Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2017, 04:48 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by pterodactyl
SPEV K-59 1969: "We had an accumulation of parts in the warehouse that weren't being used. Either the kit that they were intended for had been discontinued, or some items had been over-ordered when the warehouseman thought the shelf was too empty. I gathered the various items on my desk and set out to find a rational way to combine them into a model. My recollection is that we just offered this in the MRN, and once the inventory situation was taken care of, forgot the design--until years later when Carl at Semroc dusted it off and offered a clone. If the Alpha is my favorite child, this is the kid you try to keep under the stairs."
I just find it amusing the SPEV (deprecated parts rocket) is so popular and all these years later is loved.

I resemble that remark.

The fact it has a literal name appeals to me.
Model rocketry is as safe as safe can be defined in human existence. Bow and pray: GH Stine, Orville, Vern, Lee, Lonnie, Carl, etc. No, really.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:33 PM
Master Modeler

Pat, is that your Alpha in post 120? It's an interesting mixture of time periods - it has a post 2011 motor mount arrangement but is painted in early 1970s livery. It does look like you have either a balsa or first-version plastic nose cone though. Balsa would match the paint scheme.

(This whole Alpha 50th project has turned me into an Alpha history geek....!)
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 09-21-2017, 05:36 PM
Opinions mine; not of NAR or MOF!

It's a modern Alpha with a Semroc clone balsa nosecone. I probably should have stuck with a vintage engine hook for the right look!
Old 09-21-2017, 05:38 PM
Master Modeler

That, and have the end of the motor mount flush with the aft end of the main body....that's really what I was picking up on.

The Semroc BNC-50K has a slightly less well-defined point than a real BNC-50K from an old kit, but it's much closer to the right look than the blow-molded cone that comes in the kits since 1993.....

Semroc sells serviceable versions of the old-style hooks.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE