Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 08:08 AM
Administrator

Default Design of Month

This is something I've wondered ever since I sent in my first "Design of the Month" plan many many years ago.

What ever happened to all the plans that were sent in over the years? I know some became kits and there were some that would have made great production kits.

Who did the judging?

Do you recall any DOM submissions that really impressed the kit designers at Estes?

Do you recall any that just cracked everyone up?

Thanks,
Buzz
Old 04-17-2009, 11:14 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle3
This is something I've wondered ever since I sent in my first "Design of the Month" plan many many years ago.

What ever happened to all the plans that were sent in over the years? I know some became kits and there were some that would have made great production kits.

Who did the judging?

Do you recall any DOM submissions that really impressed the kit designers at Estes?

Do you recall any that just cracked everyone up?

Thanks,
Buzz

Buzz,

The design of the month contest is something I wished had never gone away. If I had my wish I would re-kindle it starting right now.

Many nay-sayers have had it in their heads we stole design ideas from those entries. In the past we had on occasion actually been threatened with law suits that we had produced kits from those entries. I can assure you we never stooped so low as to do that. Wayne, Bill, and myself had the skill sets that never required borrowing designs from kids.

I have kept many of those entries and hold them in records. The reasons for this is legal. If anyone ever challenges us that we ripped them off, I can show when the entry was submitted and show THEE actual submission to any court.

And yes, several of the designs were cool, but impractical to produce. Then others from those who indicated that the submited design was based on the flying saucer design they were abducted in. Those just didn't make it to the finals.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:44 AM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDorffler
(snip)........Then others from those who indicated that the submited design was based on the flying saucer design they were abducted in. Those just didn't make it to the finals.

ROTFLMAO!
Old 04-18-2009, 12:25 PM
rocket dinosaur

Mike, this will expand the DOM question somewhat, what hapened to all the other entries that Estes got from their other contests, like the R&D one, the BG one.....do you still have those? These would date I guess from 1962 to 1967 approximately.

TIA

terry dean