Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2006, 04:54 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketguy101
Reading this thread, and a couple others on other forums about Centuri/EnerJet, especially about those fin cans, I dug out my old scrapbooks and scanned some photos from modroc conferences I attended in '71 to '73. I posted them here one of my picture pages --hope I remembered all the details correctly!

David Stribling

Great Stuff, David!! Thanks for posting.

Sean
Old 09-02-2006, 05:41 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Timm
Great info Steve!
I had similar emails with JI as well a few years back and he said the same thing about the red fin can.
I have some Enerjet 2-page fold-out fact sheets on the 1340 and 1340/20.
One part I haven't found yet is the 0.1" exposed shoulder payload coupler for the 1340.
Email me and we'll discuss some things further.

christimm@chartermi.net

Now I must go and check over the big-box-o-rockets for Saturday's launch.

WOO-HOO!

I was looking at the coupler used on modern Estes E2X kits ( the 1.34" generic ones with different names ,etc ), just the other day .
I'd posted re: how that coupler with .120" exposed was possibly close to the 1340 coupler ( although it;s 1.34 / ST13, not 1.25" ) .

Might make a good stand-in , or be modiified for use ?

~ AL

raining here again, launch postponed ( again ) .... sigh ...
Old 09-02-2006, 05:48 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
Great Stuff, David!! Thanks for posting.

Sean

to coin a phrase - AWESEOME

real good early info, thanks again.

~ AL
Old 09-04-2006, 05:12 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Reading this thread, and a couple others on other forums about Centuri/EnerJet, especially about those fin cans, I dug out my old scrapbooks and scanned some photos from modroc conferences I attended in '71 to '73. I posted them here one of my picture pages --hope I remembered all the details correctly!

David Stribling

Great pics David and thanks so much for posting! Must have been great to be there in person taking those pics.
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 09-04-2006, 05:20 PM
frustrated aero

yeah, too bad I didn't appreciate it at the time! We thought EnerJet (and Centuri) would go on forever...whoda thunk?
Get yer Barrowmans here
Old 05-21-2019, 04:12 PM
Seagulls Beware...

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
I don't have first hand knowlege of these answers from Lee or Larry Brown and I know you are looking for specifics Chris but here's a few things I have learned.

The original cone and transition were black. By 1975 Centuri was selling these capsules as the PNC-13E/ST-202. The EnerJet Egg Crate used this same capsule and the EnerJet Egg Crate was also pictured in some of the Centuri "Egg Capsule" ads that state it was black polyethelene.

Some of the fin cans in 1975 were "Centuri Orange" and "Hot Blue". Earlier versions were Red and were used on the Centuri Argus in 1973.

http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rock...a/73cen70g.html

I had some interesting conversation and posts with Jerry Irvine for the short time that the TRF2 forum was in existence, and while discussing the Historic EnerJet Two-Stage rocket that flew at Anaheim Stadium in 1974 (also designed by Larry Brown) Jerry also contributed information and details about other early EnerJet sounding rockets including an original SR1340 that he said he still owned. The molded parts on the original 1340 were all Red according to Jerry.

One thing I can tell you about the rocket in the 4th Ed. Handbook picture, if it is an original EnerJet 1340 the capusule base would have had to have been modifed to fit since the 1340 used tubing closely matching the dimensions of the Semroc LT-125 with a smaller ID than the ST-13. The capsule would not have fit because it was designed for ST-13 tubing. I built mine pictured below and used the Semroc LT-125 and did modify the capsule base to fit. If you look closely you can see a seam in the LT-125 tubing where I had to cut the capsule base and the tubing to allow this mod. and a short length of 1.25" dia dowel.

Determining exactly when that 4th Ed. Handbook picture was taken would help to determine the correct color of the fin can. I guessed at Red color based on the 1973 Centuri Argus because that's the earliest color photo of that fin can I could find and what I learned about the original EnerJet 1340. Perhaps someone else can contribute some more information in this area.

I hope this helps Chris. I always thank Sean for how well my SR1340 came out. It was his post and picture that brought me to YORF while searching for information on these early EnerJet rockets last year

The color of these fin cans are back in conversation now that Jack Hydrazine has produced a 3D print of them.

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/atta...tachmentid=2145

What I want to know is, where did that white fin can come from? Was it painted, or an authentic can that is extremely rare?

Dreaming of making the rockets I dreamed of as a kid (and then some).

"The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack."
"The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Launching is Optional... Landing? That Depends on Trees.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:38 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'Tesh
The color of these fin cans are back in conversation now that Jack Hydrazine has produced a 3D print of them.

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/atta...tachmentid=2145

What I want to know is, where did that white fin can come from? Was it painted, or an authentic can that is extremely rare?

If you’re referring to the white fin can on the standard 1340’s, yes, they are painted.

Sean
SAM #0031
Old 05-21-2019, 09:55 PM
Surfrajettes Fan

Dude!

ALL-TIME Necro Award -- a 13 year old thread!

Awaiting First Launch: Too numerous to count
Finishing: Zooch Saturn V; Alway/Nau BioArcas; Estes Expedition; TLP Standard
Repair/Rescue: Cherokee-D (2); Centuri Nike-Smoke; MX-774
On the Bench: 2650;
Dream Stage: 1/39.37 R-7
Old 05-22-2019, 07:25 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
Like the "EnerJet Boosted Space Shuttle" in the 1972 EnerJet catalog. The picture shows it was ready for flight. Did it fly? How well did it fly?
Both Mike Smalley and I made one of those and flew them with CA unapproved F67 motors of course. His at Anaheim Stadium and mine at Lucerne. He also flew regularly at a field near Hacienda Heights adjacent to the 60 freeway. I don't think any of my photos of that made it to the internet.

Jerry
Old 05-22-2019, 07:31 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
yeah, too bad I didn't appreciate it at the time! We thought EnerJet (and Centuri) would go on forever...whoda thunk?
We only love it because it died a quick and horrible death, and folks that followed the philosophy popularized and codified LMR and HPR for general consumer use, making a sufficient community of interest to notice. So Lee is famous for one of his failures. The good news is he put a fairly large dent in the universe thanks to the follow up by folks like Gary Rosenfield, Mike Smalley, Dave Griffith, Pat Miller, Jerry Irvine, Korey Kline, Bob Bruce, Tom Johnson, John Davis, Randy Sobczak, John Krell, Lonnie Reese, Scott Dixon, and others, all LOOONG before TRA was a glimmer of hope and before the midwest and north coast "adopted and cloned" our work. Except the motors of course.

Last edited by Jerry Irvine : 05-22-2019 at 09:11 AM.