Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which takes more effort?
Texting 22 78.57%
Talking 3 10.71%
Both 2 7.14%
Neither! 1 3.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-05-2015, 07:56 AM
Master Modeler

Default Texting?

Texting takes your time and attention. Agree or disagree.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:31 AM
ReBAR Rocketeer

What really drives me nuts is using speech to text to send a text, then using text to speech to listen to it. Why aren't you just making a phone call?

I can sorta see it when driving and using hands-free, but I watched a guy doing it in the store the other day...
Old 07-05-2015, 10:17 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Text and email are store-forward not live. That conserves time if the need is not live or highly interactive.

No vote made.

Jerry
Old 07-05-2015, 10:25 AM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Some people do not know when or how to keep a phone call brief and to the point. Texting is the only way I communicate with them. And Caller ID also is a life saver when they call me ...

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 07-05-2015, 01:00 PM
Master Modeler

Text takes *me* more effort because I have crappy phone and it is a new media to me.

OVerall, speech is a much more effective means of communication, but there are certain things that text messages are better for. Conveying addresses and phone numbers and times, for example.

Worst thing about texting is a meta-phenomena: People stopping and standing right in the middle of a store aisle or sidewalk or parking lot to thumb away at their tablets.

One dork ran right into my car bumper while walking and texting. Not a kid eithr. I wasn't moving; I was waiting for him to notice me and walk to the side of the parking lot aisle.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 07-05-2015, 01:03 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Some people do not know when or how to keep a phone call brief and to the point. Texting is the only way I communicate with them. And Caller ID also is a life saver when they call me ...

In general, texting is more of a pain, so I generally talk when I need to have a two way conversation. However, I agree with Lee about folks not knowing when to shut up. Some folks I will only text, never talk due to that associated baggage. Also, if I need to get a message to somebody but it is not time sensitive, I may leave a short text. That way I don't have to worry about annoying them with a call.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:14 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
In general, texting is more of a pain, so I generally talk when I need to have a two way conversation. However, I agree with Lee about folks not knowing when to shut up. Some folks I will only text, never talk due to that associated baggage. Also, if I need to get a message to somebody but it is not time sensitive, I may leave a short text. That way I don't have to worry about annoying them with a call.

Quite true, agree with this completely...

I LOVE the "wipe to text" thing on my smart phone... works great. I can text single handedly while driving a tractor in the field most of the time. I've just learned to double-check what it's putting down-- a lot of words when "swiped" look alike and the phone doesn't always make the right choice. Fortunately it usually gives you a choice of at least two alternates and "learns" which words you use more frequently and then works better as time goes on.

I like the voice-to-text when I'm driving, but the stupid thing usually doesn't work very well... in the van it's okay, because it's pretty quiet, but in the pickup-- forget it. Wouldn't even try it in the field or on a tractor or combine-- too noisy for it to even work.

In fact, texting is about the ONLY way to get a message out on an open-station tractor (no cab) because it's simply TOO LOUD to hear even a phone call with the speaker turned all the way up and stuck against your ear...

At least the new phone has a better and more intuitive vocabulary for predictive texting... it's hard enough running a tractor in the hay field and texting at the same time-- don't need the stupid phone predictive vocabulary which seemed to have been programmed by weirdos in SoCal or something... Betty asks what I'm doing and I touch-type "I'm just out here baling hay" and I get a weird humorous reply from her, and look back and it told her "I'm just out here baking gays"... LOL

Stupid phones...

Later! OL JR
Old 07-05-2015, 06:04 PM
Almost shovel ready

I've never had any problem with either cellphones or texting. Perhaps that is because I don't own one?
Old 07-05-2015, 07:09 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacklin
I've never had any problem with either cellphones or texting. Perhaps that is because I don't own one?

You must not drive then, or you'd have a boatload of problems with cell phones...at least other people's. I can't tell you how many times I've had oncoming cars drift way into my lane. Their music is often loud enough that they don't hear my horn until they are very close, where I see their heads down looking at their phones. At dusk I see their faces lit up by the screens. I also can't count all the MVA's I've worked where a driver was texting.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:03 PM
Aspiring computational demonologist

I favor the appropriate mode of communication for the given circumstance.

My wife and I have jobs where we're often in meetings and can't take a call. Checking voice mail is a relatively slow process. It's much easier to send a text "pick up milk on the way home" that we can retrieve at our convenience without having to listen to voicemail prompts...

On the other hand, synchronous auditory interaction (talking) is a lot better if one needs to relay information in realtime and particularly if a consensual decision needs to be made.

None of this should occur while driving. My wife is still out of work recovering from a concussion from an auto accident where she was rear ended; the other person claimed they were following too closely, but based on the ~30 mph impact, I'm certain they were on their phone (text or talking) and not paying attention.

I see people working their phone while trying to drive all the time... drives me crazy.

Marc