Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2010, 10:07 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Default Scamroc

Inspired by the Delta booster, I decided to build a truly fake, non-functioning Camroc clone, I call the Scamroc.

I culled some dimensions from the web, and an old post here, along with extrapolating some of the dimensions from various jpegs. I was thinking someone, tbzep I think, had posted the actual Camroc dimensions here on YORF, but danged if I could find them when I went looking

The Camroc section is BT-60, about 4.5" long. The forward plug is balsa. I turned the transition from cedar, then hollowed the forward end out to save a little weight.

For now, the camera section is non-functional. But, from what I've read of the original Camroc, mine will take almost as good of pictures

Seriously, I may add a camera later, most likely using a gum cam looking thru a mirror in a side mounted fairing.

I mounted the launch lugs differently than specified in the directions. Rather than putting one on each stage, I opted to put them both on the sustainer. This way, the lugs don't need to be aligned each time the rocket is prepped - instead they're permanently aligned. Also, I upsized them to 3/16", and used a standoff with the grain properly oriented, unlike the original plans, which had the grain parallel to the airframe

Again deviating from the plans, I made the booster 24mm. The coupler acts as the motor block. An external hook will be affixed to secure the motor. Two vent holes will also be added to facilitate gap staging.

The dark stain on the balsa is apparently just that. Supposedly, the wood had been used to decorate the set for a play, and when the production was completed, the wood was donated to DARS where it was subsequently distributed at a club meeting. I've built several rockets using it. The dark stain poses no added challenge.

I figured the 24mm booster would be handy in the absence of B14 boosters. I have a stash of C11 boosters which will be perfect for getting the rocket moving without taking it into orbit

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 06-29-2010, 10:16 PM
U.S. Manned Space Program Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams

Inspired by the Delta booster, I decided to build a truly fake, non-functioning Camroc clone, I call the Scamroc...

A very creative "Lie in the Sky".

Greg
Old 06-29-2010, 11:32 PM
Master Modeler

A simple, long-focal length pinhole "lens" video camera mounted inside the Camroc "mass model" might take good pictures, particularly on brightly-sunlit days.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 06-29-2010, 11:55 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

How about one of those "gum cameras" with the CCD sensor oriented through the top?

Or one of its many cousins? Isn't there already one in a barrel shape, tiny like a keychain flashlight?

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 06-30-2010, 07:07 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
Isn't there already one in a barrel shape, tiny like a keychain flashlight?
That would be perfect. I need to keep an eye out for one.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 06-30-2010, 09:31 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Looks really neat Doug !
If we can have an Astron Omega with a phony Cineroc, why not an Astron Delta with a phony Camroc ?
First flight HAS to be on an original vintage B14-0 booster though....

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 06-30-2010, 01:43 PM
Master Modeler

Looks good Doug!

Since it's already built you probably don't need the Camroc dimensions. I have one if you need any measurements.
NAR #62740 L1
AMA #46042
CMASS & RIMRA Member
Old 06-30-2010, 03:47 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
I was thinking someone, tbzep I think, had posted the actual Camroc dimensions here on YORF, but danged if I could find them when I went looking

Looks great!

You aren't going crazy. I posted the Cineroc dimensions.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:18 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Default Motor mount and shock cord

Here are some shots of the motor mount which will soon be installed in the sustainer.

Tape holds the string against the motor tube while the glue sets. A dab of glue was used to anchor the end of the string in place. That way it's not flapping around while the mmt is being installed. The tape will be removed before installing the mmt, altho that's not necessary.

The forward knot has not been glued. I'll re-tie it after checking the position to ensure the string stops short of the body tube opening. Then it will be locked with a drop of yellow glue. Similarly, the free end of the string will get a drop of glue to prevent it from fraying.

Above, the knot at the forward end of the tube was secured with a drop of glue, and the string was glued in place around the circumference.

In the pic above, the relief cut into the forward ring is visible. Also visible below it is a flat spot in the tube. The knot was sticking up and in the process of trying to flatten it, I flattened the tube a bit as well Fortunately, this is forward of the end of the motor and thus will not interfere with it.

The knot build-up is clear in the pic above. I used some kevlar that's a bit stiff. It's not that heavy, but feels like it's been starched thus making it hard to tie into a compact knot. I have some smaller stuff, but preferred this size for its expected greater durability.

I'll squeeze it in the rocket, and have to live with any bump I get in the airframe. It won't be the first time I've had this happen

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 07-05-2010, 01:31 PM
Master Modeler

When I use such thick Kevlar cord, I forego a knot and simply loop it around the motor mount tube (behind the rear edge of the forward centering ring) and cement it to the ring with yellow aliphatic resin carpenter's glue.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR