Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2008, 12:06 PM
Master Modeler

I launched three on July 4th using A8-3's. I lost two of them. They just went out of sight of everyone in attendance and were never seen again. I like to think that, in honor of Vern and Glenda they just kept going.

The funny part is that this is the first time I've ever used an Estes A engine and I lost two of the three rockets that I launched using the little engine. I never really saw the need to use such a small engine.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:07 PM
German Model Rocket Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
I'm at the point of prepping my 18mm casings, having drilled out the clay from eight. Now comes a question:

I see that most of you are flying with 1/4 A3-3, 1/2 A3-2, and 1/2 A3-4 motors. Has there been enough experience with the Golden Scout to say which of these motors produce the most successful flights? Or, just the most pleasing flights?

I used a 1/2A3-2T. Was a perfect flight. Check out my video.

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino
Old 07-08-2008, 01:07 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
I'm at the point of prepping my 18mm casings, having drilled out the clay from eight. Now comes a question:

I see that most of you are flying with 1/4 A3-3, 1/2 A3-2, and 1/2 A3-4 motors. Has there been enough experience with the Golden Scout to say which of these motors produce the most successful flights? Or, just the most pleasing flights?

My concern was getting the rocket back. I thought I launched with a 1/4A but I see I actually used a 1/2A. I actually prepped two empty 18mm casings with the 1/4As but decided to use a dummy casing for lightness (less possibility of loosing a fin on landing). What I did was use a yellow engine block inserter (you know what I'm talking about) and installed a 13mm tube inside using two CR5-20s. The outside of the CRs had to be peeled down to fit inside the yellow spacer tube. The 13mm tube extended out the aft of the yellow tube about 1/4 inch and the motor, when installed, extended another 1/4 inch. Gave me some redundancy concerning the motor kick. If it missed the motor, the end of the spacer tube still could be caught. Also, if the motor did rebound back into the body tube, I still had most of the remaining mass at the rear of the rocket, thus, would still have a tumble recovery. Looking at the used motor, there is a very prominent dent where it hit the motor hook. Upon recovery, the yellow spacer was inside the BT. I don't know if this was a result of the landing or as a result of a rebound. Since the rocket came in tumbling, not nose first, I would assume that the motor rebounded. But, since the mass was so far aft, it was still able to tumble.

On the 1/2A3-2T motor I used, I saw the entire flight. No instability in ascent. Tumbled all the way to the ground. No charred fins. Sooty around the pressure vent holes.

First picture is of the dent in the motor. The next three show each vent hole.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  100_2290.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  166.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  100_2291.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  193.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  100_2292.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  162.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  100_2293.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  116.8 KB  
Old 07-08-2008, 01:19 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

I can't speak for the others, but I found the 1/2A6-2 flight to be the best. It flew considerably higher than with the 1/4A motors, yet was still in sight the entire time and still landed close (maybe 60 feet) to the pad. The 1/4A flights were pretty low, but they did land close. One was about 15 feet from the pad and the other about 25 feet (and almost on top of my grill...barbecued rocket anyone? )
Craig
Old 07-09-2008, 01:43 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

OK, the GS-348 has flown twice in Mobile, Alabama! I flew it in my backyard using 1/4A3-3T motors. On both flights, the model started off falling just as advertised, in a flat spin, but as the decent progressed, it changed into a ballistic fall. The first flight poked itself about an inch through the grass into the dirt with no damage. The second flight bounced, but still no damage beyond a little skuffing of the finish. There was a bit of paint bubbling between the vent holes from the deployment charge.

The first attempt (not counted) was a partial flight, BTW. The launch controller leads got hung on the motor hook and the model pulled the leads about 8' in the air. It dropped to the ground and the ejection charge fired after touchdown.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 07-10-2008, 01:43 AM
Banana Banger

Default Flight #0123

You guys using 13mm motors with adapters are cheating. Stick with the 18mm motor, as Vern and the Good Lord intended.

