the middle of a job and having to run and get more ink ,

WRITING THE INSTRUCTION!!!

More time on the computer...computer crashes in the middle of the job...OK I backed everything up...have to buy a new computer! Oh,so now I get to spend a day and a half loading all of my programs and backed up data into the new computer.

Finally got the kits finished...start to sell, get the orders write shipping labels, everybody pays with Paypal...they get their cut of the money up front! Wrap boxes with craft paper before shipping (people get mad if you just slap an address label on the kit box ).

Did I mention the price of gas?

Member Gus and I talked about this and he says I should raise my prices 'cause, "Gordy, you're worth TWICE that!"

BTW I love doing it!

I think you summed it up quite well!
"An armed society is a polite society." - Robert Anson Heinlein
"Its a tale, told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing" - MacBeth
Old 06-21-2008, 12:04 PM
Member in Good Standing!

Quote:

BTW I love doing it!

You mean $0.24/hr??

My boss thinks I make too much at that rate.

Lots of work, but from what I hear about you, Sir, you are Top Rate!!
Old 06-21-2008, 12:12 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketflyer
You mean $0.24/hr??

My boss thinks I make too much at that rate.

Lots of work, but from what I hear about you, Sir, you are Top Rate!!

My point is if you are doing it for the money...you made a really big mistake!

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 06-21-2008, 12:29 PM
Member in Good Standing!

Quote:
My point is if you are doing it for the money...you made a really big mistake!

Agree.

I know your reputation, and have a hardwood nose cone from Snaquin. Top shelf work. As for me, I'm so talented I need a ruler to draw a straight line.

Jack
Old 06-22-2008, 09:05 AM
Hooked Badly

Quote:
What do you think the future of the hobby will be, maybe that would be a better approach. Will the market be there to support a new venture?

There needs to be a watershed event that focuses the spotlight on rocketry and makes it "cool" to the masses. For example, where would this hobby be if Sputnik had been kept a secret to the masses?

The BATF needs to be restrained as all their rules and regulations have a dampening effect on the hobby. Easier accessibility will only help the hobby grow.

One thing is for sure, it will be interesting to see what happens to the hobby as all the Sputnik/Mercury/Gemini/Apollo-inspired rocketeers die off.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:31 PM
GET GOONY!!

My concern about starting a model rocket company is market size.

I believe that the market is too small for a third "big" player in the US. Model rockets that sell in high volume are sold at chains like Walmart/K-mart/Target. These are toys and not hobbiest directed model rockets. Even QUEST is having a tough time breaking in here.

Hobby Rockets are very well represented by Semroc, Fliskits, and a host of smaller companies. I wish them all the best, but there is a limit to how large they will be able to get, due to market size: How many rocketeers are there?

Excelsior Rocketry basically pays its expenses, but almost nothing more. If I had to add in drawing and development time into the price of decals, they would be $30 a sheet. No one would buy them. I make no complaints as I love to draw, and I love rocketry. I also get a great kick out of seeing others be able to finish their models with my decals.

I would start a real, national player model rocket company only if I won millions the lottery. I would buy property in the correct state, and produce model rocket motors. I realize that this would be a larger version of what I do now: A labor of love, that will need to write off a ton of overhead, maybe to the tune of 1/2 to a full million to get going. After that, unless the machines are running 24/7, the business would most probably still lose money...

Phred

GET GOONY!!

Last edited by excelsior_rocketry : 07-18-2008 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:14 AM
B.A.R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by excelsior_rocketry
Excelsior Rocketry basically pays its expenses, but almost nothing more. If I had to add in drawing and development time into the price of decals, they would be $30 a sheet. No one would buy them. I make no complaints as I love to draw, and I love rocketry. I also get a great kick out of seeing others be able to finish their models with my decals.

Are there any real tax saving benefits for owning your own business?