Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
Exactly. 1968 was when Estes changed over from using English units to metric units for their motor designations. The motor chart in the 1968 Estes catalog cross-references their motors bearing the new metric designations with their previous English equivalents. I'm not sure when NAR S&T began using metric units for motor designations, but I believe it was a couple of years before that and that Estes took awhile to change over.

MarkII

My working theory is that they waited until the motor redesign / new Mabel to introduce the Metric-themed motor codes.

I remember having a few A5 motors back in the day, but don't remember them being "different." I might have just not noticed. They (and B4 motors) were specialty items, in that you didn't see them in the hobby shops and variety stores that my friends and I bought motors from.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:14 PM
Master Modeler

I remember the A5-2, which was one of the recommended motors for the Estes Falcon boost-glider. Is the B4 you're referring to the plugged static test motor B4-0(P) that was listed in their catalogs up until about 1969 or 1970?
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 11-11-2009, 06:14 PM
Master Modeler

I'm speaking B4 generically. B4-2, B4-4, etc. There was even a B4-0 at one point.

The B4-x probably started out as a relabeled B.8-x, and the A5-x as a relabeled A.8-x. Old motor technology items.

Eventually the B4-x was redesigned to use the newer motor technology, and the A5 dropped.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:13 AM
7/21/61

Reviving this old thread to ask a new question.

MMI also produced “Super B6” Rock-A-Chute motors, as well as separately labeled and distinctly colored booster and sustainer motors. All of these were produced by Vern.

Does anyone have any idea how these were packaged? I’ve never seen any packaging other than the original green label box for the Brown Manufacturing motors or the colorful box for the A4 motors that appears at the beginning of this thread?

Thanks,

Steve
Old 04-20-2021, 06:18 AM
rocket dinosaur

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus

MMI also produced “Super B6” Rock-A-Chute motors, as well as separately labeled and distinctly colored booster and sustainer motors. All of these were produced by Vern.

Does anyone have any idea how these were packaged? I’ve never seen any packaging other than the original green label box for the Brown Manufacturing motors or the colorful box for the A4 motors that appears at the beginning of this thread?

Thanks,

Steve

don't know about packaging but:
A4 = A.8-3
Super Type B6 = Type B.8-4
Old 04-20-2021, 06:20 AM
rocket dinosaur

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus

Thanks,

Steve

A4 = A.8-3

the A4 and Super B6 where 2 of the 4 motors used at NARAM-1 in July 1959.

That's an Estes Enterprises manufactured MMI Rock-A-Chute. These "Super" type B6 were introduced to the public by "Sam, the Spaceman" with a MMI ad in American Modeler magazine in July 1959.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  MMi As July 1959 Sammy the Spaceman.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  201.0 KB  
Old 04-20-2021, 09:17 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I still have a bunch of thick-walled A5 motors in both lengths.
The B4-0 was only available as a plugged B4-0(P).

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 04-20-2021, 08:37 PM
7/21/61

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
A4 = A.8-3

the A4 and Super B6 where 2 of the 4 motors used at NARAM-1 in July 1959.

That's an Estes Enterprises manufactured MMI Rock-A-Chute. These "Super" type B6 were introduced to the public by "Sam, the Spaceman" with a MMI ad in American Modeler magazine in July 1959.

Terry,

Thanks so much for posting that! I've never seen that ad. May have to find a physical copy.

Steve
Old 04-20-2021, 09:30 PM
Master Modeler

...and almost off topic: My maternal grandparents lived at 4106 So. Cherokee street for many many years. Unitl I looked at that ad, I had no idea MMI was so close to a place I went to every Saturday night when we lived in Denver and as often as practical after my family moved to New Mexico.....

Of course, I was coming up to my fourth birthday when that ad ran, so wouldn't have noticed/cared about MMI being that close, I suppose.

But we did, back then, live next door to a hobby shop on the other side of the city. I still have my first #1 X-Acto knife purchased there for 60 cents.

Now, back to MMI motors.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE