Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Swap Shoppe > Wanted: Dead or Alive!
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2009, 05:08 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Default MRC FX Engines

Currently building an MRC Iron Man and was wondering if anyone knew where I could pick up a few of MRC's FX engines. By the way, I am very pleased with this kit.................I was always an Estes guy because they had such a great variety of kits including some nice scale, but I have to admit that MRC got a bunch of things right................three different and interchangeable engine mounts, Kevlar cord, upscale parachute and an array of metallised body tube wraps and other detail pieces. Sort of reminds me of Centuri's much sought after Orion (virtually identical in size and shape). Anybody know what year this kit was produced? And was it an expensive kit? They sure put a lot of 'extras' in it! Too bad they went out of business.

Joe
Old 01-12-2009, 06:21 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
Currently building an MRC Iron Man and was wondering if anyone knew where I could pick up a few of MRC's FX engines. By the way, I am very pleased with this kit.................I was always an Estes guy because they had such a great variety of kits including some nice scale, but I have to admit that MRC got a bunch of things right................three different and interchangeable engine mounts, Kevlar cord, upscale parachute and an array of metallised body tube wraps and other detail pieces. Sort of reminds me of Centuri's much sought after Orion (virtually identical in size and shape). Anybody know what year this kit was produced? And was it an expensive kit? They sure put a lot of 'extras' in it! Too bad they went out of business.

Joe

Hey Joe....

You might be able to talk Scott out of some.....I sold him the last I had.

The Iron Man is a great kit. Just make sure you've got a good joint for the pods. My wraps are starting to come loose at the end but it's been built for....has it been that long.....15 years? Gee.

I can't remember what it originally sold for. The Concept II line sold for about $15. I think the Iron Man and the Trail Blazer may have sold for slightly more but I think it was under $20.

Notice the launch lugs? They were made so you could fly the rocket from a normal 1/8 inch rod or from a rail launcher that they sold. The launcher system they sold for the FX motors was like one you would use for clustering but it had two buttons. One for igniting the FX motors and then another for the main motor. Really neat to watch. I've got at least one of each of the Concept II line rockets, the launch controller, and if I looked hard enough I could probably dig up the launcher......nah....too much like work......
Old 01-13-2009, 12:39 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986

Joe

Bill Stine designed it and the whole Concept II line. Between the Enertek gig and his forming Quest, he was a consultant to MRC. I don't think he had anything to do with the original MRC line, which were unimaginative small ready-to-flys. Basically , the Iron Man IS an Orion. The MRC Concept II line came out in 1990.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:14 AM
Mr. Dual Eggloft

Location: Illinois: where our Governors make our license plates.

Or you might try substituting a MicroMax motor for the FX
Old 01-13-2009, 08:10 AM
Dazed and Confused

What size are the FX motors?

I've made smoke generators with old 13mm casings using KNO3/Sugar (different ratio than for use as rocket motors). You can also use ping pong balls to make nice smoke generators. Notice I didn't say " smoke bomb".

Obviously, you wouldn't use this stuff at a public/NAR launch, but if you launch in the pasture behind your house, you'd be good to go.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:23 AM
Master Modeler

And as the guy who came up with the name for that model, "Iron Man", I can tell you I got the name from the space capsule in the old Gregory Peck space movie "Marooned"... Just some rocket trivia for you there... The kits were produce in the early 90's. Bill designed them and MRC did a horrible job marketing them.

Even if you did get a hold of some FX motors they probably would not work right after all this time. I discovered that once they got older they burned like a mini highway flare with very little smoke... The Micro Maxx engines might be a better choice...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  rockets19sm.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  82.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  fx motors.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  60.1 KB  
Old 01-13-2009, 10:12 AM
Mr. Dual Eggloft

Location: Illinois: where our Governors make our license plates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
What size are the FX motors?

FX motors are the same size as HPR 1/4" launch lugs.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:52 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kaplow

I don't know if I could get enough KNO3/Sugar in something that small to make any significant amount of smoke. Next time I get out the hotplate I might grab a launch lug and see. How long are the FX motors?
Old 01-13-2009, 11:57 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kaplow

Hahahaha!!! That is TOO Funny!!! I love it! OL JR

Illinois-- Where our governors make our license plates.

Guess I should retort that I'm in:

Texas-- Where we send our idiots and crooks to Washington and re-elect the morons they leave in charge...
Old 01-13-2009, 12:14 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Thanks for the info guys! I'm going to keep trying to acquire a pack of FX motors. My understanding was that they were relatively long burners with negligible impulse and produced a lot of white smoke (correct me if I'm wrong, please). The Micro Maxx motors are very quick burners and, to the best of my knowledge, don't produce much smoke. Also, they do have some impulse, though very low. By the way, when I was a kid I once saw a homemade zinc/sulphur motor..............that thing produced tons of white smoke! Maybe I could try making a few of those if I can't find the FX motors.

Joe