I flew mine on a 1/2A6-2 engine. Too keep it from sliding too far forward and charring the tube and fins, I stuck a bent paper clip into the front of the casing. This kept the rear of the motor flush with the rear of the tube.

I flew mine (#0123) on the 4th of July at the same time as Tater Schuld (#0474). Tater flew his on an A8-3. Both of them whizzed off the pad and disappeared. Fortunately, my nephew spotted mine laying on the ground about 60 feet from the pad. Tater's landed about 150 feet away and just missed the gravel road.

The hook did its job by holding the motor in place. Unfortunately, one of the fins tore loose on landing. It should be easy to repair.

The fins had only a little charring, much less than Tater's. I don't know how much difference was caused by the smaller engine and how much by the paper clip standoff, but whatever it was, it helped.

There was only a small amount of smoke haze down the sides of the tube near the exhaust holes. Hopefully I can wipe it off without damaging the decal.

Now that this Golden Scout has flown in the Sky of Gold event, it will be retired and proudly displayed in a place of honor in my newly remodeled underground laboratory.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  IMGP2397r Paper Clip in Motor.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  56.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMGP2398r Motor Flush with Rear.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  82.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  P1000988r Light Fin Char.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  92.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  P1000985rs Hole Smoke.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  65.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  P1000983r Fin Broke Loose.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  78.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  P1000981rcb Landed.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  205.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  P1000977cs Boosting.jpg
Size:  58.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  P1000976c Ignition.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  178.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  P1000972cr Ready to Drag.jpg
Size:  99.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMGP2408crg 0123 & 0474 Prepped.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  144.2 KB  

Old 07-11-2008, 04:26 PM
BAR

#085 took to the sky today. Nice flight but the motor completely ejected . The Scout sustained very minor damage some cracked paint on the nose and very slight burning on the fins. I had used a 13mm friction fitted into an 18mm casing with the 13mm sticking out about 1/4 inch. I think this is why it ejected. It's retired now
Old 07-13-2008, 06:53 PM
Hooked Badly

Flight #329 checking in from Needville TX. Flew a modifed Golden Scout (thrust ring added) on a 1/2A6-2. Flew great and the motor kicked back against the hook before tumbling back as designed.

Unfortunately the impact with the dry, hard Texas Tundra broke one fin straight back and another fin to the side. Some fin charring was also present even with the end of the motor sticking 1/4" out of the back side. No soot around the vent holes.

Was too chicken to fly the upscale GS.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:45 PM
rocket dinosaur

well I was successful in getting Sky of Gold #0189 up for 2 flights on 1/2A6-2's, temperasture was 82 F 40% humidity, clear blue skies and winds of 12 mph from the NW.
Both flights went essentially straight up and landed within 40 ft of the lauch pad.

attached are 3 pics from the flight.

pic 1 ia a shot setting on the launch pad
pic 2 is a shot of flight 2 laying in the grass
pic 3 shows the exhaust damage

terry dean
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  13-07-08_2029.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  28.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  13-07-08_2031.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  33.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  13-07-08_2039.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  33.3 KB  
Old 07-14-2008, 09:23 AM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

I flew Golden Scouts #635 and #636 at the same launch as Mikus, two posts before this one.

Motors used for both flights were 1/2A3-4T's shoved into a used 18 mm motor casing. I didn't use a shim of any kind, and both flights were perfect. Flew straight up very nicely, and tumbled back down very nicely, with the motor retained by the metal hook.

One fin on each Golden Scout was broken about 1/3 of the way down from the root edge. One broke straight back toward the center of the rocket, and the other one broke at the same place, but to the side. Apparently the gel CA fin attachment to the body tube followed by multiple layers of white glue for fin fillets was nice and strong! And apparently landing on the tip of a fin while the rocket is tumbling just results in too much force for these fins to handle.

There was some minor fin scorching and some soot around the outside of the vent holes, but nothing too major.

I'll get both of these repaired and fixed up in time to fly again at NARAM.

Now I'm off to register my flights at the Semroc Sky of Gold website.
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!