Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2006, 05:55 PM
BP Mafia

Default I really don't want to talk about it anymore,...

... but you can read about my Saturday disaster near the end of this thread.
http://www.rocketryforum.com/showth...&threadid=18520
Earlier today I finished up the review that I started over two years ago. The whole experience has left a bad taste in my mouth. (Not to mention the smoke in my lungs.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Empire Bomarc in launch position.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  87.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Bomarc on pad.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  88.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Checking for hot spots.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  375.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Bomarc remains.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  83.6 KB  

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2

Last edited by A Fish Named Wallyum : 03-05-2006 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:31 PM
Retired Missile Technician

Hello Bill, I'm listening....

Many Moon ago, while stationed in Sacramento, CA (or as the SF Dj's called it, Sacratomato - think agriculture), I would fly at a field in Davis, CA that was actually a former sewage settling pond, since filled in with dirt. A lot of reeds grew there. I modified a plastic shuttle orbiter for rear-ejection from a plan by George Gassaway. Set it up at the desired angle required for a "verticle" boost and it pranged, the ejection charge setting fire to said reeds. This was in the late '70s and pre-cell phones, so one of the folks had to drive out from the levees and call the fire department. They were cool about it, except for our disturbing their "marguritas by the pool".
My only baptism by fire.

Then there was the skidmark at the NSL 2004? where I got to do the 200 yard dash with a fire extinguisher...

Here to help.

Chas
NAR 9790
Old 03-05-2006, 11:07 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
... but you can read about my Saturday disaster near the end of this thread.
http://www.rocketryforum.com/showth...&threadid=18520
Earlier today I finished up the review that I started over two years ago. The whole experience has left a bad taste in my mouth. (Not to mention the smoke in my lungs.)

Ouch!! #3 and 4 say it all....

Sean
Old 03-05-2006, 11:12 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
Ouch!! #3 and 4 say it all....

Sean

Yeah. Depending on how this turns out, it could be my rocketry swan song. I'm not sure if I'll be fined or charged with a squad run, but either is likely to spell the end for this hobby for me. I'm not in a great frame of mind at the moment.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 03-06-2006, 07:42 AM
Knuckle Draggin' Engineer

You've got my sympathies Bill, but you'll survive and hopefully the local busybodies will be too busy going after speeders, murderers, deliquent taxpayers, and rapists to bother with hitting on you guys.

Back in the '80's I was launching an egglofter at either a Ft. Worth or a Dallas contest using an E60. (I think it was in Dallas) The field had a lot of tall dry grass, just perfect for fires. The E60 lit perfectly and catoed ~15 ft off the launch rod. Needless to say, there was a lot of scrambling to put out the 15+ fires started using feet, a shovel , and the club's two fire extinguishers. I think Chas was there that day too. There were several E60 catoes, but mine was the only one that started a fire.

Joe W
Old 03-06-2006, 08:29 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

At LEAST 2 out of every 3 FSI E60's I tried to fly in the past CATOed !

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 03-06-2006, 01:58 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell
Hello Bill, I'm listening....

Then there was the skidmark at the NSL 2004? where I got to do the 200 yard dash with a fire extinguisher...

Here to help.

Chas
NAR 9790

So, you were one of several that ran after that fire at NSL - 2004?! Then I might have a pic
of you; took a series of pics following that Skidmark launch showing the aftermath -- on the
ground and in the air.

And, Bill, DON'T let this incident cause you to quit. I can relate a personal experience: Back in
1969 or early 1970, me and my cousins were launching some model rockets from our backyard there in Natchitoches, LA (we had a very large, open field at the time, suitable for
A & some B motors). I used the Estes electro launch controller system hooked up to several
six volt batteries for power. When one of my rockets (an Estes Alpha) drifted across the
street into a neighbor's back yard, we, of course, all ran toward to assist in the recovery.
Upon returning to the "launch site," we discover (to our horror) that most of the back yard
to our house was charred! Lucky for me, since my uncle was also nearby, he caught the
fire in time to use the water hose to put out the flames before the whole place could go up
in flames. Come to discover that hooking up the extra six volt batteries was too much for
the wiring to the launch controller, and that's how the fire started. I was still in my infancy
days in rocketry then (started in the summer of 1969) and that was a lesson that I've never
forgotten.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:28 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Yeah. Depending on how this turns out, it could be my rocketry swan song. I'm not sure if I'll be fined or charged with a squad run, but either is likely to spell the end for this hobby for me. I'm not in a great frame of mind at the moment.

Awww, Bill, it was an accident. It sounds like you did every thing right - no Safety Code violations. These things happen.
My brother and I were flying 10 years or so ago. We went running after a rocket (FSI Sprint, I think) leaving my sister to keep an eye on things back at the pad. We had our walkie-talkies with us, and I heard my sister trying to call us over the walkie, but she kept laughing uncontrollably. Finally, in between gasps of uninteligible babble, I heard the word "fire!". I ran back to where I could see her, and sure enough, there was about a 10 foot circle of burned grass around the launch pad. Fortunately, it was not too windy and there wasn't much that could burn, and my brother and I got back and put the fire out. The only serious damage was a melted leg on my porta-pad (the marroon one) and the wires to the controller were toasted pretty well. My sister thought that was hilarious
Apparently, a piece of igniter wire stayed hot enough to light some of the grass.

Sean
Old 03-06-2006, 05:00 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
Awww, Bill, it was an accident. It sounds like you did every thing right - no Safety Code violations. These things happen.
My brother and I were flying 10 years or so ago. We went running after a rocket (FSI Sprint, I think) leaving my sister to keep an eye on things back at the pad. We had our walkie-talkies with us, and I heard my sister trying to call us over the walkie, but she kept laughing uncontrollably. Finally, in between gasps of uninteligible babble, I heard the word "fire!". I ran back to where I could see her, and sure enough, there was about a 10 foot circle of burned grass around the launch pad. Fortunately, it was not too windy and there wasn't much that could burn, and my brother and I got back and put the fire out. The only serious damage was a melted leg on my porta-pad (the marroon one) and the wires to the controller were toasted pretty well. My sister thought that was hilarious
Apparently, a piece of igniter wire stayed hot enough to light some of the grass.

Sean

I know I did things by the book, but that won't pay the fine/fee if it shows up. I don't mind laying out cash for the hobby, but I can't justify something like this. The whole fiasco has left a taste in my mouth that likens to a stable floor. Maybe I need to take a break.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 03-06-2006, 07:40 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
I know I did things by the book, but that won't pay the fine/fee if it shows up. I don't mind laying out cash for the hobby, but I can't justify something like this. The whole fiasco has left a taste in my mouth that likens to a stable floor. Maybe I need to take a break.

Yeah, take a break; maybe build (or finish) those rockets you got started on but just haven't
been able to complete.

At least, you know that burnt grass will grow back even better than it was before (our backyard did!!). Too bad this isn't true with our hair...